[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

2 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

@wile1411 Looks good to me and thanks for the summary!

Two minor details:

• I'm not entirely sure if the angle setting has to be the same if snap is Off. Could be that angle doesn't matter in this case (needs checking).
  • Roll force does not need to be >= 1 to exert a torque, you can also use anything >= 0.

Thanks for the info - I'll check as well. I've never noticed any torque with roll force at zero (and I kind of don't expect it either)

I do know that the angle setting has no effect if the snap setting is off. I think I remember @RoverDude adding that button for exactly that effect no long ago. I rechecked it just now on a career save and it's still working that way. Snap off = no specific angle docking - ie normal clamp-o-tron expectations.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1.1.3 version doesn't seem to be working for me. Are there any required mods i should know about. The only parts in the parts menu are the structural parts and the forklift. the crane, legs, wheels, etc. are all missing. i have tried a clean install, reinstallling the mod, and restarting my computer That didnt work

Hey all just had a quick question.  I tried looking through the conversation and it didnt seem to come up.  After I downloaded the Konstruction mod and started up KSP, I only had 3 new parts get added.  All I got was the docking ports.  Not sure where I went wrong as I just downloaded the file from the link provided and placed it with the other mods I have already downloaded for KSP.   Ive tried to redownload it already and use Github and Spacedock.  Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Georgeo said:

The 1.1.3 version doesn't seem to be working for me. Are there any required mods i should know about. The only parts in the parts menu are the structural parts and the forklift. the crane, legs, wheels, etc. are all missing. i have tried a clean install, reinstallling the mod, and restarting my computer That didnt work

If you mean KSP 1.1.3 - that version of KSP is not supported.

1 hour ago, AustinAU said:

Hey all just had a quick question.  I tried looking through the conversation and it didnt seem to come up.  After I downloaded the Konstruction mod and started up KSP, I only had 3 new parts get added.  All I got was the docking ports.  Not sure where I went wrong as I just downloaded the file from the link provided and placed it with the other mods I have already downloaded for KSP.   Ive tried to redownload it already and use Github and Spacedock.  Any ideas?

Confirm your version of KSP please.

8 hours ago, Georgeo said:

i'm talking about the mod version 1.2 with game 1.1.3.

in case that clears things up

Just to clarify for you @Georgeo this Mod only works with KSP version 1.2 and above the 0.1.3 you are seeing in the title is the mod version number, so if you are running KSP ver 1.1.3 then its very likely this mod will not work.

hey roverdude

i cant seem to get the akita rover to work. i put all the parts together as iv seen others do in vids, but i cant get a kerbal to sit in the command seat. i literally crawled all over looking for the "board" option but it never came. any help would be appreciated as this is a great mod that i would like to use to the fullest. 

i am running 1.2.2 and your latest update for the konstruction mod

p.s. i dont know if it matters but the command seat isnt in the command pod section (i thought that was odd) but i know you like your custom tabs

Edited by dboyse47

25 minutes ago, dboyse47 said:

cant seem to get the akita rover to work. i put all the parts together as iv seen others do in vids, but i cant get a kerbal to sit in the command seat. i literally crawled all over looking for the "board" option but it never came. any help would be appreciated as this is a great mod that i would like to use to the fullest. 

Try bringing up the right click item menu when your EVA'd kerbal is standing next to it.  There is no board action location as there is with other command pods.

@dboyse47

The Akita has a Command seat this mens you can't assign a pilot in VAB/SPH. But thus is a mod that enables it. Other workaround is to add a separator with a manned pod, decouple, EVA and man the Akita. Or add a module with manned option like Ranger Airlock or Science Lab.

And for "board" you have to rightclick on the Seat not the Cage.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

I managed to somewhat fix the problem of ports not acquiring, the things I did in order were:

1. reattach a different port with KAS and make sure they are oriented the same way. This alone didn't make the two ports acquire

2. Targeted something else and re targeted the port, which didn't seem to help either.

3. Tried controlling from the other module and docking to the port I had been controlling from, still didn't help.

4. Turned on snap for both ports, with the angle set to 0 still thinking maybe that would work, it didn't.

5. Switched back to the other module, Turned OFF snap on the port, switched back, and as soon as I turned off snap on the other port they jumped together.

I don't know if it's just the last step or a combination of all of them that fixed it. The port that I was using before was a root part, and the one I was using afterward was not.

How do I use the PAL Magnetic Coupler?  Ive positioned things below it but nothing happens.  Magnet strength is 100 and still nothing.  Ive checked the Konstruction wiki but cannot see anything on how to operate it.  And also when I go to action groups, all of the action groups have the PAL Magnetic Coupler already there, with "AG4 Command" as the action (replace the number with whichever action group it is)?

Edited by funkcanna

9 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I managed to somewhat fix the problem of ports not acquiring, the things I did in order were:

1. reattach a different port with KAS and make sure they are oriented the same way. This alone didn't make the two ports acquire

2. Targeted something else and re targeted the port, which didn't seem to help either.

3. Tried controlling from the other module and docking to the port I had been controlling from, still didn't help.

4. Turned on snap for both ports, with the angle set to 0 still thinking maybe that would work, it didn't.

5. Switched back to the other module, Turned OFF snap on the port, switched back, and as soon as I turned off snap on the other port they jumped together.

I don't know if it's just the last step or a combination of all of them that fixed it. The port that I was using before was a root part, and the one I was using afterward was not.

Do you have a sample save I can try? Also what was the roll force set to / was it disabled?

Edited by wile1411

am I missing something obvious?  how do I know where the "0 degree" mark on a Konstruction port is?  I mean how can I be assured of where they will snap when roll snap is set.  I have made 2 ship parts and when roll snap is on they snap at odd angles.  I need to be able to set the "up" direction when I build the parts to ensure that "up" is "up" on all the sections.  but I do not see any indication of this "Zero Mark" on the port itself.

EDIT:

ok I see on the mid size and large size there is a window in the door at the "top" however I am using the small size ports...  and I do not see any marker on them.  do I just need to bump my graphics quality up?  is there text on the texture I could be reading that says "^this way up^"?

Edited by Bit Fiddler

On 5/13/2017 at 2:50 AM, Bit Fiddler said:

am I missing something obvious?  how do I know where the "0 degree" mark on a Konstruction port is?  I mean how can I be assured of where they will snap when roll snap is set.  I have made 2 ship parts and when roll snap is on they snap at odd angles.  I need to be able to set the "up" direction when I build the parts to ensure that "up" is "up" on all the sections.  but I do not see any indication of this "Zero Mark" on the port itself.

EDIT:

ok I see on the mid size and large size there is a window in the door at the "top" however I am using the small size ports...  and I do not see any marker on them.  do I just need to bump my graphics quality up?  is there text on the texture I could be reading that says "^this way up^"?

This is just from my testing - so I'm only saying this from experience of repeatedly trying various combinations over and over again. Also what you are calling "roll snap" is listed as "Port Roll" in my description below.

Small size ports  - 0 / "top" position:
When you are looking a the small construction port, it has a line through the middle with solid dots either side. "Top" is when the dots are below the line. (Left port in image). Note: The right port is still set to angle 0 but positioned upside down. Medium and Large construction ports use the window to indicate orientation.

3MUgNiql.png
All Left Ports are upright / All Right Ports are upside down

2kk0j6Vl.png
Zoom in on small construction ports
Left = Port is upright / Right = Port is upside down

Using Port Roll (with Snap "on")
If you are using Port Roll - please note there is "stock game restriction" that causes this to ALWAYS use angle 180 so they will connect when the ports are upside down from each other. (This info is noted in the wiki under Roll Force)

Most people (myself included until I did a crap load of testing and reading) think that the Port Roll setting will simply rotate a port to the angle set in the ports Angle setting. Unfortunately this is not the case and you're forced into only two options with using Port Roll as it is currently coded.
Either:
   Port Roll > 0 and conform to the 180 restriction 
OR
   Port Roll = 0 and have no roll force exist when docking the construction ports.

If you want to have the roll assist with Port Roll set greater than 0, setup your ports to be upside down from each other AND
use the following settings with both construction ports:
 - Set Snap = On on both construction ports
 - Angle = 180 on both construction ports (expected orientation of ports is upside down to each other)
 - Port Roll >= on both construction ports (add more force for bigger parts)

I'd be interested to hear if you get any success with these setting too. :)

Edited by wile1411

1 minute ago, Bit Fiddler said:

hmm I wonder if better luck to use the MechJeb docking autopilots "force roll" feature or if this will still have issues... guess it is time to do some test builds.

I've used MechJeb's force roll for docking with these and it works well, at least in space never tried it on the surface.

as long as the alignment is not critical I guess this method will be ok

or I will also have to try the 180 out of phase idea mentioned by @wile1411

will need to up my graphics quality I guess so I can see those textures on the ports better

Edited by Bit Fiddler

On 5/12/2017 at 5:25 AM, wile1411 said:

Do you have a sample save I can try? Also what was the roll force set to / was it disabled?

I don't, unfortunately. It was on my career save which now has several more hours of time on it from when that happened. Roll force was set to 0 on both ports.

4 hours ago, Bit Fiddler said:

as long as the alignment is not critical I guess this method will be ok

Just wanted to say I'm not sure you need the qualifier: I've used the MechJeb alignment quite a bit, and it's spot-on alignment.