We have Modular Liquid Fuel Engines, is time too add Modular Solids as well...?

I kinda want to build my craft with stock parts, so it will make it easier for all community members to just download it and go without fiddling with Mods and crap

PS: I build all my craft out of stock parts, anyway. Thats what makes it challenging - build ships that look like the real thing with nothing but the parts that comes with the game

I'd like to see a couple of additional options for SRBs:

1. Procedural segmentation, as several people have mentioned. The same basic high-thrust solid rocket motor, with separate additional segments containing solid fuel and also perhaps a nose cone that contains some solid fuel as well.
  2. The option to set a permanent angle on the nozzle when building the SRB. I'd like this because it would make it far easier to make nice-looking asymmetrical launchers. Currently, if you want to make a vehicle like the Atlas V with uneven SRBs, your only good option is to put the booster on a long decoupler and angle the whole thing. It would be much better to be able to independently angle the exhaust (obviously though, this would probably have to have limits).
  3. The ability to set different thrust amounts for the duration of the SRB burn. Obviously they can't be throttled once lit, but whilst still in the VAB I would like to have a way to change the amount of thrust that a solid rocket motor will output at different times during its burn. This can be done in reality by changing the shape of the fuel when designing the SRB, and so it would not be unrealistic to have that option in KSP. I feel like it would be especially useful on crewed launch vehicles now that high accelerations can make kerbals pass out, because the SRB could be set to have a decreasing thrust (and therefore a fairly constant acceleration) throughout flight. It would also be incredibly valuable for unbalanced vehicles (such as most space shuttle designs).

Whilst I know that mods exist and I am certainly not opposed to using them, I think that more options for SRBs would be a good addition to the stock game.

26 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well it's a rocket fuel tank, it isn't meant for holding just LF. If that's what you want use a jet fuel tank.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to communicate. There's very few useful LF tanks in stock, currently, which is why you have the popularity of fuel switch mods.. You have the Mk2 tanks that only hold as much as the same length Mk1, and the Mk3, which are too large for many applications. Like I discovered recently, trying to build a nuclear orbital tug is an exercise in frustration due to the total lack of 2.5m LF tanks.

3 minutes ago, Jarin said:

I'm not sure why this is so hard to communicate. There's very few useful LF tanks in stock, currently, which is why you have the popularity of fuel switch mods.. You have the Mk2 tanks that only hold as much as the same length Mk1, and the Mk3, which are too large for many applications. Like I discovered recently, trying to build a nuclear orbital tug is an exercise in frustration due to the total lack of 2.5m LF tanks.

Yeah. They're mods. However they don't fit within Squad's "lego" style building. Not to mention the only time you'd be hauling fuel into space is for the nuclear engine which is a 1m part. There are LF only parts for that size.

Also, I find that using the mk3 LF tanks works perfectly with my nuclear space tugs.

9 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

However they don't fit within Squad's "lego" style building.

That's already got exceptions with the new form-swapping on the engines.

Edit: Nevermind, Porkjet's gone. No more part revamp hopes. Modding, to my aid!

Edited by Jarin

23 hours ago, Caleb Kam said:

I'm doing some replica build, and hit a stud, that is, Kickback is no longer powerful enough.

I really hope Modular SRBs are a thing....... What you guys think?

Are you wanting to add SolidFuel tanks to make longer boosters ? If so and you want to stay stock you could edit the Resources file in KSP/Gamedate/Resources and look for the ResourcesGeneric.cfg  you will see something like

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = SolidFuel
  abbraviation = SF
  density = 0.0075
  unitCost = 0.6
  hsp = 920
  flowMode = NO_FLOW <------ Change to ( STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH )
  transfer = NONE  <-----  change to ( PUMP )
  isTweakable = true
  volume = 5
}

So it looks like 

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = SolidFuel
  abbraviation = SF
  density = 0.0075
  unitCost = 0.6
  hsp = 920
  flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH 
  transfer = PUMP  
  isTweakable = true
  volume = 5
}

16 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

Are you wanting to add SolidFuel tanks to make longer boosters ? If so and you want to stay stock you could edit the Resources file in KSP/Gamedate/Resources and look for the ResourcesGeneric.cfg  you will see something like [...]

If the OP did that, he might as well just copy and edit a version of the Kickback that has the thrust and fuel numbers he needs. Also, all SolidFuel containing parts are engines. He'd have to make SolidFuel-only parts from 1.25m parts as well (assuming he still wants to keep aesthetics and such).

21 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

If the OP did that, he might as well just copy and edit a version of the Kickback that has the thrust and fuel numbers he needs. Also, all SolidFuel containing parts are engines. He'd have to make SolidFuel-only parts from 1.25m parts as well (assuming he still wants to keep aesthetics and such).

Maybe he doesn't want one that tall ? maybe just alittle bigger  ? And you can rescale any part you want to what ever size just by editing the cfg no mod needed or change any engine to burn what ever fuel or by what i posted you could make a solidfuel tank and stack them on the RT-5 or RT-10 or even the Bacc or go for a big kickback and stack on it the best part is that we all can play how ever we want and change to what we want.

1 hour ago, MeCripp said:

Are you wanting to add SolidFuel tanks to make longer boosters ? If so and you want to stay stock you could edit the Resources file in KSP/Gamedate/Resources and look for the ResourcesGeneric.cfg  you will see something like

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = SolidFuel
  abbraviation = SF
  density = 0.0075
  unitCost = 0.6
  hsp = 920
  flowMode = NO_FLOW <------ Change to ( STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH )
  transfer = NONE  <-----  change to ( PUMP )
  isTweakable = true
  volume = 5
}

So it looks like 

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = SolidFuel
  abbraviation = SF
  density = 0.0075
  unitCost = 0.6
  hsp = 920
  flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEARCH 
  transfer = PUMP  
  isTweakable = true
  volume = 5
}

What if you do flowMode = STACK_PRIORITY_SEACH and transfer = NONE?  Would that "drain" (burn) solid fuel in connected parts with solid fuel while preventing you from transfering solid fuel between loaded SRBs and burned out SRBs?  (Cause, you know, you can't do that IRL)

11 hours ago, MeCripp said:

Great approach, but as soon as you modify a game component you're not "staying stock" anymore :wink:

I believe that in some real life SRBs they can change the number of fuel segments. A system where you select a nozzle and then stack on fuel segments could be developed for SRBs.

Edited by tjt

8 hours ago, tjt said:

Great approach, but as soon as you modify a game component you're not "staying stock" anymore :wink:

I believe that in some real life SRBs they can change the number of fuel segments. A system where you select a nozzle and then stack on fuel segments could be developed for SRBs.

A Kerbal does what a kerbals got to do :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.