[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

8 minutes ago, InfiniteAtom said:

Ok. Why is it not on CKAN though?

No clue. I don't use CKAN. Maybe because CKAN doesn't let you install a mod on 1.2 when it's listed for 1.1.3? Maybe it sees internally into the mod that it's for 1.2 but listed for 1.1.3 and ignores it because of that? That's a question for the CKAN thread.

The better question is why doesn't SpaceDock have a 1.2 entry yet, but I assume the answer to that is that 1.2 isn't a real version yet.

Really the best option is to install it manually. Barring that, wait until next week when 1.2 is a real version.

It's not on CKAN yet if you're running 1.2-PRE.  However, if you manually download from the Spaceport link on the first post, you can see the ZIP file that downloads is 1.2.  Unzip that like any other mod and it works just fine in 1.2-PRE.  I just tried it out.  Has a few glitches with the arms where they stop working.  But the wheels and special docking ports work just fine.

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Go pester the CKAN folks then.  It is after all their tool.

@goldenpsp, if you actually READ the thread, you would know that it isn't in CKAN because of, among other things, a version mismatch.

Please keep in mind that this is a BETA.  1.2 IS A BETA

CKAN is not for betas.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@goldenpsp, if you actually READ the thread, you would know that it isn't in CKAN because of, among other things, a version mismatch.

CKAN is not for betas.

Well... I use CKAN for betas... but I don't complain when things aren't right, and I manually install mods which aren't available yet, revelling in the thrill of living on the edge. :wink:

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

CKAN is not for betas.

I did read the thread.  I read one person asking the same "why isn't this on CKAN" three times in practically one page. I suggested taking it to the CKAN thread as there are those who still don't realize that the "why isn't it on CKAN" reply is the functional equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard.

Edited by goldenpsp

55 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I did read the thread.  I read one person asking the same "why isn't this on CKAN" three times in practically one page. I suggested taking it to the CKAN thread as there are those who still don't realize that the "why isn't it on CKAN" reply is the functional equivalent to fingernails on a chalkboard.

But it isn't a CKAN problem, so taking it to the CKAN thread is useless.

The correct answer is:  It's a beta, and it's not on CKAN, and it won't be on CKAN until the full 1.2 release in a week or so

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The correct answer is:  It's a beta, and it's not on CKAN, and it won't be on CKAN until the full 1.2 release in a week or so

Missing the point but I'll let you win anyway.

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That presumes that the person whom you are asking - on a non-CKAN thread - knows anything about CKAN.

"Why isn't this on CKAN?"
"I don't know, ask on the CKAN thread."

...is a totally valid response here. It's exactly as valid as:

"I downloaded Mod X on CKAN and it's getting exception errors. Why?"
"I don't know, ask on Mod X's thread."

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That presumes that the person whom you are asking - on a non-CKAN thread - knows anything about CKAN.

Then you and I will have to agree to disagree on this question.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Dude,

I already let him win.  We don't really need to fan the flames that helped create the great CKAN vs. modders war of aught '16 (which was my point btw).

Weldable ports eh? 

Wow, instant download as soon as 1.2 becomes a realistic option . . . . which might be quite some time. I don't suppose there's any chance of a 1.1.3 version?

In regard to swapping out existing docking ports for their weldable versions, might this be achievable with KAS/KIS?

Edited by Bishop149

On 4.10.2016 at 4:44 AM, Mekan1k said:

Huh... The parts don't appear to work in 1.1.3. Oh well. :rolleyes:

construction ports work as normal docking ports (no option to weld) and crane is not recognized by infernal robotics at all - it's there physically but I cannot control it in any way.

I'd love to see 1.1.3 version too - with all the mods I have it would take time to port my game to 1.2

Edited by przybysz86

1.1.3 is nah gonna happen. Roverdude has already said that MKS .50 would be a save breaking update. These parts were supposed to be included in MKS but Roverdude posted them as a separate mod, at least in part, for testing because he needed MM to update before releasing MKS. I have no idea whether this will remain a separate mod as these parts are a core part of his vision for MKS. 

Edited by Tarheel1999

1 hour ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Roverdude has already said that MKS .50 would be a save breaking update. 

Uggg really? Oh well I won't be updating then.

I've still never gotten even close to end of the tech tree or achieving my long term goals before having to restart for a reason such as this.

Getting more than a little sick of it to be honest, I'd quite like to be able to actually STICK at a game for once.

Edit: having said that, the only part that would PROPERLY screw my current save if changed substantially is the OKS Habitation Ring. I would probably be prepared to delete any ship containing any other MKS parts if required to maintain compatibility. Any more details on exactly what will break and if there's anyway we could plan to mitigate the impact?

Edited by Bishop149

Your choice. It's been a long time since Rover had a save breaking update.   If you run a lot of other mods that have regular save breaking changes, that is the price you pay for a heavily modded install. You can of course just play stock. 

Keep in mind that Rover and most other modders typically don't offer support for older versions.

1 hour ago, Bishop149 said:

I've still never gotten even close to end of the tech tree or achieving my long term goals before having to restart for a reason such as this.

Getting more than a little sick of it to be honest, I'd quite like to be able to actually STICK at a game for once.

Edit: having said that, the only part that would PROPERLY screw my current save if changed substantially is the OKS Habitation Ring. I would probably be prepared to delete any ship containing any other MKS parts if required to maintain compatibility. Any more details on exactly what will break and if there's anyway we could plan to mitigate the impact?

Why don't you just run multiple copies/versions of KSP at once? KSP let's you make as many copies of it as you want. I usually have at least 3 different installs going at once. Keep your 1.1.3 game going, and get 1.2 on the side. Once all of my favourite mods have been updated, I tend to start to favor the new version, but I'll keep my old installs for a while, just for when I want to explore an old save for a bit. 

If you're "getting more than a little sick" of updates, keep in mind that you have the power to decide what you do with your own installs. So hold onto a copy of your 1.1.3 save, reach the end of the tech tree, colonize all of Jool's moons! Accomplish whatever you want to accomplish out of your current game! Then, when YOU're ready, you can stop playing that save, and focus on KSP 1.2. 

7 minutes ago, Merkov said:

Why don't you just run multiple copies/versions of KSP at once? KSP let's you make as many copies of it as you want. I usually have at least 3 different installs going at once. Keep your 1.1.3 game going, and get 1.2 on the side. Once all of my favourite mods have been updated, I tend to start to favor the new version, but I'll keep my old installs for a while, just for when I want to explore an old save for a bit. 

If you're "getting more than a little sick" of updates, keep in mind that you have the power to decide what you do with your own installs. So hold onto a copy of your 1.1.3 save, reach the end of the tech tree, colonize all of Jool's moons! Accomplish whatever you want to accomplish out of your current game! Then, when YOU're ready, you can stop playing that save, and focus on KSP 1.2. 

That's more or less what I do. I usually have one copy that works / plays one back up of this and the steam one which I update and is broken most of the time. 

My current game is actually still on 1.1.2 due to a couple of ongoing mod compatibility issues STILL dragging on. I've slowly culled out most of the mods responsible and I think I'm about ready to start trying to move over to 1.1.3, there remains one major conflict which may or may not make the switch successfully, reports vary. This is why I said 1.2 is unlikely to be playable for a while, its been getting on for 4 months since 1.1.3 and that's only just there.

As I said with the exception of that one part, it wouldn't be too trying to similarly cull MKS from my current save to hopefully allow conversion. I would not however be able to cull USI-LS, those parts are (obviously) on almost literally every ship! So as I said I'd appreciate someone pointing towards a description of exactly what is likely to break and how. . . . if such a thing has been posted.

As an aside it is not usually the case that a mod being updated is the cause of forcing me to abandon a save (this might be the first time!),no the usual reason is the opposite. The above process just stalling because some game critical mod is abandoned / updated so slowly that compatibility issues snowball. 

6 hours ago, Bishop149 said:

Weldable ports eh? 

Wow, instant download as soon as 1.2 becomes a realistic option . . . . which might be quite some time. I don't suppose there's any chance of a 1.1.3 version?

In regard to swapping out existing docking ports for their weldable versions, might this be achievable with KAS/KIS?

Given that 1.2 releases Tuesday... no sense in making a 1.1.3 version.

5 hours ago, przybysz86 said:

construction ports work as normal docking ports (no option to weld) and crane is not recognized by infernal robotics at all - it's there physically but I cannot control it in any way.

I'd love to see 1.1.3 version too - with all the mods I have it would take time to port my game to 1.2

Right... because this is 1.2

Sorry guys, to be perfectly, clear, a 1.1.3 version is *NOT HAPPENING*.

2 hours ago, Bishop149 said:

Every single part - including that hab ring.  Just put your save in another folder, and wait to start a new save on 1.2 when you are ready.  No big deal.

3 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

1.1.3 is nah gonna happen. Roverdude has already said that MKS .50 would be a save breaking update. These parts were supposed to be included in MKS but Roverdude posted them as a separate mod, at least in part, for testing because he needed MM to update before releasing MKS. I have no idea whether this will remain a separate mod as these parts are a core part of his vision for MKS. 

This will remain separate since a lot of folks asked for it :)