[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

52 minutes ago, nekokamiguru said:

I am using a near fresh install of version KSP v1.2 and I am having difficulties getting the mod correctly installed, I have unpacked the file in the gamedata directory and only the construction ports are turning up in the parts list. I only have mechjeb installed as my only other mod. Do I need other mods to make it work properly or have I done something else wrong?

Make sure you put the CONTENTS of gamedata into your gamedata folder.  Your gamedata folder should not have anything like Gamedata\gamedata.  That at least is the most common mistake.

I tried this out yesterday on a space station to attach a fuselage and docking port to a 4 sided hub and after collapsing the ports half of the surface attached items on the station (RCS, solar panels) are floating about a foot from the station. reloading the craft didn't fix the problem, is this happening to anyone else?

For future planning purposes, a challenge to those of you who can already use this mod (it'll be a week or two for me - I'm running heavily modded, so I'll need to wait): Is it possible to use magnets to lift a full 5m Kontainer of say UraniumOre with a docking port attached up to a docking port, and have the dock be successful?

4 hours ago, mostlydave said:

I tried this out yesterday on a space station to attach a fuselage and docking port to a 4 sided hub and after collapsing the ports half of the surface attached items on the station (RCS, solar panels) are floating about a foot from the station. reloading the craft didn't fix the problem, is this happening to anyone else?

Happens sometimes.  I recommend doing an F5 before you ever weld anything.

4 hours ago, DStaal said:

For future planning purposes, a challenge to those of you who can already use this mod (it'll be a week or two for me - I'm running heavily modded, so I'll need to wait): Is it possible to use magnets to lift a full 5m Kontainer of say UraniumOre with a docking port attached up to a docking port, and have the dock be successful?

Depends on gravity, but you will really need a lot more magnets for that one.

9 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Depends on gravity, but you will really need a lot more magnets for that one.

I expected that it'd take a lot of magnets.  :wink:  But I'm setting up a network designed to fling kontainers around the Kerbin SOI for various reasons, and was wondering if I could build it so that my 'lander' crafts could drop them off and pick them up later - without needing to be pinpoint-accurate on landing.  I just wasn't sure if the magnets would interfere with docking.  (Power supply to lift it for a few seconds isn't necessarily a concern.)  As for gravity...  I'm mostly set up on Minmus.  (I haven't even surveyed Mun yet...)  So I'm doubting that will be much of a problem.  (And I'm not really planning on shipping around Uranium much - most of my loads will be much lighter.  But I plan around heaviest possible.)

15 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

How do I add the tweakables to my own docking ports? Adding the lines from the configs doesn't work.

Edit: I found it, looks like it's in the ModuleWeldablePort module. Any chance of that functionality being split out?

Why would that need to be?  Can't you just MM that module into any docking part you want?  Also I'm pretty sure if you look through the last couple of pages you will find a MM patch doing just that. 

14 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

Because I don't want every port to be weldable, especially by accident.

I'm sorry I don't know what you are asking.  Part Modules can be added on a per part basis by using Module Manager (preferred) or by directly adding the Part Module to the part's cfg file (not recommended).  You cannot add modules to a specific instance of a part.

3 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

No, I mean both the welding functionality and the tweakables come from the same module. I want to have a specific type of docking port, e.g. the stock ones, or a modded one, have the tweakables, but not the welding.

Sorry, I think your only solution there is to grab the code from Github and start hacking.  It's possible you could separate them in code and send a PR - but I'm guessing it's not likely to be something RoverDude would be very interested in pulling in.  More likely you'd have to create your own mod.

NEW VERSION FOR KSP 1.2 IS UP!

Also - if you want to grab the entire USI Constellation in a single zip... head over here:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/

0.1.3 - (KSP 1.2)
-----------------
Removed command probe options from truss segments
Fixed Akita wheel name
Magnets are now twice as powerful and use 1/10th of the EC

12 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Possibly wheels were put on incorrectly?

By extended legs I mean like, can you add a part which makes the legs i.e the wheels that are like claws, be longer. Tweakscale support wouldn't exactly do it as it makes it bigger in size, but like, could you make the wheel/legs parts be modular, that way you can add additional parts to make them longer

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

By extended legs I mean like, can you add a part which makes the legs i.e the wheels that are like claws, be longer. Tweakscale support wouldn't exactly do it as it makes it bigger in size, but like, could you make the wheel/legs parts be modular, that way you can add additional parts to make them longer

Not and still have them foldable, or without redoing the model

20 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

can you make them tweakable? I'm really worried if they can extend from the lander base to the surface lol.

Why would his answer be any different to this question?  The legs currently come in one size. If that doesn't work for you that's okay. Install infernal robotics once it updates and build your own legs. Or use girders and add wheels. Lots of options in this game if one particular part doesn't scratch your fancy. 

Hello Guys !

Thank you so much for everything you are doing, RoverDude !

I look forward to test this mod ! i am a great fan of InfernalRobotics and i am happy to see new modders on that kind of stuff ^^

I have some trouble to install this particular mod with Ckan (in fact, i cant find your mod on ckan anymore since i've updated KSP to 1.2, but i will investigate on the proper thread for that ^^)

Thanks you again !

2 hours ago, Cassiopee said:

I have some trouble to install this particular mod with Ckan (in fact, i cant find your mod on ckan anymore since i've updated KSP to 1.2, but i will investigate on the proper thread for that ^^)

Yeah im having the same issue right now :/

38 minutes ago, Stikkychaos said:

Yeah im having the same issue right now :/

it takes some time for updated mods to show up on Ckan. Sounding Rockets f.e. is already up-to-date and in Ckan. Just wait a bit, Kerbin will keep spinning even if you update the mods tomorrow or day after^^

16 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Why would his answer be any different to this question?  The legs currently come in one size. If that doesn't work for you that's okay. Install infernal robotics once it updates and build your own legs. Or use girders and add wheels. Lots of options in this game if one particular part doesn't scratch your fancy. 

I really like this mod, it has what I need without too much unused part, unlike infernal robotics