[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

Can I add a Konstruction Docking Port using KIS to a station already in orbit?  I launched a station and thought I put Konstruction docking ports on it but alas I used the regular ones.  So I sent up my 2nd stage of the station with Konstruction docking port and a KIS container with another port for the station side.  Used an engineer to attach it but ship wont dock to it?

For some reason, installing every mod of yours (sans Sounding Rockets and Orion) makes the Akita Rover parts unavailable in any shape or form. They're not listed in the parts inventory.

I haven't done a mod-by-mod installation because you have way too many mods (do you even sleep?), but Konstruction alone means I can roam around in the Akita. Konstruction plus the aforementioned means no Akita.

Please ignore. I'm an idiot.

Edited by Melfice

3 minutes ago, Melfice said:

For some reason, installing every mod of yours (sans Sounding Rockets and Orion) makes the Akita Rover parts unavailable in any shape or form. They're not listed in the parts inventory.

I haven't done a mod-by-mod installation because you have way too many mods (do you even sleep?), but Konstruction alone means I can roam around in the Akita. Konstruction plus the aforementioned means no Akita.

picture of your gamedata folder? And versions of the mod?

Honestly its easier to grab the constellation download and then just remove the sounding rockets and orion folders.

25 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

picture of your gamedata folder? And versions of the mod?

Honestly its easier to grab the constellation download and then just remove the sounding rockets and orion folders.

I've done that, actually. No Akita.

Huh. I'll try the constellation download again, and get back to you. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

EDIT: I think I found the issue.
Hold on to your seat.
1) You're gonna see something NOBODY does on the interbutts.
2) I'm gonna do it with so much gusto, it's gonna set the bar for people in the future.

I THINK I INSTALLED IT WRONG.
I'M A loveING IDIOT.

Thank you.

EDIT AGAIN: I'm not a newbie at mods. I have no idea how I messed that up. I do feel ashamed.

Edited by Melfice

Roverdude,

After changing the KIS grabMaxMass of the Kerbal, I was wondering if it would be a better idea to give an Akita part ModuleKISPickup basically making the Akita act like a big gantry crane?  Issue I have ran into, the G key is gear on a vehicle, G Key is Grab in KIS EVA.  So it makes sense to require a Kerbal on EVA to actually move parts around and just use the Akita to increase the mass than can be moved around.  This gives the feel of actually doing the work vs poof it magically moves around.

I want to add KIS to the Crane, claw, and magnet.  The key bindings are the biggest issue.  Any suggestions on what to assign Grab, Attach, Rotate and other KIS keys.  They are already assigned for a craft.  My thinking is to make the vehicle a support craft and still require the kerbal to be on EVA.  That way the Kerbal could pickup bigger things but it would not require multiple kerbals on EVA.

12 minutes ago, Boiler1 said:

I want to add KIS to the Crane, claw, and magnet.  The key bindings are the biggest issue.  Any suggestions on what to assign Grab, Attach, Rotate and other KIS keys.  They are already assigned for a craft.  My thinking is to make the vehicle a support craft and still require the kerbal to be on EVA.  That way the Kerbal could pickup bigger things but it would not require multiple kerbals on EVA.

Probably best to ask in the KIS thread.  In general KIS seems programmed around Kerbals, not crafts.  So they are going to be better at answering how/if you can add KIS capabilities to ship parts.

27 minutes ago, Gianni1122 said:

Is there a way I can change the scale of the "servo controller" UI? It's taking up 75% of my screen.

I second this.. it's all fine for those who have massive monitors, but if you have something like a 1366x768 laptop, the UI covers a huge amount of screen real-estate.

1 hour ago, Boiler1 said:

I think you could just leave the keys as they are for that - if the Kerbal is on EVA, it can use a nearby part to help lift, and you don't need to have the keys available for a craft if the craft isn't the 'active' controller when using KIS.

I am planning on doing the same, and sending in a PR with a completed config.  I can leave that to you if you want, or if someone could give me good ideas on what are the max lifting capacities are for the various parts then I could write something up.  (I was going to test that myself, but I can't run 1.2.)  I could set some random max amount, but I think it'd be better if they can only lift the same amount via KIS as they could via their normal controls.  :wink:  (Same with range: Set it to their reach, instead of just some big number.)

@RoverDude

Interesting glitch you may want to have a look at...

KSP 1.2 with Konstruction 1.6

I wanted to be able to dock some radial stages to my vessel which would be jettisoned later, similar to any radial stage.   But as you are probably aware, docking ports will not attach to radial decouplers.   So thinking I was awfully brilliant I placed the tt38k radial decouplers on my core piece, and then attached a BZ-52 Radial Attachment point to the decoupler.  Then I attached a clamp-o-tron construction port to that BZ-52.  Fire all that up into space..

Then for the radial stage that I wanted to add, I simply Added a BZ52 and another construction port to the side of my radial stage and fired that on into space (you see where this is going, right?  I'm a total mad genius)..

Got it all docked up, welded it.. And then tested to see how the decoupling would behave.  My thinking here is that I've got two BZ52's welded to each other and attached to the radial decoupler, should work great...

Staged it, and it appeared to separate, but the separated stage bounced around oddly and would not leave.  So I thought maybe it was the port magnet doing this, so I attempted to throttle away... But the engine on the radial stage also fires... KSP still thinks these are 1 ship, they seem physically still attached, but visually they are a few meters from each other.

So I close down KSP and restart it and go back to my ship... But now, the radial stage and all its junk is gone.  The ship looks as I would have expected it to look and everything is right with the world.

I retested using only the BZ52's, and a radial decoupler and no Konstruction parts, and the problem did not duplicate

Thoughts?

Edited by Kurtvw

14 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yes, you can KIS attach them... but note they stack attach only, they do not surface attach

Excuse my ignorance here but how do I stack attach?  What I did was grab it out of the KIS container and pressed R so that it would attach to the Nodes of the Multi hub.  But this did not work because the new station arm which was launched with a Konstruction port wont dock to the one I placed.

So after removing stock docking port and attaching Konstruction Port there was no grey extension with yellow band that auto generates around attachments on the multi hub.  So I F5/F9'd it and the band appeared.  So I gave docking another try.  She bounced around a bit and acted like she wasnt going to dock but I let her bounce for about 5 seconds and they I guess eventually lined up perfectly enough and docked!!!  HURRAY my first WELD and more importantly this means I can use and update my current stations!!!!  @RoverDude YOU ARE HERO!!  And I fully agree with whoever it was that said you are the reason I keep coming back to KSP!!!!

Edited by talon_65
Update:

12 hours ago, Boiler1 said:

But why do the key bindings matter if you can only use KIS functionality while on EVA. Unless something has changed, KIS will not work if the Kerbal is in a command seat, like the Akita. 

On 10/24/2016 at 7:54 AM, Well said:

Suggestion: paint the Konstruction Welding docking ports in "yellow Akita" with a mark of orientation ?

I second this. Maybe even just some akita-yellow "warning stripes" (visible when docked as well) would help a lot.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:16 PM, RoverDude said:

Glad you dig it - enjoy, let me know if you have any questions or hit any bugs

Well I was about to download it(after seeing SWDennis use it) but on spacedock the mod was for ksp 1.1.3. Will the mod still work with 1.2?

10 minutes ago, colfighter said:

Well I was about to download it(after seeing SWDennis use it) but on spacedock the mod was for ksp 1.1.3. Will the mod still work with 1.2?

Actually this willl only work on 1.2. It was released during 1.2 pre-release and Spacedock didn't have 1.2 option. Regardless, it is probably better to download from Github. 

https://github.com/BobPalmer/Konstruction/releases