Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear release date and more!

UomoCapra

Thank you to all the developers who made this update as expected, because of the functionalities it adds, but also by the massive cleaning of the core games.

Personally, I still expected visual improvement of the games, and new gameplay: AI, colonization, defense, attack planet, base ...

Possibly the multi.

And these improvements, I would be ready to pay.

6 hours ago, birdog357 said:

Halo hasn't been updated in 10 years, save for the remaster which was sold as another product. There have been 6 other FPS games and two RTS in the series to generate money. Squad must do something to generate income or they cease to exist.

Well, you know, that's part of why that isn't at all my point. Microsoft moved on to Halo 2. They made something new to generate profits instead of trying to milk profits from Halo 1 for all eternity.

1 hour ago, Crabman said:

Thats one reason why they stopped updating Halo 1, right?

9b3.png

That's exactly my point. If sales are going down, then you move on. Milking as much money out of the game instead of starting a new project as sales die down is just scummy.

Well, @Andem, this is just a different vision of business. If they think they should make KSP 2 or whatever it's their choice. And make DLCs isn't "milking as much money out of the game". If DLCs are needed to keep KSP alive, I'm all in.

If you'd rather see KSP being trown to trash and forgotten, that is your point of view. I just want to see KSP evolving and alive.

9 hours ago, Crabman said:

Well, @Andem, this is just a different vision of business. If they think they should make KSP 2 or whatever it's their choice. And make DLCs isn't "milking as much money out of the game". If DLCs are needed to keep KSP alive, I'm all in.

I didn't say "make KSP 2," I don't think that the model would work for KSP, but if Squad is concerned with a drop in sales (which there actually isn't at this point) then they should start working on a new project. And if DLCs are really just content that might as well go into an update, then it is milking money out of the game. Products will die. Get over it.

[snip]

9 hours ago, Crabman said:

I just want to see KSP evolving and alive.

That's all well and good, it's still doing that. Holding content for ransom isn't going to accomplish much other than make people resentful as they fork over more money for stuff that should already be in the game.

Edited by Vanamonde
Let cooler heads prevail.

1 hour ago, ISE said:

I would gladly pay a recurring monthly fee of 15$ if they asked :( 

Well I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for any game, but I would have gladly paid $5-$10 for each upgrade since 0.20.0 when I first bought it. Heck, I bought it again on Steam so I could participate in the previous pre-release. Edit: and actually I've always felt sort of guilty downloading a free new update from the KSP store.

However, I'm kinda screwed since I really suck at launches & maneuver nodes, so if MechJeb & Kerbal Alarm Clock don't update (and I don't see that happening) I'll probably lose interest. Oh well.

Edited by GeneCash

[snip]

9 hours ago, GeneCash said:

Well I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for any game

Me neither. Becomes too expensive in the long run

Edited by Vanamonde
Quoting removed post.

22 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

In my opinion expansion packs should not exist. If SQUAD wants to add new features, they can put it in the game. There's no need to make it separate, even if it's free.

Sounds like the original SQUAD owners sold out SQUAD / KSP to new owners and KSP is about to get generally more expensive and cost you more money. Imagine having to PAY real money to unlock new parts :confused:

Sadly, that is the direction of the video game industry and this would not surprise me.

22 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

There’s an important amount of new content, besides this new update, that we’re currently working on. This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more!

We’re also experimenting with new technologies and platforms to expand the KSP experience towards new horizons.

:prograde:

On 4/10/2016 at 3:22 PM, Foxster said:

Noticed how the Mechjeb mod development thread was closed by Sarbian who is now working for Squad? Fancy paying to use it again?

He is working on the game, when he is done WORKING FOR A LIVING.... he will, I am sure, release a new version of mechjeb... but I wouldn't blame him if he said "screw it"... because everyone thinks he OWES them something.... have you ever thought about just saying thanks to him for a job well done?

BTW.....

PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD.... its confusing having TWO threads of the same post in TWO areas.... lock it and have a link to the other thread....

Sounds great, no chance of this update releasing the 10th by chance?   I just found out that I have that day off, and 1.2 would be a great way to spend it!  :)

I'm joking (mostly) :blush:

6 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

It couldn't be released at a better time.

Yes, it could.

Oct. 10th is a holiday, but the kids still have school.  It would be a much better release day.

Just now, razark said:

Yes, it could.

Oct. 10th is a holiday, but the kids still have school.  It would be a much better release day.

Maybe on the 19th when I get out at 10:48 would've been better.

Oh adults, you ALWAYS get old.

1 minute ago, razark said:

Yes, it could.

For me specifically it cannot be a more auspicious date. A KSP update on your birthday is a sure sign of greatness.

A couple of posts have been removed from this thread or edited. Please do not insult each other on our forum, no matter how angry you may get. We're all here because we like the same game, so please don't treat each other like enemies. 

On 10/5/2016 at 5:35 AM, UomoCapra said:

There’s an important amount of new content, besides this new update, that we’re currently working on. This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more!

We’re also experimenting with new technologies and platforms to expand the KSP experience towards new horizons.

hmm... I wonder if there will be versions in different languages. namely spanish, chinese, etc...

Here i thank all of the squad team behind the scenes to make this cool and addicting game!

On 10/4/2016 at 2:57 PM, KerbMav said:

Anouncing it as "more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content" makes me think that the scope of the expansions might cost a buck or two, so will have to be separate.

Although including the official asteroid mod into the base game finally would be nice to see.

On 10/4/2016 at 2:59 PM, HoloYolo said:

I certainly hope that even if they cost money, that it won't be $15 or something like that. KSP and DLC don't really make sense. I do agree on adding Asteroid Day. I guess after raking in enough money they'll make the DLC stock?

Last I checked anything considered "future expansions" was suppose to be free from the get go. Am I remembering incorrectly or are we just comfortable with the idea of paying more for extra content?

Considering the scope of additional content in the game has been grasped pretty firmly by the modding community. Outside of extra levels in the space center or some deeper level of space center relevancy for the rest of the planet, *cough wheeze* but including multiplayer *cough*. It'd be redundant and kind of... snide... to release paid DLC for a game like KSP.

On 04/10/2016 at 10:54 PM, HoloYolo said:

In my opinion expansion packs should not exist. If SQUAD wants to add new features, they can put it in the game. There's no need to make it separate, even if it's free.

I think the idea is this; KSP is already q decently large game that takes a little while to load on less high end computers. Putting new content into expansion packs would allow users to omit large amounts of content they won't use, at least right away, to load the game faster. On top of this, it would mean less cluttered part categories, which is never a bad thing :)

4 hours ago, CodatheSpaceFox said:

Last I checked anything considered "future expansions" was suppose to be free from the get go. Am I remembering incorrectly or are we just comfortable with the idea of paying more for extra content?

Their actual statement says that there would be free expansions in the future. They went on to make and release Asteroid Day and Kerbin Cup for free after saying that, thus fulfilling their obligation.

At no point was it said that ALL future expansion packs would be free.

At no point did they commit to NOT releasing paid expansion packs.

The game has received much free content since the statement was made.

As for myself, I'd gladly pay for an expansion pack. This has been a wonderful game I've got a lot of entertainment out of, learnt a lot from, and the community is mostly great. If Squad offers a deal that gives me more fun in exchange for a few more Euros, which would implicitly also expand the modding scene, I'd happily pay them.

Overall, this reminds me of Cities: Skylines. It was released with the promise of more free future updates, and future updates did come. Quays and canals, in-game terraforming, cosmetic weather, an entire new building set and a cosmetic day/night cycle were released for free. But th studio also released expansion packs: One introducing day/night mechanics, as well as expanding on tourism and leisure, and one introducing weather mechanics, as well as a new mode of transportation. The core of the expansion packs - day/night and weather - was given to everybody for free in an update, but if you wanted it to really influence gameplay, you had to buy the fairly cheap expansion packs.

Modders followed up on this. Custom buildings with wonderful day/night textures. Tons of new tourism and leisure buildings. Better tram intersections and traffic simulation. The expansion packs gave modders more to work with, and people got their money's worth from the expansion pack mods alone. If KSP goes through something similar, I for one would be happy. Sure, it would seem annoying to see many mods with "This requires expansion pack 1 and 2 to work", but with an entirely library of mods available to those who buy the packs, you'd get a lot of value for their price. I think just about everybody would buy the packs unless they were unreasonably expensive.

4 hours ago, CodatheSpaceFox said:

Last I checked that promise was made for anyone buying the game before the end of 2013. At any rate, the reality is that software doesn't write itself and that services like this forum swallow large amounts of money. It would be naive to think the revenue stream from fresh KSP copies is endless.

I'd rather get free bug fixes and new content after paying for it, than no new content and no bug fixes at all.

On 10/4/2016 at 5:36 PM, Murphyslawyer said:

Excellent news. I've been playing the preview version (with mandatory no mods) to get out of bad habits that were making me bored (looks at MechJeb sitting in the parts bin) and have been quite chuffed in getting to the Mun and Minmus by manual planning alone.

On and off, I've had great enjoyment out of KSP for years, and would be happy to give it a boost by paying for an expansion pack if it was good.

Your account may be many months old, but for this post to be your very first is suspect as hell. Im onto your games Squad.