Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear release date and more!

UomoCapra

21 hours ago, BadLeo said:

Consumer rights and contract penalty clauses change according to where you live and, last I checked, this is an international community. No solution would be universally valid here. Squad's obliged to the extent of the user agreement they offered to their consumers. You need to read it and interpret it according to the legal system of the country you live in, and that may or may not result in you having right to demand the solution for a bug or your money back in some cases. That being said, I again state my faith in Squad's corporate ethics and culture.

All y'all need to be patient. Go play Agar.io or something while ya wait for 1.2 instead of picking useless arguments on the forums...

These are new people and we don't know the history of their corporate ethics, so we can't have any faith in it. 

I smell corporate greed.  I predict micro transactions, and the milking of every last dime out of this game. Just my thought and opinion.

7 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

These are new people and we don't know the history of their corporate ethics, so we can't have any faith in it. 

I smell corporate greed.  I predict micro transactions, and the milking of every last dime out of this game. Just my thought and opinion.

I've been following KSP since pretty much it's first public appearance. As far as I know, Squad is being transparent and ethical in their relation with their consumers. Of course, corporations can go through changes in management and policies and specially new business are liable to changes in their corporate culture but, *judging by the near past, by my particular experience with the company and the overall community attitude towards it*, I have no worries about that. As any prudent and sensible person, however, my judgement is subject to change and anyone that has earned my thrust can lose it given some conditions. Anyway, that is for me to judge.

What you smell or predict is only relevant if you can ground your feelings with evidence. If not, its *just* feelings and might go one way or another completely by chance.

Personally, I'm keeping an archival copy of 1.2, as a failsafe in case of shenanigans. Whether such shenanigans will occur is an entirely different discussion, but should they occur, I will be able to continue despite them. I've done the same for nearly every version I've downloaded since 0.20.1.
The shenanigans of which I speak include things like requirements for connection to a server, mod-murdering, and other fearsome beasts. Again, I don't think there's a great probability of such occurences, but the fallbacks are in place.

Good God......Ive been reading all these threads about 1.2 and all Ive really got from it is a lot of people moaning about DLC, not enough graphical updates, yada-yada-yada. I admitidly only found KSP at 0.90 but never, never before have I seen so much "anger" about an update, or lack of what "people "want"". Can we just enjoy where we are and all remember --- this is only a game? Yes, weve all paid for it at some point, but hey, weve not bought a new house where cracks in the wall are forming......that I could undersand.

Sorry for my outburst but this community is changing, and not for the better in my opinion.......its just a game......

6 hours ago, maceemiller said:

Sorry for my outburst but this community is changing, and not for the better in my opinion.......its just a game......

5 hours ago, BadLeo said:

*Unjustified sense of entitlement* could be one of the epitomes of the current times, unfortunately.

Agreed, I've been here since version 0.20 and not once have I seen this company do anything that would indicate corruption or outright user hostility, nor do I think that they would anything like implement DRM, or Micro transactions, after all, the company already has a lot of cash flow coming in already, I should think. As for the mentions of DLC, I don't think there should be anything to worry about, It will probably just be superficial stuff, not integral updates.

Here's to hoping I'm right about this.

Edited by Frednoeyes

7 hours ago, Frednoeyes said:

Agreed, I've been here since version 0.20 and not once have I seen this company do anything that would indicate corruption or outright user hostility, nor do I think that they would anything like implement DRM, or Micro transactions, after all, the company already has a lot of cash flow coming in already, I should think. As for the mentions of DLC, I don't think there should be anything to worry about, It will probably just be superficial stuff, not integral updates.

Here's to hoping I'm right about this.

Look at blizz or valve, once brilliant game developers now brilliant capitalists.

It amazes me how trite and petty some people are. I have been reading the posts on this and other threads and frankly the behaviour of some people is appalling. The cost of this game (in Australia) was, from memory about $AU40, less  than the cost of a carton of beer (that would have passed thru the kidney filters within 2 to 3 days if I'm thirsty, and it's already getting into the hi 30's (celcius)).

I come from a time when,once you bought a software package, that was it, no updates, no bug fixes. If you wanted it fixed you bought the next version, or the competitors version, if there was one (pre internet, pre ethernet even (although we did have sneaker net). I even go back to the times when you copied basic code from a magazine to get programs.

Nowadays snot nose's whine everything is not perfect, well, news for you, it never is and never will be, so suck it up.

This is unfortuantely one of the biggest faults with the internet, there are no visible consequences to ones actions so those that do not have the intelligence and backbone to moderate themselves run amuck and think it's great fun

Squad have done an excellent job on this game (and it is just a game) and the modding community is phenominal.

There was a post on FB that I saw the other day that pretty much covers it

"In 1944 eighteen year olds were storming the beachs of Normandy, face almost certain death.

Fast forward 70 years and we have to give eighteen year olds special rooms so we don't hurt their feelings"

Remember

IT's JUST A GAME

alright, I'll give you that it's a damn good one.

now, where did I put my asbestos undies?

3 hours ago, jsisidore said:

Look at blizz or valve, once brilliant game developers now brilliant capitalists.

Look at Maxis. Then, look at Microprose, Sierra and Eidos. And at Bethesda. And Mojang, Firaxis, Paradox and Sports Interactive. Things change for everyone, that should be no surprise, it changes even faster on software business. Sometimes it changes for the worse, sometimes for the better. Picking just Blizzard and Valve as examples is a way to look at it from just one side of the possibilities. But what all of  those companies have in common is that they are, well, private business. Even independent game devs have to sell their products to make money if they don't wish to starve and want their activity as devs to be sustainable. Exceptions, like Bay12's Dwarf Fortress, are just that: exceptions to the rule. Private companies have even more costs to deal with. Public corporations even more. They all want you to have fun with their products, of course. That means you gonna come back and buy more of it. To the capitalistic logic, there's no shame on that.

Now, if one doesn't like their business model, one should not support them by buying their products. Sure EA will starve to death because of consumerist activism. Any time, now. :rolleyes:

The argument "software companies/developers need to sell their product in order to survive" is kind of trite for me: generating an income is a standard in everyone's life and I guess most of the people who worries about DLCs/expansion packs are not arguing that.

The worries are about the community born around KSP and the fear to see it declining for a (supposed) increased "greed" of the creator of the game. And the fear that, after the community, the game itself starts to decline... It already happened in the past so those fears are well-founded ones.

On the other hand, Squad managed until now the coexistence of the "souls" of KSP, profit and community, so as far as I know, there are no elements to say "something's changed" and I trust Squad's wise and experience in keeping the things the way they are.

Sorry for my English.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes:

The "Loud and Clear" patch looks great. I downloaded via Steam. Should the patch have automatically downloaded?  I'm new to Steam and am a bit uncertain as to it's functions. The reason for this question is that the signal strength bars and other icons that I've seen associated with the time counter in the top left, in a couple of plasythrough videos, don't appear in my game. Have I neglected some setting or do I have to purchase the patch, separately?

Advise appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Mahatma Kane Jeeves said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes:

The "Loud and Clear" patch looks great. I downloaded via Steam. Should the patch have automatically downloaded?  I'm new to Steam and am a bit uncertain as to it's functions. The reason for this question is that the signal strength bars and other icons that I've seen associated with the time counter in the top left, in a couple of plasythrough videos, don't appear in my game. Have I neglected some setting or do I have to purchase the patch, separately?

Advise appreciated.

Are you using a save game you've used before 1.2 came out? They disabled the comm net in upgraded saves because of the very real chance of bricking all probes.

You can turn it on by hitting ESC, Settings, then click the "Game Mode: Custom" (or whatever it says) button and poking around there for Comm Net. If that doesn't show up in there, then you may not have updated correctly but I'd bet that's the problem.

Lots of people are arguing about this. I like the update, and what Squad is doing, but I picked it up for $15 on sale so I can't really be mad at all for such a great game I put so much time towards.

11 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Are you using a save game you've used before 1.2 came out? They disabled the comm net in upgraded saves because of the very real chance of bricking all probes.

You can turn it on by hitting ESC, Settings, then click the "Game Mode: Custom" (or whatever it says) button and poking around there for Comm Net. If that doesn't show up in there, then you may not have updated correctly but I'd bet that's the problem.

Thanks, that was what I'd missed. As one aviation publication puts it "it's working as advertised". After an hour of game play, looks good.