[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

ww135AB.png

Introducing Konstruction!

Konstruction adds new parts and game mechanics to KSP centered around base and orbital construction!

Features:

Weldable, configurable construction ports, with auto-rotation and configurable parameters on the fly.  Once connected, these can be removed, resulting in a permanent joint between the parent parts of the two ports.  Design your assembly in the VAB, cut it up and add construction ports, reassemble in-situ.  Great for large bases and stations, or building larger vessels in orbit!

Konstruction also includes an array of parts that can be used to create forklifts, cranes, magnetic couplers, stabilizers, etc. - ideal for building vehicles to help with in-situ assembly.  If Module Manager is installed (not included till an official 1.2 version drops), the claw will have a magnetic grappler added to it automatically.

Lastly, Konstruction includes the absolutely adorable Akita Rover.  Small enough to fit in a Karibou cargo bay, great as a little runabout for your base.

0qDXpU0.png

And now the important bits!

Download Link

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Konstruction/releases

Donation Info!

If you like what you see, and want to help out (or just buy me a beer!), please consider donating, either via PayPal or Patreon.  

M9m07Qw.png    jQeqsVo.png

License Information

• Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license (see attached).
  • Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)

Edited by RoverDude

that feeling when someone comes up with a thing that you didn't even know you needed before you learned about it. I have a habit of making big ships , and the last one i did had a catastrophic failure during its escape burn because of the darn docking ports holding it together!

in short, this looks amazing. thank you!!! gonna give this a try now

Just now, Mekan1k said:

I will assume this will work in 1.1.3 as well... I'll let you know if it causes a problem.

I'm going to doubt that, actually.  Which means I'm not going to be able to get my hands on it for a while...

Quick question/idea: Would the crane (and/or any of the other similar parts) have the KIS 'ModuleKISPickup' module on them?  If not, could it be added?  :wink:  I haven't gotten a chance to test my modded in parts with that, but from what I understand adding that module should allow those parts to act as a 'kerbal' for KIS construction work - and you can set their carrying weight by part.  So instead of one Kerbal per ton of part you're trying to move, you could have one Engineer (to guide the work) and the part to 'do the lifting'.  (Much like cranes in real life.)  This for when you don't have one of your nifty docking ports available, but you do have an Engineer with tools.  (Or it wouldn't work for some other reason.)

(If you don't I'm already planning on modding it in to my own game when I can install these parts...)

3 minutes ago, inkwell said:

the spacedock page does list it as being for 1.1.3

Probably because that's the newest version of KSP that you can set a mod as being for on SpaceDock.

1 minute ago, mostlydave said:

The Akita seat doesn't seem to have the command attribute and cannot have crew loaded before launch, or is it just me?

I'm guessing that's intentional - it's just like the stock external seat.

Just now, mostlydave said:

The seat doesn't seem to have the command attribute and cannot have crew loaded before launch, or is it just me?

It's like a regular rover seat, you have to transfer a Kerbal there from somewhere else.

@RoverDude this is incredibly impressive and something we've all wished for at one point or another - assembling bases with rocket cranes is kina unrealistic.

I have so many questions, where to start...

Construction ports: Can the module be extended to other docking port assets? Does/can it use the stock angle-snap module? What do you mean by autorotate, is it what I think it is? What kind of joint does it create, is it a normal stack node or is there like an invisible two node part in there? Does KJR play nice? 

Crane/Actuators: What powers the moving parts, KAS, Infernal?

Slightly unrelated but it seems like you'd know:I've always wondered if the stock animation system could be leveraged for simple binary extended/retracted servos; I know you can't animate colliders but you can animate transforms, and there are transform based nodes so... maybe?

28 minutes ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

@RoverDude this is incredibly impressive and something we've all wished for at one point or another - assembling bases with rocket cranes is kina unrealistic.

I have so many questions, where to start...

Construction ports: Can the module be extended to other docking port assets? Does/can it use the stock angle-snap module? What do you mean by autorotate, is it what I think it is? What kind of joint does it create, is it a normal stack node or is there like an invisible two node part in there? Does KJR play nice? 

Crane/Actuators: What powers the moving parts, KAS, Infernal?

Slightly unrelated but it seems like you'd know:I've always wondered if the stock animation system could be leveraged for simple binary extended/retracted servos; I know you can't animate colliders but you can animate transforms, and there are transform based nodes so... maybe?

@RoverDude did this all from scratch.  it is all built in, no KAS or infernal.

I got a glimpse on some of the parts & mechanics in this mod on the past streams. Looking forward to exploring the mod in KSP 1.2.

I had lots of fun with the Packrat so the part I am most excited about is the Akita Rover. Thanks again for this great expansion to stock KSP :)