Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear release date and more!

SQUAD

3 minutes ago, Klassy KSP said:

With 1.2 about to come out this makes me wonder, what happens if KSP reaches 2.0? Will it just end at 1.9 and then they make a sequel game? Will they just make a massive update to the game engine for KSP 2.0?  

If it does, most likely 1.10.

5 minutes ago, Klassy KSP said:

With 1.2 about to come out this makes me wonder, what happens if KSP reaches 2.0? Will it just end at 1.9 and then they make a sequel game? Will they just make a massive update to the game engine for KSP 2.0?  

Periods in version numbers are not decimal indicators, they are just separators.  So 1.9 is followed by 1.10, which is no the same as 1.1.

7 minutes ago, Klassy KSP said:

...or 2.0 will just be the next release in a line of releases.  As we have learned, version numbers don't mean anything.

4 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

If it does, most likely 1.10.

This also makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Klassy KSP said:

Version numbers don't follow decimal rules. The next version after 1.9 isn't 2.0, but 1.10. And 1.10 is not the same as 1.1.

51 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Expansion packs are fine if it is something new.  I'm not buying something I can already get from mods though, so if they want me to buy an expansion that adds clouds or something stupid like that, they are in for a surprise.

This does sound like it might be good news for us console players who don't have access to mods though. 

I think we're going to need some clarification because this post is saying one thing, and a post from Reddit is saying another:
https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55vozd/theres_no_easy_way_to_say_this/

Also, I feel like a post of such importance as the Reddit one linked above really really really REALLY needs to be on the OFFICIAL god damn website for KSP and not just a "oh-by-the-way" post.

I mean, come on, the ENTIRE CORE DEV TEAM is stepping down. All at once. What is happening?

All this talk of fresh talent and no mention of who they are? That post on Reddit sure instill a lot of lack-of-confidence.................

1 hour ago, chimpbone said:

This does sound like it might be good news for us console players who don't have access to mods though. 

There's a distinct difference between free-installable mods coming from anyone, containing anything, and additional content coming from the vendor of the software. I don't think expansion packs on consoles will be that much of an issue.

Oh wait you said does not doesn't. Nvm...

Edited by Kerbart

I'm gonna see what's what with the latest experimental release... but I'm bummed that my docking port based super flexy suspensions are effectively neutered, since wheels have been relying on mandatory auto-strutting to fix their issues. My old program's flagship rover is a bust... ;.;

That said, I am happy to see so many improvements to KSP, and I hope wheels will be made stable someday, without hacky fixes.

*Double take*
:0.0: WHAT?! Squad accidentally the team! Noooo.... ;.;

Edited by richfiles

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Okay, now that is something else.  I'm not sure what to think.  Squad must be one heck of a company to work for.  Didn't some of those guys just sign up?

This has continually been the most bizarre development of any videogame I have followed.  

1 hour ago, Greenfire32 said:

I think we're going to need some clarification because this post is saying one thing, and a post from Reddit is saying another:
https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55vozd/theres_no_easy_way_to_say_this/

Also, I feel like a post of such importance as the Reddit one linked above really really really REALLY needs to be on the OFFICIAL god damn website for KSP and not just a "oh-by-the-way" post.

I mean, come on, the ENTIRE CORE DEV TEAM is stepping down. All at once. What is happening?

All this talk of fresh talent and no mention of who they are? That post on Reddit sure instill a lot of lack-of-confidence.................

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Exactly what I was asking in the first reply to this thread. It seems like a pretty big event for Squad to seemingly be pretending that it didn't happen on the official forums. Some official response on how this affects (or doesn't affect) the future of KSP would be welcomed. Preferably not simply pointing out that "more content is on the way" though as that is a bit vague in light of all of those developers leaving.

2 hours ago, Bandus said:

Exactly what I was asking in the first reply to this thread. It seems like a pretty big event for Squad to seemingly be pretending that it didn't happen on the official forums. Some official response on how this affects (or doesn't affect) the future of KSP would be welcomed. Preferably not simply pointing out that "more content is on the way" though as that is a bit vague in light of all of those developers leaving.

6 hours ago, Laguna said:

Yeah, I posted that before seeing this link to a possible dark side to this story.  If there is any truth in that, then what I said still holds, in a bit of different way.  The devs must have stayed with Squad long enough to complete 1.2 out of sheer love for KSP and the community, then seeing their job complete, collectively said "No more!" and departed.

The article might not be telling the whole story, or might be an a bit exaggerated, or just the version of one of the devs that left...   However, it is true that it is VERY weird for a whole group of devs (almost all of them) to quit at the same time and in such a way. Might be that working conditions are terrible there, or it might be there have been changes recently in the command structure and they´re unhappy about it...  who knows. But I don´t think it can be sold as a positive thing from almost any POV (ie. I don´t buy the "we are recruiting so much talent that it´s overflowing out of our offices")

57 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Indeed, thank you for the link! However, that post references the original source and is a simple "good bye" with no mention of if this was planned or not. Even if Squad can't/won't tell us that, I still think it would be appreciated if they'd let us know what impact it will have on future KSP development. 

At the risk of going into tin foil hat mode, it strikes me as odd that this information was first disseminated on Reddit as opposed to the official forums. It seems like the post quoted was reactionary is all. I would simply like official reassurance that the impact of this event can at least be mitigated.

1 hour ago, Jorge_slc said:

The article might not be telling the whole story, or might be an a bit exaggerated, or just the version of one of the devs that left...   However, it is true that it is VERY weird for a whole group of devs (almost all of them) to quit at the same time and in such a way. Might be that working conditions are terrible there, or it might be there have been changes recently in the command structure and they´re unhappy about it...  who knows. But I don´t think it can be sold as a positive thing from almost any POV (ie. I don´t buy the "we are recruiting so much talent that it´s overflowing out of our offices")

Gotta keep in mind, most of the people leaving are external contractors, their contracts might have been limited anyway. Still a bit weird, so many at the same time, and 2 experienced long term devs.

Well, we can't really know what's happening inside a company.

35 minutes ago, Bandus said:

Indeed, thank you for the link! However, that post references the original source and is a simple "good bye" with no mention of if this was planned or not. Even if Squad can't/won't tell us that, I still think it would be appreciated if they'd let us know what impact it will have on future KSP development. 

At the risk of going into tin foil hat mode, it strikes me as odd that this information was first disseminated on Reddit as opposed to the official forums. It seems like the post quoted was reactionary is all. I would simply like official reassurance that the impact of this event can at least be mitigated.

Well, it's a common PR rule that you always, always keep smiling and saying optimistic things, even if your house is on fire. I really hope the KSP house is not on fire and they will do with the new developers (the two remaining ones, RoverDude and Nightingale, are awesome, for sure). But I also suspect the worst, i.e. that the game will be effectively abandoned or changed into something different by a new team.

On the other hand, it may not be that bad if we don't have so many major updates in the near future. At least, I'll be able to finish my career playthrough!

As for DLC, I'm all for it. I'd pay for additional content provided it's good and polished.

10 hours ago, regex said:

Oh please, like you didn't expect them to squeeze as much filthy lucre as possible from those little green aliens? :rolleyes:

Considering the amount of time thst I've spent in KSP, I've ripped Squad off.  I'd probably buy expansion packs, sequels and franchise products just to say THANK YOU SQUAD :)

On 4/10/2016 at 2:54 PM, Bandus said:

Do the "more details" include what the "status" of Squad and KSP is after the mass exodus of developers?

(sigh) Does it sound like they are disbanding? You make it sound like some conspiracy theory... next you'll be saying the KSP is just a game and nothing more....

And the Mun landing was a hoax....

I'm happy to wait till the 11th.... BUT.... expansion packs??????????????????? That sounds like DLC ..... wow.... does this mean Aliens?????? (dammit, now I'm sounding like Bandus! :)

Onwards, Kerbal-peeps... to the 11th.... infinity and beyond...... :)

(ahead warp fact 9 Mister Sulu...)

On 4/10/2016 at 3:14 PM, RW1984 said:

Expanding to more platforms? Are you kidding?! Sort out the consoles first!!! Can you tell us if the ps4 patch (if it ever happens) will only fix one bug and wipe all of our saves?

yes. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.