"There's no easy way to say this."

Superfluous J

1 minute ago, Nerfclasher said:

That's what I'm wondering because we don't have the  source code 

You don't need to source code to play KSP.  Game development ends, most of them end the moment it is released or not long after if they have bug patches.

Edited by Alshain

Just now, Alshain said:

It's not going anywhere.  It's not just going to disappear from your computer. 

What they haven't told you is about the rootkit that will automatically delete all KSP files from your PC and backup hard drive tucked away in your closet upon the end of development.

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

What they haven't told you is about the rootkit that will automatically delete all KSP files from your PC and backup hard drive tucked away in your closet upon the end of development.

I know you are joking but things in this thread are moving fast and furious and it's probably best not to confuse people :wink:

Just now, TheKosanianMethod said:

At best? Fan development. This could also be the worst thing. Another option: It becomes unupdated and dies.

If there's never a KSP successor, I'll be playing KSP on my Windows-Box emulator when I'm 90.  This game only dies when you let it.

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

I know you are joking but things in this thread are moving fast and furious and it's probably best not to confuse people :wink:

Capcom actually included a rootkit in a recent update of one of their games.

Edited by Gaarst

Just now, klgraham1013 said:

...and then removed it because they realized they had gone temporarily insane.

Still, it went through the whole design, development, QA and release processes of an AAA game. Stuff happens. (We're going off-topic I'm afraid)

This skeleton has been in Squad's the closet for a long time.  We all knew this day would come.

I wish these devs well.  I hope they all find positions at more appreciative organizations.

Edited by Sandworm
splelin

2 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Still, it went through the whole design, development, QA and release processes of an AAA game. Stuff happens. (We're going off-topic I'm afraid)

Length of insanity can be exacerbated when money is involved.

Ok.  Back to the topic now.

Edited by klgraham1013

It's true that the game is largely done; selling 1.2 forever will probably yield about the same income as selling a continually developed version, but at a greatly reduced cost. As sometimes happens in software, this dev team did so well that they put themselves out of a job. I'm glad that SQUAD's plans include add-ons, sequels, etc., for those of us that are interested in such. Hopefully this will include some form of the Porkjet part overhaul.

It's hard to see this as bad news for modders, though. One final solid release with no future API-breaking changes in sight? Not only will this mean fewer "because the core game updated" releases, but if a new mod comes out for 1.2, it will be much less of a problem if the author goes missing. I see a "definitive modded edition" coming soon.

Plus, now there are eight developers with KSP experience on the game-dev market at once; they might provide a cool perspective to some otherwise mundane project, but even if that doesn't come to pass, the possibility of them starting their own studio is intriguing. Maybe they'll even be hired on to whatever HarvesteR's next project turns out to be. Who wouldn't love to see that??

Wow... for the past year or so I've been in the "don't panic, people move on all the time" camp, but this definitely reverses my opinion. Hints at poor working conditions and low pay -- who knows, maybe it's true. Count me in the slightly pessimistic camp now.

For a few minutes I had a theory that the devs who are leaving might be departing in order to form their own game development company, and maybe even make their own space exploration game. How cool would that be if the team that brought us KSP patch 1.2 coded something from the ground up? Alas, they probably had to sign a no-compete agreement.

45 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

Wow. This is crazy

Interestingly enough, this thread and another thread haven't been deleted yet, despite claims that they're shutting down all of the threads. I think it's best to take things with a grain of salt right now and let the situation sort itself out.

22 minutes ago, CobraA1 said:

Interestingly enough, this thread and another thread haven't been deleted yet, despite claims that they're shutting down all of the threads. I think it's best to take things with a grain of salt right now and let the situation sort itself out.

Yet. And also, the thread you mentioned was the team’s official announcement.

Interesting news, but I'm not very surprised to hear it. A while ago when the first one left, comment was made about personal safety because of the income KSP had generated for him - and that Mexico wasn't the safest of environments for those with such wealth. Anyone remember that?

Then others left. I would suspect for similar reasons.

Then you get teamed up with the big league, consoles. That was the beginning of their management crisis downfall... saw that coming. It's obvious, the clout held over them has crushed their control over direction - why else would they all leave?

Sad. Not the first time I've seen this however. Fun while it lasted. The future will hold a very different KSP for you.

Couldn't comment on this all evening as I was stuck at work...  Managed the Reddit post and could read a few things here.
Wasn't expecting the mass departures, but wishes everyone good luck in their endeavors. Hopefully we'll see you guys around in the mod forums or posting on the forums every now and then.

As for 1.2, a bit annoyed that it's only going to get released next week, but that's how things go.  On the bright side, it gives me time to try wrapping-up my 1.1.3 Jool-5.

As for the future of KSP, time will tell.  At least we'll have version 1.2 working and possible all mods will update, will be keeping a copy of it on 2-3 of my Hard Drives, just in case, but I am quite open for paid DLCs if they have quality stuff. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.