[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

2 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Hey guys, do your PAL cranes jitter as much as mine?

Even this little fella is definitely afraid of something :

H2poZ0B.jpg

His name is MRE, short for Minimal Reproducible example.

I could post a craft file, but that seems rather moot for a craft of 7 parts.

Does anybody have a fix for this?

Don't put wheels so close together. Keep them at the corners. Don't build 6/8 wheels craft unless they're really long.

4 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Don't put wheels so close together. Keep them at the corners. Don't build 6/8 wheels craft unless they're really long.

They're only so close together to make the example simpler. This one jitters even worse:

pIffGXB.jpg

This one does not Jitter:

Spoiler

2Bud2Tr.jpg

This one Jitters:

Spoiler

SBBVNXp.jpg

This one Jitters more:

Spoiler

RAW2P6r.jpg

I conclude that it's something about the wheels. Maybe there are some collider issues or something.

Can you guys reproduce these Results or am I the only one?

Just now, Kobymaru said:

They're only so close together to make the example simpler. This one jitters even worse:

pIffGXB.jpg

Oh ok, that set up works fine for me. It'd need two wheels in the middle for it to start jittering. I've been playing around and it's something to do with the outer hinge, i can reliable stop and start the jittering, although with this design it's still minimal by moving the outer hing from 0 to negative figures. Never happens with the inner hinge.

The coliders might not be staying perfectly upright? when moving.

@Kobymaru i notice your jittering examples all have the outer hing in negative values, try putting it to 0 and make it jitter while there.

3 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Oh ok, that set up works fine for me.

That's really strange. I'll try to reproduce this on my other Computer, but if this happens on a fresh install of KSP with only MKS, then I'm out of ideas.

It'd need two wheels in the middle for it to start jittering. I've been playing around and it's something to do with the outer hinge, i can reliable stop and start the jittering, although with this design it's still minimal by moving the outer hing from 0 to negative figures. Never happens with the inner hinge.

So have you been able to reproduce it, with the wheels apart? Do you mean are you using the adjustable Wheels?

If you can make it stop and start, what are the conditions so it doesnt jitter? Is there a possible workaround?

The coliders might not be staying perfectly upright? when moving.

For me it jitters wether it moves or not.

@Kobymaru i notice your jittering examples all have the outer hing in negative values, try putting it to 0 and make it jitter while there.

Putting it where? The regular wheels don't have servos. Do you mean the adjustable wheels?

12 hours ago, dlrk said:

What's the difference between Multi-weld, compress and compress (rotate)

I came to find the answer to this as well. Also there seems to be some controls for angle and rotation, that seem to do nothing as far as I can tell, anyone know what those are for?

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:55 AM, Daelkyr said:

Is there a good part to use for orbital construction? I'm looking for a Canadarm type solution. All the actual Canadarm mods seem to be non-workable right now and I was hoping this amazing mod might provide an answer.

The Buffalo mod contains a 'grappling arm' I'm not sure if it would work for what you want, but you can take a look:

13 hours ago, dlrk said:

What's the difference between Multi-weld, compress and compress (rotate)

Multiweld joins all docking ports, there is a gif somewhere that roverdude put together, it's basically for making ring stations. compress is the normal collapse both docking ports mode, compress (rotate) will rotate the parts to align the two docking ports before collapsing (keeps everything at right angles).

14 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I came to find the answer to this as well. Also there seems to be some controls for angle and rotation, that seem to do nothing as far as I can tell, anyone know what those are for?

Check out the KSPedia entry. I made this graphic for it, and there is some further explanations in there.

magnet%20diagram.png

35 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Multiweld joins all docking ports, there is a gif somewhere that roverdude put together, it's basically for making ring stations. compress is the normal collapse both docking ports mode, compress (rotate) will rotate the parts to align the two docking ports before collapsing (keeps everything at right angles).

Check out the KSPedia entry. I made this graphic for it, and there is some further explanations in there.

magnet%20diagram.png

I've fiddled with these controls in flight, when docked to my space station, but they don't seem to do anything in my game, do you have to use them in conjuction with the compress parts [rotate] to get them to function? I've been afraid to push that button.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

I've fiddled with these controls in flight, when docked to my space station, but they don't seem to do anything in my game, do you have to use them in conjuction with the compress parts [rotate] to get them to function? I've been afraid to push that button.

Roll, Range, & Torque are the magnet strength settings in those axis. Port Force is the overall magnet strength.

When you turn on angle snap the ports won't dock until that angle has been reached. So say you are docking a new 6 way connector and you want your new arms to be at 20 degrees to the other section instead of at a right angle. You set angle to 20 degrees, then when the port magnets pull together the dock won't engage, you can then either rotate your craft yourself, or adjust the roll strength of the magnet and when the angle reaches 20 degrees, it will then dock. This allows you to dock your modules at precise angles without going through the usual 'undock, rotate a bit, dock, undock, rotate a bit dock' procedure when trying to build at exact angles.

Sorry, to answer your question, no they don't do anything once docked. They are for use during the docking procedure to enable precise construction.

Roll, Range, & Torque are the magnet strength settings in those axis. Port Force is the overall magnet strength.

When you turn on angle snap the ports won't dock until that angle has been reached. So say you are docking a new 6 way connector and you want your new arms to be at 20 degrees to the other section instead of at a right angle. You set angle to 20 degrees, then when the port magnets pull together the dock won't engage, you can then either rotate your craft yourself, or adjust the roll strength of the magnet and when the angle reaches 20 degrees, it will then dock. This allows you to dock your modules at precise angles without going through the usual 'undock, rotate a bit, dock, undock, rotate a bit dock' procedure when trying to build at exact angles.

Sorry, to answer your question, no they don't do anything once docked. They are for use during the docking procedure to enable precise construction.

ah that explains things.

On 24/12/2016 at 1:46 AM, dboi88 said:

This is almost certainly because you've put them on upside down or on their side (it's really easy to do). 

Sniped by @DStaal

They should be this way round.

wheelprofile.png?raw=true

There's a full guide for all the wheels and parts with loads of images like this in the KSPedia entry available here, it'll be included in the next release or you can download and stick it in your gamedata folder now.

16 minutes ago, Tourman said:

Just tried flipping all of the wheels - it still acts the same way. I'm using the middle attach nodes to put on the wheels.

@Kobymaru I've just realized i was using the adjustable wheels and you were using the none adjustable :sticktongue:

It all clicked into place when i launched a craft with the none adjustable wheels and the whole world started shaking! I'd recommend using the adjustable inline wheel for now, the jittering is no where near as bad.

I hope I'm not being too dense here, but grokking the Servo Crane is giving me problems.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or wiki laying out all the features and controls in the Servo Crane UI? Preferably not a video tutorial, but if that is all there is I'd still like to see it.

Specifically, is there a way to set a set of pre-programmed positions that can be macroed or hotkeyed?

2 minutes ago, Mandella said:

I hope I'm not being too dense here, but grokking the Servo Crane is giving me problems.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or wiki laying out all the features and controls in the Servo Crane UI? Preferably not a video tutorial, but if that is all there is I'd still like to see it.

Specifically, is there a way to set a set of pre-programmed positions that can be macroed or hotkeyed?

You've got one, it's in the KSPedia entry :wink: to answer your question you can use the goal setting to preset a position before starting to move, you can use the master/slave and groups functions to make that a lot easier for things like wheels.

Also the wiki here

Servocontrol.jpg

1. Minimizes Part Settings
  2. Highlight Part
  3. Set Master/Slave
  4. Set Group Number
  5. Set All Parts Free/Goal
  6. Stop All Parts
  7. Adjustment Name
  8. Enter Goal Value
  9. Goal Value Currently Set
  10. Current Value
  11. Change Direction Of Adjustment
  12. Set Speed Zero
  13. Set Goal/Free
  14. Change Speed Negative Direction
  15. Current Speed
  16. Change Speed Positive Direction

I'm trying to build my first PAL for base construction, but it doesn't appear that the legs/wheels are really long enough to move a 3.75 tundra+cradle across uneven terrain.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully?  am I missing something obvious? (again)

Do the three types of lifting types need to be deployed in order to provide extra lifting capacity to an EVA'd Kerbal?

What is the effective range of providing help?

How much lifting power do each of the various bits provide?

Edited by WuphonsReach