[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

18 hours ago, Zyme said:

Oh okay. I have ran the same mods with 32-bit before without any problems and read that 64-bit was buggy to play with.

Will try again then.

Hi Zyme, probably old news. I use the 64 bits for a WHILE with tons of mods. Never had a single crash...

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, 19chickens said:

I may be missing something, but is there any way to limit the deploy speed of PAL Wheels?  Right now, if I extend them all at once my craft flies six metres into the air and a wheel falls off on landing.

I've noticed that too, and I just avoid using the extendable wheels — or, if necessary, design the vehicle in the VAB with the wheels already extended, and then construct it with GC so it spawns that way on the Mun or wherever.

2 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

I've noticed that too, and I just avoid using the extendable wheels — or, if necessary, design the vehicle in the VAB with the wheels already extended, and then construct it with GC so it spawns that way on the Mun or wherever.

What I've ended up doing is using stabilisers and jacking the craft up onto that before deploying or retracting them.

On 2/13/2018 at 2:53 AM, AtilaElari said:

I really like the idea of welding ports, but my game crashes due to (likely) a conflict with another mod. Would anyone share some ideas about what kind of a mod may cause the conflict?

Well, first you need to look at your output_log file to see if the problem is obvious.  Then, if you can't find anything post a link to that file uploaded to a file sharing service, such as Dropbox or Google Drive, so the experienced players/devs can have a look.  Simultaneously, try to isolate the problem yourself by removing all of your mods except this one, verifying that the game doesn't crash and then add them back in one at a time until you get your crash.

Read this: How To Get Support (READ FIRST) - Technical Support (PC, modded installs) - Kerbal Space Program Forums

Edited by Brigadier

I should admit, I was wrong and assuming things I shouldn't have - that is, the mod crashes the game even on the clean install. I don't know how to read crash logs, so if anyone could spare a couple minutes to see if there's any obvious reason to that I'd be mighty grateful. Log

9 hours ago, AtilaElari said:

I should admit, I was wrong and assuming things I shouldn't have - that is, the mod crashes the game even on the clean install. I don't know how to read crash logs, so if anyone could spare a couple minutes to see if there's any obvious reason to that I'd be mighty grateful. Log

How much ram does your computer have? The log file shows that your game is crashing while loading Squad parts. It hasn’t even reached the Konstruction parts yet. It really looks like you are running out of memory. 

Also, that is not a clean install. You have the KSPmodfilelocalizer installed. Here are some suggestions:

1. Start with a clean install of KSP. Load that install and make sure it works. 

2. Download the latest version of Konstruction and install it. 

3. Download latest version of ModuleManager and install it. 

4. Load the game and report back. 

As long as you keep the dll from the mod, you can add the module to any docking port part.

I still use the old universal ports from Cpt Kippard (they're still my favorite astheticly), and have modified them to have the konstruction functionality.

an example of how you can add it with a MM patch

Spoiler

@PART[yourportpartnamehere]
{
MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleWeldablePort
        portSnap = false
    }

}

I suppose you could just add it universally for any part with ModuleDockingNode as well

Edited by TK421d

14 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

How much ram does your computer have? The log file shows that your game is crashing while loading Squad parts. It hasn’t even reached the Konstruction parts yet. It really looks like you are running out of memory. 

Also, that is not a clean install. You have the KSPmodfilelocalizer installed. Here are some suggestions:

1. Start with a clean install of KSP. Load that install and make sure it works. 

2. Download the latest version of Konstruction and install it. 

3. Download latest version of ModuleManager and install it. 

4. Load the game and report back. 

Thank you for your time. I did as you instructed (deleting GameData folder and having Steam re-install it makes the game clean, doesn't it?). The clean game runs fine. Mod still causes crash. I have 8Gb of RAM. Log.

Edited by AtilaElari

9 hours ago, AtilaElari said:

Thank you for your time. I did as you instructed (deleting GameData folder and having Steam re-install it makes the game clean, doesn't it?). The clean game runs fine. Mod still causes crash. I have 8Gb of RAM. Log.

Your game still seems to be crashing at the same point though. How much free RAM do you have when you run KSP? I would close all other unnecessary programs before running KSP. I’d also confirm that you are running the lastest versions of Konstruction and USI tools. The latest USI tools can be found here: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/UmbraSpaceIndustries/releases

Update - Taking another look at it...it appears you have chosen not to install Konstruction as it is packaged. Please redownload Konstruction and install ALL folders (even the ones you think you don’t want or need), download and install the latest USI Tools from the link above, and try again. If I had to guess, I would say your game is crashing because it’s looking for a resource it can’t find because you didn’t copy the CommunityResourcePack to your gamedata folder.

Edited by Tarheel1999

1 hour ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Your game still seems to be crashing at the same point though. How much free RAM do you have when you run KSP? I would close all other unnecessary programs before running KSP. I’d also confirm that you are running the lastest versions of Konstruction and USI tools. The latest USI tools can be found here: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/UmbraSpaceIndustries/releases

Update - Taking another look at it...it appears you have chosen not to install Konstruction as it is packaged. Please redownload Konstruction and install ALL folders (even the ones you think you don’t want or need), download and install the latest USI Tools from the link above, and try again. If I had to guess, I would say your game is crashing because it’s looking for a resource it can’t find because you didn’t copy the CommunityResourcePack to your gamedata folder.

Right you were, good sir! The cause of the issue was indeed in the lack of proper CommunityResource files. But the reason for that is that a mod archive on SpaceDock where I downloaded the mod did not have the appropriate folder at all. After downloading the mod from GitHub it worked.

1 hour ago, AtilaElari said:

Right you were, good sir! The cause of the issue was indeed in the lack of proper CommunityResource files. But the reason for that is that a mod archive on SpaceDock where I downloaded the mod did not have the appropriate folder at all. After downloading the mod from GitHub it worked.

It appears the space dock version hasn’t been updated for at least a year if not more. It lists the compatible version as KSP 1.1.3. Stick to Github for Roverdude’s mods.

I’m glad we got this sorted out. Game crashes are always frustrating. 

Hi, I am brand new to this mod. I have just started making a base on the Mun. I thought it would be very helpful to have a crane to help me move things around. I took a look at this mod, watched a video. I thought this seems rather good. I started making a rover type craft. All looks great, once I kinda got my head round a couple of things. Then the game crashed. Taking a look inside the output log I got a bit of a surprise. Lots and lots of this:

Spoiler

ERROR in ModuleServo (FixedUpdate) Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I thought this mod might be the parent of these messages. A, because it mentions Servo. B I was viewing the log earlier without this mod and these messages were not present.

I wonder if I have done something wrong or not done something I should do or ???

Can you help me out as I quite like the look of this mod and would like to continue with it if possible.

Here is the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1lp24m25jwbvxc/saves for Konstruction.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

Many thanks.

Hi there,

I am playing on both 1.2.2 and 1.3.1. Don't trust 1.3.1. fully ...

I have started in 1.3.1 in sandbox mode from the scratch and have amongst others also included  USI construction because of the weldable ports ... I started to build a station in orbit of kerbin and after I had the 4 major blocks/units welded together the station started to become alive. Switching back and forth to the Space Center seemed to help; it stopped shaking. So I started the next rocket with the 5th unit. Approaching the station  I selected both docking ports  (weldable) and ... the station became alive again and it was shaking so hefty that after 20-30 seconds  one of the before installed & welded parts flew way. The rest of the station stopped shaking.

I did  a reload and tried it again and again, different ports, nothing worked.  So finally just switched back to the station, no 5th part around and was thinking what to do and ... after around a minute or so the station started to shake again, until the same part, as aeach time before,  flew away. It its always the 1.part with the  PXL-9 Command  pod  which separates, may be this connection gets the most stress or ... 

Is that a known issue in 1.3.1 ?  Is it a problem with the weldable ports or ...  ? yes, yes of course, the kraken, have heard of it ;-)

Is there  a maximum no. of weldable ports allowed per ship/station ?

TIA, Joe

Edited by JoeeoJ
typos