[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

@RoverDude Any updates on the PAL forklift? I see it's been mentioned twice here & there's an issue on github... I  transported one to Duna, then discovered that the left fork doesn't collide with anything, so I can't actually pick stuff up with it. :( I assume this is its intended purpose, no?

Lesser issue: Any chance of changing the 'stow' sequence so that the forks don't hit the ground - i.e fold the forks before the mast pivots?

Edited by steve_v

Any chance of seeing a 3.75 m konstruction port? I'm thinking of delving into the files and trying to make an MM patch to turn a SpaceY 3.75m docking port into a konstruction one, but not sure if that would work.

3 minutes ago, marchingknight11 said:

I'm having trouble with the rover.  In fact, all the USI rovers seem to have a problem where the wheels don't work.  I attach them and the right click menu shows that the motor is running but the rover doesn't move at all.

You don't have them rotated correctly. There are some posts on this thread about it.

Recently started construction of a new station in orbit, and all of a sudden my construction ports won't attach. (I can dock with between two docking ports just fine, but a docking port and construction port or two construction ports just don't seem to see each other, snap is off). Thoughts? I'm out of funds to rebuild it.

1 minute ago, fwdixon said:

Recently started construction of a new station in orbit, and all of a sudden my construction ports won't attach. (I can dock with between two docking ports just fine, but a docking port and construction port or two construction ports just don't seem to see each other, snap is off). Thoughts? I'm out of funds to rebuild it.

Hmm, most likely caused by one of those two docking ports being the root part. They will not dock when one of them becomes the root part. I can only suggest playing with KAS pipes until one of the KAS connectors becomes the root part. Or you could do what i do in my career saves, if something breaks because of a bug then the cheat menu comes out. I'll replace the craft that's causing the issue with one faked into orbit with money added through the cheat menu.

17 hours ago, marchingknight11 said:

I'm having trouble with the rover.  In fact, all the USI rovers seem to have a problem where the wheels don't work.  I attach them and the right click menu shows that the motor is running but the rover doesn't move at all.

There are images in the KSPedia entry showing the correct orientation for each of the wheels. It's easy to get them the wrong way.

8 minutes ago, fwdixon said:

Construction ports are not compatible with regular docking ports. Is snap disabled on BOTH of your construction ports? Also, when you say they don't seem to "see" each other, are you still getting the magnetic attraction effect?

Just now, Merkov said:

Construction ports are not compatible with regular docking ports. Is snap disabled on BOTH of your construction ports? Also, when you say they don't seem to "see" each other, are you still getting the magnetic attraction effect?

no attraction whatsoever. 

Just now, fwdixon said:

That's odd. There are sliders for the magnetic attraction force, did they get turned down accidentally? There is a really handy image (I think It's on the MKS wiki) that shows which forces the various construction port sliders control.

3 minutes ago, fwdixon said:

That's the exact behavior i get with the root part issue. I'm now quite confident that this is your issue.

1 minute ago, Merkov said:

That's odd. There are sliders for the magnetic attraction force, did they get turned down accidentally? There is a really handy image (I think It's on the MKS wiki) that shows which forces the various construction port sliders control.

I made that :D it's in the KSPedia entry too.

edit: available here if anyone else needs it https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Functions:-Konstruction

Edited by dboi88
added link to diagram discussed

2 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

Is there a good part to use for orbital construction? I'm looking for a Canadarm type solution. All the actual Canadarm mods seem to be non-workable right now and I was hoping this amazing mod might provide an answer.

Not that I know of.

When I launch a new part, it has a construction port on the front end (to mate with the one on the station), and the back end is a small "tug", attached via a decoupler to the payload.  That probe has two to four of the 2.5m reaction wheels, plus the RCS tank and thrusters and about 500 m/s of dV.

I could do a reusable tug, but I haven't bothered yet.

2 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

Is there a good part to use for orbital construction? I'm looking for a Canadarm type solution. All the actual Canadarm mods seem to be non-workable right now and I was hoping this amazing mod might provide an answer.

Cranes and magnets are wild enough on a planet, i'd love to watch someone try and construct a station with one :D 

I do the same as @WuphonsReach and send new modules with their own tug. Then use the Konstruction docking ports to collapse the ports and finally tidy up with an engineer, remove RCS ports ect.

Hey guys, do your PAL cranes jitter as much as mine?

Even this little fella is definitely afraid of something :

H2poZ0B.jpg

His name is MRE, short for Minimal Reproducible example.

I could post a craft file, but that seems rather moot for a craft of 7 parts.

Does anybody have a fix for this?