"There's no easy way to say this."

Superfluous J

3 minutes ago, basic.syntax said:

The wording of Nathan Kell's reddit post suggests to me that their work was done with the delivery of v1.2, their contracts ended. I think if they had been rudely dismissed, the wording would have had fewer pleasantries.

You do realize that Mike (Mu) was one of the devs which left. He has been with Squad for years and filled Felipe's shoes when he left. Also seems highly unlikely that these devs wouldn't stick around until after the release to address any bug fixes/point releases.  Bottom line, the speculation on Reddit is probably mostly crap. But something happened to cause 8 devs to leave all at once at this time. 

2 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

You do realize that Mike (Mu) was one of the devs which left. He has been with Squad for years and filled Felipe's shoes when he left. Also seems highly unlikely that these devs wouldn't stick around until after the release to address any bug fixes/point releases.  Bottom line, the speculation on Reddit is probably mostly crap. But something happened to cause 8 devs to leave all at once at this time. 

Some were contractors and their contracts may have been up. In Mu's case, it could have simply been burn-out, much like Harv. The timing is actually fairly good for the game, right before a major release that optimized the game very well, with all of the main features in place.

1 minute ago, regex said:

The timing is actually fairly good for the game

[citation needed]

To be honest, I remember thinking 'Wow, I haven't seen so many good changes in KSP for a while, I guess it's because of those new devs that were hired'.  I guessed that a lot of the friction towards new changes had gone due to a few of the longterm programmers leaving.  

Now I see that a lot of the new hires are leaving, I'm not sure how to feel.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Why does it say I have to confirm I'm 18 before viewing that link?

3 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Careful, reddit likes to exommunicate people for doing that :^)

Well, the answer deserves to be just as high as the accusation, so why not.

Edited by Temeter

2 minutes ago, Sonny_Jim said:

[citation needed]

To be honest, I remember thinking 'Wow, I haven't seen so many good changes in KSP for a while, I guess it's because of those new devs that were hired'.  I guessed that a lot of the friction towards new changes had gone due to a few of the longterm programmers leaving.  

Now I see that a lot of the new hires are leaving, I'm not sure how to feel.

Why does it say I have to confirm I'm 18 before viewing that link?

The thread is flaired as NSFW for some reason.

Just now, regex said:

Some were contractors and their contracts may have been up. In Mu's case, it could have simply been burn-out, much like Harv. The timing is actually fairly good for the game, right before a major release that optimized the game very well, with all of the main features in place.

Maybe but this has not been a PR win for Squad and was completely foreseeable. Even if their contracts were tied to the 1.2 release, I would have expected all or most of the devs to be there until after a successful release. They have all done tremendous work and have left KSP in a much better place than they found it. 

2 minutes ago, Boris-Barboris said:

Are you serious?

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing, incredulously. Like I'm going to create a Reddit account just to sock puppet for Squad.

Edited by regex

That the timing is good for the game? I gave my reasons, no citation needed. If you don't agree with my opinion then refute it.

Right before release isn't exactly the best time, as there may be bugs that aren't apparent until a full release of the game gets into peoples hands.  If the majority of devs who made the changes have left before the bugs surface, then it's an uphill struggle for the guys brought into replace them.  IMO, a couple of weeks after the release would have been much better.

2 minutes ago, regex said:

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing, incredulously. Like I'm going to create a Reddit account just to sock puppet for Squad.

Sorry, only that it was getting downvoted into oblivion and folks might actually want to see the response there. 

1 minute ago, Sonny_Jim said:

Right before release isn't exactly the best time, as there may be bugs that aren't apparent until a full release of the game gets into peoples hands.  If the majority of devs who made the changes have left before the bugs surface, then it's an uphill struggle for the guys brought into replace them.  IMO, a couple of weeks after the release would have been much better.

I'm sure Roverdude and Nightingale can handle it.

Just now, RoverDude said:

Sorry, only that it was getting downvoted into oblivion and folks might actually want to see the response there. 

And now you know why Reddit is utter crap.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

At a guess, it's getting downvoted because it's clear it's not addressing any of the concerns raised and reeks of damage control

1 minute ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Mu and Romfarer both, appear to have chosen this same time to leave Squad, their knowledge will be hard to replace and their experience sorely missed.  I stand by my feeling that the goodbye post might have been more dry and factual, if they were asked to leave, vs. deciding for their own reasons, or contract fulfilled.  I'm not too worried about a critical bug being found post-release, as we have had a nice pre-release phase where many extra hands have given the builds a spin, and a long list of issues, according to the pre-release changelog, have been addressed.  Perfect? no, and probably never. But seems to be in a much better state than some previous releases.

And now you know why Reddit is utter crap.

Someone once said, 4chan is where smart people go to pretend to be stupid; reddit is the place where stupid people go to pretend to be smart.

1 minute ago, Sonny_Jim said:

Strongly agree.  It's also why you don't release on a Friday*, there will be bugs.  There are always bugs.  Sometimes it's not really your fault (system or middleware API is just craptastic and doesn't work as intended), sometimes it is (shouldn't have made that change at 5am dammit), but there are always bugs.

I'd have retained everybody for at least a month after, just in case.  Doubly so as I experienced a crash for the first time since the PR started with the current build.

* - unless you're willing to work on the weekend.

1 minute ago, Temeter said:

Someone once said, 4chan is where smart stupid people go to pretend to be stupid; reddit is the place where stupid people go to pretend to be smart.

FTFY

Edited by regex

This was probably due to some form of animosity in Squad, why else would this not be mentioned on KSP forums first rather then Redit? With every other game dev who left we got a post from them in the dev notes and or a blog/announcement here on the KSP forums, but now almost every major dev leaves all at once and we still have no clear look at the impact from Squad that this has right before 1.2 is released? If everything was happy and dandy id expect the announcement of the mass exodus in the forum of multiple paragraphs in the latter section of the dev note tuesday, if not an official blog detailing the departure.

This is KSP shattering news everyone until Squad tells us otherwise. Don't fool yourselves, this is not good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.