Kerbal Space Program 1.2: Loud & Clear release date and more!

SQUAD

I just have this vision of mission control, the lights are still on, but only at only a few stations. All the top brass have left already. A few heads are there still... Still trying to work, but most of the seats are empty, most of the consoles shut down. The work they do, the sounds they make, echo in the relatively empty space... There's still work to do... going over the data they have, working with what they've got... Piecing together what's been received from before, when things were more active, but I can't see very far into the future...

The radio telemetry spectrograph monitor on the wall is now showing a flat noise floor... End of transmission... ;.;

image?t=44&bid=838729687898&id=838729687

Edited by richfiles

1 hour ago, kiwi1960 said:

Well, see... there is your problem....

"A significant number of well known developers left the project...."

1) You have no idea how many developers have actually joined the project lately... in fact, a recent post suggests far more than have actually left...

2) They may well have been well known, but that is life, you STILL do not know who joined, and till you see their work, or give them some time to make their mark, OF COURSE they will be unknown... but that doesn't mean that in 12 months time they wont be famous for being masters of their craft by the entire KSP community... its actually NOT FAIR... repeat... NOT FAIR to judge a developer on how well know they are... the quiet ones still on the project may actually have done more than the .... "loud' ones...

You say you are dismayed... what would you have them do... lock them up as slaves and work on the project, accepting substandard work because they don;t really want to be there any more? They can only give so much, and they have... and now, they feel the best thing to do is move on.... and they are... that allows NEW BLOOD to come in... new ideas. new approaches and new ways of doing things to come in.... as with anything.... ITS EVOLUTION.... if the game doesn't evolve, then it WILL DIE.... the fact that KSP is evolving bodes well for all of us, they have already mentioned a few new things planned... expansion packs for example... which tells EVERYONE the game is far from dead, and certainly isn't at any risk of dying any time soon....
-
Maybe rather than post your doom and gloom, you remain silent IF YOU CANNOT POST ANYTHING NICE TO SAY...

The fact that 1.2 is nearly here isn't good enough for you? You're the only one saying its dead... seriously????

I suggest you ask the moderators to change your name to "Chicken Little".... especially if you think the sky is falling....

FYI.... it always starts with ONE.... you say the game is nearly dead... someone believes you and starts saying the same, then four... then eight... etc etc.... and then they announce the game is dead because people have stopped supporting it.... whereas had you kept quiet.. the game will never die because it will always be supported...

Right?

I think you are confused as to what it is I am attempting to communicate. If you were to re-read my posts you will find that at no point have I indicated anything that is "doom and gloom" or "the sky is falling" or that "the game is dying." I have said nothing that I feel could be considered "not nice." Furthermore, I have not made any judgmental statements about Squad or anyone else.

You are correct that I do not know how many developers joined Squad nor do I know what they will add to KSP. I am acutely aware that developers don't stay on a project forever. I am dismayed and surprised that so many left at the same time, which I do not think is an unfair reaction. I am all for allowing new blood to join a project, fresh perspective can take a project in unexpectedly pleasant directions sometimes. The concern I have is that there is, as you say, a giant unknown. All I have said is that I would appreciate some type of official response with regard to what impact this will have on the future. Again, I do not think this an unfair reaction or question.

I think you may want to consider taking a step back because you seem super defensive. I am asking a simple question, in earnest. When you are at a point where you are skirting the line of personal attacks (i.e. telling someone when or how to post, or telling someone they should have their named changed) on someone for asking a question, you may be too close to the issue.

Edited by Bandus

On 5 October 2016 at 0:41 AM, SQUAD said:

There’s an important amount of new content, besides this new update, that we’re currently working on. This includes more free updates, full expansion packs with an incredible amount of new content and much more!

Rule 34....... I know, i sicken myself too

20 hours ago, Bandus said:

I think you are confused as to what it is I am attempting to communicate. If you were to re-read my posts you will find that at no point have I indicated anything that is "doom and gloom" or "the sky is falling" or that "the game is dying." I have said nothing that I feel could be considered "not nice." Furthermore, I have not made any judgmental statements about Squad or anyone else.

You are correct that I do not know how many developers joined Squad nor do I know what they will add to KSP. I am acutely aware that developers don't stay on a project forever. I am dismayed and surprised that so many left at the same time, which I do not think is an unfair reaction. I am all for allowing new blood to join a project, fresh perspective can take a project in unexpectedly pleasant directions sometimes. The concern I have is that there is, as you say, a giant unknown. All I have said is that I would appreciate some type of official response with regard to what impact this will have on the future. Again, I do not think this an unfair reaction or question.

I think you may want to consider taking a step back because you seem super defensive. I am asking a simple question, in earnest. When you are at a point where you are skirting the line of personal attacks (i.e. telling someone when or how to post, or telling someone they should have their named changed) on someone for asking a question, you may be too close to the issue.

Let me explain my position to you. I support the continued future of KSP, I am not employed by them, apart from the game, I do not know them... personally or otherwise... (as opposed to the moderators with whom I have had my fair share of issues... I speak my mind....) .... I think it is dangerous for you to assert, without evidence, that anything bad will happen BECAUSE so many developers have left the employ of squad... I also know, that professionally, they may be reluctant to answer your questions... I'm neither a professional or well mannered enough to not jump to their defence. Your claim that KSP is somehow domed because so many devs have left is an insult to the ones that have joined AND to the ones that have been honest with us since day one... in particular, you suggest that there is some conspiracy afoot and the games days are numbered.... because like it or not... that is what you are saying.

Take what they have said, RESPECT IT.... and till you have evidence... your wild claims are just that....

Dammit, I could say the Planet is about to be destroyed because Planet X is coming our way.... and that is what some did say... it was a doomsday cult.... well... the time limit went and pased and we are all still here.....

Please... if you have ANY *real* evidence to back up your claims for asking, or suggesting what you have... please present it.

And... just to let the moderators know... I won't answer any more to @Bandus because its not worth it... he said his bit, I said mine, and I was never out to start a fight... just lay down some common sense guidelines before saying what he did... and defending the game I love.

Over and out, time to move on.

On 4.10.2016 at 11:54 PM, Bandus said:

Do the "more details" include what the "status" of Squad and KSP is after the mass exodus of developers?

What do you mean with "mass exodus"?

Yes, a few guys from the original team left, a few guy that joined later left but in total, the KSP dev team has grown in total.

@kiwi1960 - Feel free not to reply, however, for the record I would like to point out a few things that I am confident most people are already able to see:

16 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

I think it is dangerous for you to assert, without evidence, that anything bad will happen BECAUSE so many developers have left the employ of squad

Please point out where I asserted this.

Your claim that KSP is somehow domed because so many devs have left is an insult to the ones that have joined AND to the ones that have been honest with us since day one

Please point out where I did this.

you suggest that there is some conspiracy afoot and the games days are numbered

Please point out where I did this.

Take what they have said, RESPECT IT.... and till you have evidence... your wild claims are just that....

They haven't said anything, hence my question. Also, please point out the claims I've made.

Please... if you have ANY *real* evidence to back up your claims

Which claims?

In conclusion, I'll agree to disengage from the discussion with you as well. However, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about and I think you really need to reconsider your stance when someone does nothing more then ask a simple question. Because "like it or not" I asked a simple question about what the future of KSP looks like. How you got to "wild claims" and "conspiracy theories" and "doom and gloom" I am unclear...

@Broco - 8 devs left, which is a bit more than a couple. I'm not saying this is inherently a bad thing. Again, I am simply asking Squad how it will impact KSP going forward. If the dev team has grown and it will be business as usual going forward, I'm totally fine with that. It is what I am hoping for it, in fact. However, if it means updates are going to slow down significantly and/or stop, I'd like to know that too. 

Edited by Bandus

One product cycle is ending, and it will take a few weeks (at least) for Squad management to sort out Who can do What, and begin the next product cycle. There's usually a news lull in the weeks after a release, while remaining staff takes some time off. We need to be patient.

Warning: optimistic speculation ahead! Doom and Gloomers may skip to the next post.

Squad has been hiring locally for months now- sometimes in life things are just easier when you are in the same room as other people working on things, on the same schedule. Maybe the telecommute route was just too messy for what they have planned, and maybe it was causing some people to work weird hours to stay in sync with the team. There is a ton of negative speculation, and maybe it's right, but there are many reasonable or good reasons too. I suppose this community could be classified as "practicing Stoics." :P

hey guyts just wanted ot come on here and give me 2cents

i think the devs leaving is honestly a good thing because if they elave maybe they will miss it soooo much and come back better and refrshsed and ready to make the game even better than before!

if by the off change the come back i hope they look into maybe hiring me because im actually really good at getin and orbit going lol i was playing the other night and did it really fast so i think i could tell them how to make some things better

i honestly am really excited for this next chapter in ksp and i hope you guys are too!

3 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Squad's community manager has replied to Reddit speculation, over on Reddit

Glad the new guy is continuing the tradition of posting important KSP information on the official KSP news site.

Jokes aside.  I guess he was responding to the "Reddit speculation" and not the "official KSP forum speculation".

Edited by klgraham1013

OK I am so confused is development ending or not?  This DEV Reddit post says yes.
 If so then there are a few promises left unfulfilled.
 Cheif among it is multiplayer which has been promised repeatedly for 1.3 or 1.4. Is that to no longer be a thing?  I don't have a list of other promised features handy at the moment but I am guessing most of that does not matter now so...

There is talk in this thread that there will be expansions.
 Will the promise made to me and many others who purchased early development be kept, namely that all expansions will be given to those early account holders free of charge?

I must say I am not surprised by then end coming so quickly, the fallout from the 1.1 update was very bad, and it caused a lot of veteran players to leave the forum and the game.  It was those veteran players who used to tell everyone they would meet about the game, and keep the Dollars rolling in with new purchases.

8 hours ago, Broco said:

What do you mean with "mass exodus"?

Yes, a few guys from the original team left, a few guy that joined later left but in total, the KSP dev team has grown in total.

The changes might not matter, or they might. I don't think any of us know enough to know. What I have seen elsewhere is that well-run software companies put an effort into documentation, both internal and customer-facing, so that RTFM works. And poorly-run companies start flailing mindlessly as there seems to be nobody left who understands the code that they have been profiting from.

On what I have seen so far, Squad is one of the operations who does this stuff right. There's a balancing trick in it, some managers can get too picky about formal procedures, and it depends on choosing the right new people. And I have seen signs of one or two "better ways" of doing things which have never caught on.

I have seen failing programming teams in action. They seem to speak a different language to us mortal users. I've never had that feel from Squad.

This seems like Kojima's Konami's MGS:V. :sealed:

Anyway, I wouldn't mind a paid expansion with more planets, robotic parts, more ground objets...etc., just don't milk it for the next 5 years, a new game with a new engine, as the others have said, would be awesome.

Edited by theend3r

The mists are clearing in my crystal ball ... I see KSP being made open-source, with continuing development mostly by the devs/modders who have just left and know it best.
Or it could just be a tree, or a fish, I'll check again on Tuesday.

My personal opinion regarding the future expansion packs is this:

- There should still be free updates that include new parts / other stuff that fit into the stock game besides bugfixes. (Like implementing some more mods into stock KSP)

- The expansion packs should include stuff that are different from the stock stuff (Like maybe things about exploring oceans and so on)

Edited by Zaphod12

On 04/10/2016 at 10:41 PM, SQUAD said:

But this is not all! Here at Squad we’re looking into the future and we have great and ambitious plans for the KSP franchise and even more!

Called it, three years ago :)

I am only wishing for one thing, right now, Santa Kerman. A revamp of career mode. Listen...the crew does a great job and I love this simulation...I am not here to whine and complain by any means. BUT (LOL) I have had to give up on career mode because the contracts that I get are just not feasible. Career mode does not supply enough contracts, at my level of ability, science and funds, to make it doable? For instance, I do one or two contracts in Kerbin orbit, not nearly enough to build science, experience and funds for an orbit of Mun or Minmus, but that is what my next contracts call for? I just want more than enough contracts, that are doable at my level, so I can build the needed science, experience and funds to move up to the next level of flight difficulty.

I have been playing in Science mode and I am completely researched on all science except one...after completing one orbital flight of Duna. That seems like the exact opposite of Career mode...no challenge versus too much challenge?

Anywho, please keep up the good work, gang. If it continues I expect a letter of intent to divorce from my wife's lawyer as I am WAY behind on the "honey do" list. :rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

For instance, I do one or two contracts in Kerbin orbit, not nearly enough to build science, experience and funds for an orbit of Mun or Minmus, but that is what my next contracts call for?

Depending on difficulty settings, you may have to do a bit more 'grind' orbits, just for the purpose of capturing or transmitting more Science. Kerbin has many biomes, and as you orbit you are passing over different ones, and can repeat every science gathering action (Crew report, EVA report, temperature scan, goo canister, etc) over each biome. Its not always clear what you are passing over in the early career, so you may have to spam the actions in your orbit(s).  Do all the rescue ones, so you don't have to pay for new Kerbals. They're really grateful for the rescue!  Also look into Strategies, that can take some of your gains in one area, and turn a little of that into what you are short of.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.