[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

29 minutes ago, chaossands said:

Interesting, I'll have to fiddle with the grapple a bit. I'm not sure how the magnet on it is supposed to work.

I've been working with the crane and magnet arm to exercise it, and I've gotten the general magnet functionality to work on them. As my testing has shown so far, the magnet when ON but target is OFF, it sucks in ANYTHING within range and roughly in front of the the magnet on the arm. Vessel targeting doesn't make a difference, in fact, I've even ripped of parts on the parent vessel with the magnet!  As I understand it, for the crane and arm magnets, targeting is supposed to limit the magnet pull to Magno-Pads within range, but I have yet to get it to work. That's an interesting idea though, do you have to have the object with the magno-pad set as the target vessel as well?

Ok, so just tried with the object with the magno-pad as the targeted vessel as well, still nothing. 

On a somewhat different note, is anybody here using kOS to control konstruction PAL parts?  I've tried walking the various ModuleServo modules within one of the crane parts, and I can activate movement, but I don't see any way of reading the current location location of the various servos. Likewise, I don't see any way to set goal mode (which would be very convient) for the movement.

Is there another way?  If not, @RoverDude, how difficult would it be to expose the controls within kOS? (Maybe within the kOS addon interface?)

On 11/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, RoverDude said:

Other  than MKS which i need to merge - was out for the weekend, so anticipate everything rolling out either Monday or Tuesday.  I may even get punchy and adjust forum thread titles :D

any idea if the mks merge will be save breaking? (will I be able to do a clean upgrade from the current constelation to the future mks)

On 11/11/2018 at 8:03 PM, RoverDude said:

Other  than MKS which i need to merge - was out for the weekend, so anticipate everything rolling out either Monday or Tuesday.  I may even get punchy and adjust forum thread titles :D

@RoverDude Any update on when you will have it all merged for a 1.5 compatible update?

I apologize if this is documented somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it on a poke through this thread or the Wiki.

How does the Grappler and the Forklift affect KAS capabilities and range?  I recall discussion about them counting as a number of helper kerbals and extending the range that a Kerbal can attach things with, but I can't find any specifics on exactly how many or how far.

Edited by tsaven

17 minutes ago, tsaven said:

I apologize if this is documented somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it on a poke through this thread or the Wiki.

How does the Grappler and the Forklift affect KAS capabilities and range?  I recall discussion about them counting as a number of helper kerbals and extending the range that a Kerbal can attach things with, but I can't find any specifics on exactly how many or how far.

Pretty much as you stated. They count as nearby kerbals with the stats that they have. You still need a kerbal to do the grab and place with. Which is interesting with 3.75m parts since the kerbal needs to be able to reach the com.

4 minutes ago, invultri said:

Pretty much as you stated. They count as nearby kerbals with the stats that they have. You still need a kerbal to do the grab and place with. Which is interesting with 3.75m parts since the kerbal needs to be able to reach the com.

I understand that they do, but how many kerbals do they count for is my question.

24 minutes ago, tsaven said:

I understand that they do, but how many kerbals do they count for is my question.

I like that. A kerbal can lift 1 ton, the value of the part is the amount it can lift, this is available in the ingame wiki. (20 ton for the forklift if i remember correctly). The range is also listed in meters (cranes reach further for instance)

Ok, I am having a strange issue with the PAL magnetic manipulator.
Looks like all the servos work besides the "wrist" ones. These are stuck it seems whatever I do. 

Does anybody know why this might happen?

OK, when looking into github, it seems that this is a known issue with MKS #1336
fortunately the magnetic crane works as intended, so I guess I will use that instead :)

Edited by Joonatanr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 11:52 PM, alphadawg5555 said:

I can't seem to find the construction ports in my tech tree, I used the constellation if that changes anything.

Edit: I found the issue.

People who ask for a help, but later say that they solved the issue and say nothing on how the did it - you'll have a special place on hell.

I'm going to try @RoverDude USI constellation in a stock 1.6 install (using cheats to work in career mode so I can test the tree too) over the holiday to see if there are any bugs the author needs to know about.  

I invite everyone to do the same, and help him out instead of asking when it will update.  I'd say pay attention to staging, tanks and other things that affect individual stage delta-v, since that's apparently the big addition to this release.

by the way, USI appears to works OK in 1.5.1 so far from what I've managed to do, but Im still kind of in the early stages, haven't left Kerbin SOI with anything manned yet.

20 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

USI appears to works OK in 1.5.1

No, it's not. At least Karbonite and Karbonite+ extractors (drills) and converters don't work with recent constellation USI_Tools. Rolling back to separate package version (with USI_Tools v 0.12....) fixed the problem.

2 hours ago, Horus said:

No, it's not. At least Karbonite and Karbonite+ extractors (drills) and converters don't work with recent constellation USI_Tools. Rolling back to separate package version (with USI_Tools v 0.12....) fixed the problem.

You left this out: from what I've managed to do, but Im still kind of in the early stages,  - I havent gotten into Karbonite yet, too busy doing contracts for bases and stations.  Thanks for the additional info for when I do get to Karbonite. Have you filed a bug report with @RoverDude yet?  He can't fix what he doesnt know about.  Especially something like a regression defect.

Edited by Murdabenne

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, AYes said:

Any plans to upgrade the mod under KSP 1.6?

@AYes Have you tried it under 1.6 ? because as far as I can tell it works fine...

The usual procedure is to try first then point out any issues if there are any.. regardless its rude to ask Mod makers about updates as per forum rules. 

14 minutes ago, AYes said:

I can not show the absence.
There is no weld button in the docking ports menu.

I just fired up 1.6 with the usi constellation release and the ports work fine.  So either:

1. you are doing something wrong

2. you have an installation problem

3. you have some other mod conflict.

either way without more information we can't help you.  Screenshots, screenshot of your gamedata folder, logs etc.

not all ports weld. only the ones from the Konstruction list do this(the white ports) and they may both need to be the same type (not size) to do a weld(I am not certain about this part- I just always use it this way).

as has been stated --need pics/logs

hope this helps

Jammer-TD