[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

On 7/11/2017 at 5:40 AM, KerbMav said:

Can they be edited to do so? I know there is a way to make all sizes of stock docking ports be compatible to each other at least.

Possibly, but you may get unpredictable results

I apologize beforehand if this has been answered already. I've skimmed through this thread but couldn't find anything about it.

If I use the construction ports to construct say a station, can I then remove Konstruction from my mod folder without consequences to that station?

3 hours ago, kgbeast said:

Figured it out. It was Space-Y Expanded

I use those two together just fine.  Something else must be going on.

1 hour ago, Black-Two- said:

I apologize beforehand if this has been answered already. I've skimmed through this thread but couldn't find anything about it.

If I use the construction ports to construct say a station, can I then remove Konstruction from my mod folder without consequences to that station?

I don't believe anyone has tried this.  I don't see any reason it wouldn't work - but I wouldn't swear to it.  (I'm also not sure why you'd do this...)

6 hours ago, Black-Two- said:

f I use the construction ports to construct say a station, can I then remove Konstruction from my mod folder without consequences to that station?

I'm not positive, but as long as you have welded the ports together so there are no more parts from the mod actually on the station you shouldn't have any problems.  It would be fairly easy to test,start a new sandbox, set something up on the launchpad or runway, weld it together, save, quit and remove the mod then load up again and see if the test craft still loads.

Edited by Nergal8617

6 hours ago, KSPBurst said:

the akita parts don't show

Welcome to the forums! 

There are a few reasons that you might not be seeing the Akita parts. To figure out what's going on, we'll need a bit more information. For starters, it's best if we know which version of KSP and Konstruction you are running, as well as how you installed Konstruction (manually or CKAN). Also, screenshots of your GameData and UmbraSpaceIndustries folders will help us rule out simpler fixes. If we can't see anything obvious there, we may need logs from you. 

Oh, also, do you have Community Category Kit, and if so which version? I think the category for the Akita parts might be set to none, meaning they won't show up without CCK (since CCK uses tags instead of categories to display parts). If you don't have CCK, try installing it and see if the parts show up. That's probably the easiest thing to check.

On 7/20/2017 at 2:13 AM, kgbeast said:

Hey @RoverDude. Installing Konstruction crashes my game and I was hoping to get some assistance with that.

Here's the log and everything: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zwy5nql25yv3jj/2017-07-20_113514.7z?dl=0

And here's a mod list: cpu3oCP.png

I know that's a excrements ton of mods and the folders can have multiple mods in them as well. Let me know if this is not enough. I'll make a list or something then.

All mods are latest versions. Is there anything you see in here that is known to be incompatible with Konstruction?

On 7/20/2017 at 4:35 AM, kgbeast said:

Figured it out. It was Space-Y Expanded

I'm having the same problem and it isn't Space-Y Expanded that is the problem.  It is specifically the docking ports in Konstruction, the MAIN reason why I want this mod.  My game crashes on load when processing the weldable docking ports.  Has anyone found a fix?

Edit:  Specifically "Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortSr/dockingPortSr/dockingPortLarge" during loading screen is where the load process halts.  I'm under the impression that the base game doesn't like the Konstruction large docking port.

Edited by artemisrain
clarity

46 minutes ago, artemisrain said:

I'm having the same problem and it isn't Space-Y Expanded that is the problem.  It is specifically the docking ports in Konstruction, the MAIN reason why I want this mod.  My game crashes on load when processing the weldable docking ports.  Has anyone found a fix?

Edit:  Specifically "Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortSr/dockingPortSr/dockingPortLarge" during loading screen is where the load process halts.  I'm under the impression that the base game doesn't like the Konstruction large docking port.

I'm having no problem with this mod, Space-Y expanded and a ton of other mods, so it's probably something install specific

The message displayed on the loading screen when your load halts may be completely unrelated to whatever the underlying problem is. You need to take a look inside your log files to see what the last recorded messages are. This mod doesn't alter the stock docking ports so unlikely to be related.

On 7/24/2017 at 2:38 AM, artemisrain said:

On 7/24/2017 at 3:32 AM, Aelfhe1m said:

The message displayed on the loading screen when your load halts may be completely unrelated to whatever the underlying problem is. You need to take a look inside your log files to see what the last recorded messages are. This mod doesn't alter the stock docking ports so unlikely to be related.

I'm actually having the same problem as artemisrain, I have nowhere near the cluster of mods he has.  Our common mods are Kopernicus package, distant object, evironmental enhancement package, mechjeb, and Scatterer. The conflict has to be in there somewhere. When i install it on it's own.. no problem, when i run the others without it.. everything is fine.. when I put them together, it loads everything up to where it's about to launch, then crashes.

Edited by Talavar

16 hours ago, Talavar said:

I'm actually having the same problem as artemisrain, I have nowhere near the cluster of mods he has.  Our common mods are Kopernicus package, distant object, evironmental enhancement package, mechjeb, and Scatterer. The conflict has to be in there somewhere. When i install it on it's own.. no problem, when i run the others without it.. everything is fine.. when I put them together, it loads everything up to where it's about to launch, then crashes.

I actually solved this problem by realizing I didn't have the most recent version of the mod.

I'm having trouble getting the docking ports to actually snap to where they need to go.  Most of the time they don't even want to dock.  I've been through this thread a few times and tried the suggestions.  Snap is on, same angle, all other settings the same on both ports.  But it will not rotate it to where it needs to be before it docks.  I've tried 15, 30, 45, 90 and 180 degrees.  When it manages to, it's always just slightly off, as pictured.

These tanks were sent up as three identical launches.  The first two I managed to get together fine.  I honestly don't remember if it worked the way it should, or if was Compress Parts (Rotate) that did it.  I know, it's death, but I do remember it working for me once.  Every time since then has resulted in explosions.

screenshot37.png

screenshot38.png

The displayed settings are what they docked at.  You can see to the left the joining of the first two tanks went fine, but adding the third tank is always skewed a bit.

I have a few other mods installed, but I did try this with only Konstruction installed, and it made no difference.

10 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I'm having trouble getting the docking ports to actually snap to where they need to go.  Most of the time they don't even want to dock.  I've been through this thread a few times and tried the suggestions.  Snap is on, same angle, all other settings the same on both ports.  But it will not rotate it to where it needs to be before it docks.  I've tried 15, 30, 45, 90 and 180 degrees.  When it manages to, it's always just slightly off, as pictured.
<Snipped pictures>
These tanks were sent up as three identical launches.  The first two I managed to get together fine.  I honestly don't remember if it worked the way it should, or if was Compress Parts (Rotate) that did it.  I know, it's death, but I do remember it working for me once.  Every time since then has resulted in explosions.

I have a few other mods installed, but I did try this with only Konstruction installed, and it made no difference.

Not sure if you'd be willing to try your test again with Port Roll  (ie "roll force")  at 2 or 3 before you try docking? (you have it at 0 in both pictures) I'd be interested in see if "option 3" that I mentioned in the below post might be what you're after? Just a note that post is only based on my own experience and testing with this mod and it seems to be repeatable from my side with no issues.

However, unlike you I don't use the "Compress Part (Rotate)" as I've also found it's frequently kills stations - but not always - and of course it sometimes works too. Now, I find I never have to worry about rotating parts as I get the angle I want anyway.

Edited by wile1411

@wile1411No dice.  I've tried over and over, upping Force, Torque and roll in different amounts and different combinations, at 90 and 180 degrees.  It usually docks, but still at the same skewed angle.

I know this is probably completely irrelevant, but is there any chance it has something to do with the tanks not facing the same way?  I see no reason it could have anything to do with it, but I'm out of ideas.

screenshot42.png

I have a 4th tank on its way to see if it makes any difference.

Edited by Geonovast

Found the problem.  Somehow the port on one of these 4 identical crafts got rotated a few degrees.  No clue how this happened.  It's not lined up with the tank.  Appears the mod is working just fine.

My bad.

screenshot46.png

Edit: I mucked around in the save config file until I was able to reset the orientation.  Re-docked and Compressed.  :D  Rather proud of myself considering I had no clue what I was doing.

screenshot48.png

Edited by Geonovast

On 7/24/2017 at 1:38 AM, artemisrain said:

This is likely a memory problem. Most of the time when KSP hangs on the load screen forever it's because it's running out of memory. How much do you have?

My Konstruction wheels keep pushing through the surface of vall, and seems randomly rotate the bottom section by 90 degrees from time to time.

The image shows the front wheel on the right rotated though 90 degrees from where it should be and appeared in the SPH when I built it and the left wheel has pushed through.

Was there or will there be any improvement in multiport docking?  Only the two circled in blue are docked, I can't get more than two at one time.  From what I've read I should just scrap the project and re-design.

screenshot60.png

16 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Was there or will there be any improvement in multiport docking?  Only the two circled in blue are docked, I can't get more than two at one time.  From what I've read I should just scrap the project and re-design.

Would this Mod help? I've not used it much so far. I'm still early in restarting my career again so haven't got into station construction. That 30% reduction in science hurts more than I was expecting. :)

Edited by wile1411

I'm having trouble compressing two construction ports.  I have a Rockomax Brand Adapter, and a BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point, which have been docked together as part part of two vessels.  When I attempt to compress them, the one attached to the Adapter detaches and floats away, while the one attached to the Attachment Point stays attached.  This is the error I get:

Setting ISP of liquidEngine2-2 (Part) from 350 to 350

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

It is illegal for a joint to connect a rigid body to itself.

(Filename:  Line: 370)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartJoint.SetupJoint (Vector3 jointPos, Vector3 jointOrt, Vector3 jointOrt2, Int32 size) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartJoint.create (.Part child, .Part parent, UnityEngine.Transform nodeSpace, Vector3 nodePos, Vector3 nodeOrt, Vector3 nodeOrt2, Int32 nodeSize, AttachModes mode, Boolean rigid) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartJoint.Create (.Part owner, .Part parent, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent, AttachModes mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Konstruction.ModuleWeldablePort.PerformWeld (Konstruction.WeldingData wData, Boolean compress, Boolean fixRotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Konstruction.ModuleWeldablePort.MergeParts (Boolean compress, Boolean fixRotation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Konstruction.ModuleWeldablePort.CompressParts () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BaseEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIPartActionButton.OnClick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke (System.Object[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCallList.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEventBase.Invoke (System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents:Execute(GameObject, BaseEventData, EventFunction`1)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMousePress(MouseButtonEventData)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent(Int32)
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:ProcessMouseEvent()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.StandaloneInputModule:Process()
UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

(Filename:  Line: -1)

[UIMasterController]: ShowUI

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Game Paused!

I uploaded the save file to:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmi166cbsapp5b5/quicksave %2385.sfs?dl=0

The metadata file is at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/coh2e9qag5utdae/quicksave %2385.loadmeta?dl=0

The vessels are named Station Science 1, and Station Habitat.  I had another vessel docked via a grabbing arm, but I detached it, then detached the two construction ports, and reattached them in hopes that it would fix any root part errors.  I had a similar issue in the same game file when compressing Station Habitat and Mun Station (the MPL).  I don't know how I fixed it, but I was able to get them to compress somehow.

Thanks in advance for the help!

On 8/6/2017 at 9:49 PM, Zero_Out said:

I'm having trouble compressing two construction ports.

I found a workaround.  It looks like a problem with the radial attachment point, and the root part.  The root part of my station is the StnSciLab.  If you follow the dependency tree of the craft, the top of the radial attachment point is closest to the root.  That causes the bug.  If I undock the two stations, change the vessel type of Station Science 1 to probe, and redock, the root part becomes crewpod-observation-25.  Now the bottom of the radial attachment point is closest to the root, and I can compress the docking ports.

I don't know why the top or bottom of the radial attachment point being closest to the root part makes a difference, but it does.

P.S. I logged an issue for this in the github project:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/Konstruction/issues/52

Edited by Zero_Out

• 2 weeks later...