Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear release date and more!

UomoCapra

Oh SQUAD, please don't make us pay for extra stuff. I don't have that kind of money! I don't have any money!

Seriously, how can expansion packs work with mods, especially if someone can make a mod with the same stuff in it?

43 minutes ago, MDZhB said:

Oh SQUAD, please don't make us pay for extra stuff. I don't have that kind of money! I don't have any money!

Seriously, how can expansion packs work with mods, especially if someone can make a mod with the same stuff in it?

Most hobbies cost money. Some serious money. In the real world, I do like to play err work on model trains. Now, there an "expansion pack" (ie. new locomotive or the likes) is easily in the range of 300 to 400 €. Now that is something you cannot afford every day. Now, if I consider how many hours of enjoyment if had with "base" KSP and considering that any forthcoming expansion packs, whatever characteristics they may have, be a fraction of the price of base KSP, I'd say that it should be affordable, even if one had to save for it.

The big question IMHO remains, what the nature of these expansion packs will be. I sincerely hope it will not be something in the range of say an ULA pack for 5 bucks and then next month comes along the ESA pack, followed by the Roscosmos pack 1 thru 7... that would be seriously EA'd. If however an expansion pack would add considerably to the game mechanic, then it'd be worth considering.

Anyways, we're all speculating here, with next to no hard info on anything, so I'd say, let's enjoy 1.2 and sometime in the future 1.3 and let's see, what Squad comes up with!

1 hour ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Most hobbies cost money. Some serious money. In the real world, I do like to play err work on model trains. Now, there an "expansion pack" (ie. new locomotive or the likes) is easily in the range of 300 to 400 €. Now that is something you cannot afford every day. Now, if I consider how many hours of enjoyment if had with "base" KSP and considering that any forthcoming expansion packs, whatever characteristics they may have, be a fraction of the price of base KSP, I'd say that it should be affordable, even if one had to save for it.

The big question IMHO remains, what the nature of these expansion packs will be. I sincerely hope it will not be something in the range of say an ULA pack for 5 bucks and then next month comes along the ESA pack, followed by the Roscosmos pack 1 thru 7... that would be seriously EA'd. If however an expansion pack would add considerably to the game mechanic, then it'd be worth considering.

Anyways, we're all speculating here, with next to no hard info on anything, so I'd say, let's enjoy 1.2 and sometime in the future 1.3 and let's see, what Squad comes up with!

While KSP may be a hobby for you, and for many others, I consider it to be a PC game/simulation. One that, when I played it at v1.0x or whatever, was not, IMO, in release condition. I hope that v1.2 brings it to that state, so that I can resume playing/simming it again (I haven't fired it up in 155 days). Because I do enjoy KSP. :)

In other words, I feel that we, the paying customers, have been utilized as an extensive base of beta testers, and that this product needs mods (the authors of which have labored tirelessly to make KSP enjoyable) to make it work well.

I have never heretofore played a PC game or simulation that has been anywhere close to being so bug-ridden for so long as KSP has been during its development and I think it likely that Squad (or whomever takes over KSP, should that happen) will never see another red cent of my hard-earned money.

As an aside, I also have a couple of (outdoor) hobbies, ones that have cost me well into the tens of thousands of dollars. I enjoy those (and the joys and frustrations which come with them) in more and different ways than I will probably ever enjoy KSP. Having said that, however, I must add that I do hope to get my money's worth from KSP, and feel that I have not, so far.

Here's to hoping that v1.2 and beyond is satisfactory. :) 

On October 4, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Avonix said:

Very excited to know what this is (please be VR support, please be VR support, please be VR support!!)

First person EVA :-)

37 minutes ago, electricpants said:

Well that sucks!

Was really hoping for new stock planets. :(

I think that sounds like an expansion pack or 2.0 kind of thing.

On 04/10/2016 at 11:59 PM, HoloYolo said:

KSP and DLC don't really make sense.

I thought so too when I read "expansion packs". KSP, with all its mods doesn't really feel like something you'd add DLCs to.

It's a shame that more and more people think they are entitled to, well... anything really. Inside info on a company? Free updates? Free additional content? We're not entitled to anything. And from the behavior I've seen on this forum lately I'm not at all surprised that SQUAD doesn't like to tell us much. I would have banned half the people in this forum, but I guess that's bad for business too.

Edited by Kilhmar

17 minutes ago, Kilhmar said:

It's a shame that more and more people think they are entitled to, well... anything really. Free updates? Free additional content? We're not entitled to anything. (snipped to the limit)

If I have to get charged for an UPDATE to a game then that's when I leave these forums and KSP...for good. Paid DLC doesn't really make much sense. It would be much better free. We have mods that basically cover everything. Why is DLC (free or not) an idea that makes sense anyways?

Taking your money elsewhere is indeed your only "right".

As I see it DLC makes a lot of sense if it is done right. For example an official SpaceX or NASA or [insert favorite company] mission pack with custom parts? I.e. a story campaign. As a sandbox with mods KSP is really good, but I think there is a market for goal-oriented campaigns with storytelling, cut scenes and Kerbals you care about.

Edited by Kilhmar

25 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

If I have to get charged for an UPDATE to a game then that's when I leave these forums and KSP...for good. Paid DLC doesn't really make much sense. It would be much better free. We have mods that basically cover everything. Why is DLC (free or not) an idea that makes sense anyways?

Well, no updates and no forum... that's what happens when Squad runs out of money. That's preferred over paying for content, at one point in time?

16 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Well, no updates and no forum... that's what happens when Squad runs out of money. That's preferred over paying for content, at one point in time?

For an update, I will say goodbye. For DLC, once in a while, but it makes no sense. A free DLC makes more sense but we have mods that cover almost anything you want for free of charge. I don't remember SQUAD running out of money anyways, and by the time they do this game will only be a memory with only few playing it.  

What I mean is that an update should be free regardless, DLC should be either a few dollars, free, or non-existent, mainly because of mods. 

It's not about "running out of money". It's about making more money. And that is perfectly legitimate. Saying anything else is just hypocrisy, unless you are one of those rare individuals who would say no to a pay raise because you don't need it.

As for paying for updates. This is actually very common in the software industry. Not for minor bug fixes, but for feature updates. So going from 1.1 to 1.1.3 should be free, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for SQUAD to charge you a small amount for 1.1.3 to 1.2 if it is a feature update (and it is).

Edited by Kilhmar

2 minutes ago, Kilhmar said:

It's not about "running out of money". It's about making more money. And that is perfectly legitimate. Saying anything else is just hypocrisy, unless you are one of those rare individuals who would say no to a pay raise because you don't need it.

As for paying for updates. This is actually very common in the software industry. Not for minor bug fixes, but for feature updates. So going from 1.1 to 1.1.3 should be free, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for SQUAD to charge you a small amount for 1.1.3 to 1.2 if it is a feature update.

Well it better be a lot of features and not just one or two things.

It's pretty simple really. Oops, a feature in the software is broken: We fix for free. Guys we've added a new feature or improved an existing one: Please pay us, or keep using the old version if you prefer. Your choice to update or not. Be happy this is not an Adobe product. You'd have to buy the software, then pay a subscription to keep using it.

2 hours ago, HoloYolo said:

Well it better be a lot of features and not just one or two things.

If they finally manage to come out with multiplayer, that will probably be a paid expansion pack, given how long they've been plinking away at it and how badly a lot of people seem to want it. Not to mention how difficult it will be to pull off when you throw in timewarp

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On 10/4/2016 at 6:22 PM, Foxster said:

Noticed how the Mechjeb mod development thread was closed by Sarbian who is now working for Squad? Fancy paying to use it again?

Someone else would just make a new one. DLC doesn't really make sense for ksp.. too many mods to keep you busy regardless.

Edited by Talavar

I'd like to respond to those complaining about entitlement regarding DLC and free updates.

When I purchased the game sometime in 2013, I glanced through the EULA. I found a line saying, more or less, "The User is entitled to updates and contact packs of the Software." Now, this was 3 years ago, and a lot can change. But I remember thinking, "Huh. That's pretty nice of them." That was the agreement into which I entered, and I will be at least mildly perturbed if it is negated.

However, I was never promised transparency of internal affairs, nor of development. That is a priveledge SQUAD may take back should they see fit. It might be foolish of them to do so since we've become so used to it, but they could.

5 hours ago, Kilhmar said:

As for paying for updates. This is actually very common in the software industry. Not for minor bug fixes, but for feature updates. So going from 1.1 to 1.1.3 should be free, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for SQUAD to charge you a small amount for 1.1.3 to 1.2 if it is a feature update (and it is).

It also has some bug fixes. I don't think they'll charge for a bugfix update. That would be a bit shady.. However, anything after 1.2 should be fair game.. although, DLC would have a rough time keeping up with the modding community. Other than orbiter, I've never seen a modding community as active as this one. I'm pretty sure, they'll let go of the reigns and hand it over to the modding community. Honestly, it would be rough even selling planet packs with the planetary mods available, though I'm sure that some people would buy them just to support Squad.

Edited by Talavar