[1.12.x] Konstruction! Weldable ports, servos, cranes, and magnets!

RoverDude

@Smurfalot,

i think the issue is probably parent = 0, which i think means that the docking port is the ROOT part of the craft that you are attaching to the station.

you can't weld a root part because from memory the welding is more than graphical, it deletes the docking ports and directly attaches the parts on either side of the docking ports.

the way to fix it is the launch a new module where the docking port isn't ROOT or use KAS(Kerbal Attachment System) to detach the part and re-attach it.

1 hour ago, Tabris said:

@Smurfalot,

<snip>

the way to fix it is the launch a new module where the docking port isn't ROOT or use KAS(Kerbal Attachment System) to detach the part and re-attach it.

Aww crap! 

Good catch noticing that! 

I would like to try to fix it in place instead of relaunching due to logistics. 

Do you know if I can pull the part off with KAS while it is still docked, or would I need to release the ship first? 

16 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Aww crap! 

Good catch noticing that! 

I would like to try to fix it in place instead of relaunching due to logistics. 

Do you know if I can pull the part off with KAS while it is still docked, or would I need to release the ship first? 

Technically you can't pull the part off at all - as the root part you can only pull other parts off of it...  (So you detach the rest of the craft from the docking port, then attach the docking port to the craft.)

I suspect you probably could do it with things still docked - but make sure you have a quicksave ready before you try.  Personally, I'd undock first if I had the spare RCS.

On 6/7/2020 at 7:29 PM, DStaal said:

Technically you can't pull the part off at all - as the root part you can only pull other parts off of it...  (So you detach the rest of the craft from the docking port, then attach the docking port to the craft.)

I suspect you probably could do it with things still docked - but make sure you have a quicksave ready before you try.  Personally, I'd undock first if I had the spare RCS.

Doing it still docked did not work, I was able to replace the parts and collapse them, but it left a permanent gap in the structure.

Going to just replace that wing of the station.

Edit: The plot thickens, I reloaded the save so that I would not have the gap and I put a new wing on the station across from the one that was malfunctioning. It is having the same problem, but to make things even weirder, when I tried to collapse the joint on the new one, the joint on the other side exploded, leaving a gap between the two sections like before.

I cannot undock it now, so I will have to cannibalize the parts if I want to get rid of that section and replace it with one that will collapse correctly?

Edited by Smurfalot

1 minute ago, Smurfalot said:

Anyone know if there is a way to edit the save to "manually" collapse those parts before I EVA out and disassemble the whole Port section of my space station?

If you wanted to get really punchy, you could figure out the offset and manually adjust the position of the various station parts in your save file.

50 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

If you wanted to get really punchy, you could figure out the offset and manually adjust the position of the various station parts in your save file.

Actually, this is exactly what I am trying to figure out now to close the gap where the clamps disappear on the port side or make the existing clamps function correctly on the starboard side that I sent up to replace the first side that messed up.

From what I gather, the Truss and the ISM are connected and have consecutive parents, as if the malfunctioning ports are no longer between the parts (visually there unless I collapse them). So I can either collapse them or remove them with KAS, but how do I close that gap?

Any tips on lining things up?

BTW is it intentional for those clamps to not be passable with CLS?

The port side that has the visual gap, but is otherwise connected and passable.

The stbd side is docked, but not collapsible or passable.

Edited by Smurfalot

14 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

Actually, this is exactly what I am trying to figure out now to close the gap where the clamps disappear on the port side or make the existing clamps function correctly on the starboard side that I sent up to replace the first side that messed up.

From what I gather, the Truss and the ISM are connected and have consecutive parents, as if the malfunctioning ports are no longer between the parts (visually there unless I collapse them). So I can either collapse them or remove them with KAS, but how do I close that gap?

Any tips on lining things up?

BTW is it intentional for those clamps to not be passable with CLS?

The port side that has the visual gap, but is otherwise connected and passable.

The stbd side is docked, but not collapsible or passable.

I don't use CLS so no comment either way :)  Tip wise - trial and error

On 6/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, RoverDude said:

I don't use CLS so no comment either way :)  Tip wise - trial and error

I gave up on trying to fix the gap and just launched an exact copy of the station using the orbit cheat to replace the broken station (sans construction ports).

Never done that before.

The only odd thing is the station does not seem to have any kind of helm control now, even though it in the correct orbit/velocity/etc. Anyone have a clue on that?

40 minutes ago, Smurfalot said:

I gave up on trying to fix the gap and just launched an exact copy of the station using the orbit cheat to replace the broken station (sans construction ports).

Never done that before.

The only odd thing is the station does not seem to have any kind of helm control now, even though it in the correct orbit/velocity/etc. Anyone have a clue on that?

If it's a new vessel, no idea on that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to use the PAL Magnetic Manipulator arm, and I can't seem to get the wrist to turn at all. Using the servo controller window, I can move any and all of the other joints on it, but nothing I do seems to get the wrist to move, either tilt or rotate. I've tried in goal mode and free mode, at various speeds, but nothing. Am I missing something, or is this possibly an issue because I'm on 1.10?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have troubling finding these parts on my tech tree. I see some of the PAL items but not the construction ports. What tech are they under? Either I am blind or one of my mods is messing up my tech tree for them. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 1:59 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

/YMMV/ /Test Before Use in Live Save Game/

I haven't used this in a spell - it is designed to ADD appropriate nodeType to stock dockingPorts. Use is enable patch when you want to weld, disable patch when you don't.

Hide contents

// StockDockingPorts.cfg v1.0
// Konstruction
// created: 15 Jan 17
// updated: 04 Nov 19

@PART[dockingPort3]:NEEDS[Konstruction]:AFTER[Konstruction]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
		@nodeType ^= :$:, ConSize0:
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleWeldablePort
		portSnap = false
	}
}
@PART[dockingPort2]:NEEDS[Konstruction]:AFTER[Konstruction]
{
	{
		@nodeType ^= :$:, ConSize1:
	}

MODULE
	{
		portSnap = false
	}
}
@PART[dockingPortLarge]:NEEDS[Konstruction]:AFTER[Konstruction]
{
	{
		@nodeType ^= :$:, ConSize2:
	}

MODULE
	{
		portSnap = false
	}
}

// zer0Kerbal// CC BY-NC-SA-4.0
// zer0Kerbal

Just a note that this is 1.10 compatible, and has saved me a HUGE amount of re-jiggering now that I've retrofitted Konstruction. Many thanks. I did use Dock Rotate to align things before welding, so I can't comment on how the built in rotate function works, but they all welded perfectly.

Edited by Kerbals_of_Steel

Trying to build a interplanetary ship in orbit in career mode and I can't compress the two construction ports on the craft I'm trying build. it says I can't compress because something is a root part. is there any way to change that in flight? or am I just going to have to scrap this entire ship because of one thing being off?

Hello!

I saw those construction docking ports quite useful, but it needs to be connected to another port to work properly, so I was wondering if is there a part like construction ports, but can attach to anything that doesn't have any port at all, kinda like a Klaw, but it serves the same as ports do.

Does that exist?

1 hour ago, Commodore_32 said:

Hello!

I saw those construction docking ports quite useful, but it needs to be connected to another port to work properly, so I was wondering if is there a part like construction ports, but can attach to anything that doesn't have any port at all, kinda like a Klaw, but it serves the same as ports do.

Does that exist?

Not that I've seen.  I would imagine that could get wonky given clipping issues and stuff if you have things connected that are not perfectly lined up.

• 1 month later...

uhh whenever i have this (In 1.10) i can boot up the game but i cant press any buttons on the main menu screen

Log file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zGWJv53VoDUt63SSQzUt-LTl-DnmbEno/view?usp=sharing

Will provide video modlist if needed, but i have a bit over 100 mods

EDIT: okay for some reason it works now from the github but the akita wheels are all wonky when i try to steer or drive, the rover just stay there and when i steer they go up and down instead of right or left, will test more parts soon

EDIT 2: the cradles legs wont extend and just flash and stay in their regular positions, the weldable ports are REALLY bright and it looks like everything else is fine, not sure about the magnets thought. the glitches might be on my  part cause in the first bit i said i have over 100 mods

Edited by Souptime