"There's no easy way to say this."

Superfluous J

1 minute ago, tjt said:

THIS is wonderful and it's why games at the end of development can continue to support a healthy mod community. Modders can spend more time getting creative and less time fixing things that break from updates. Thanks @Galileo

I agree. The game has definitely reached a good finite state. Maybe Squad will go into cruise control, which would alleviate my worst fears of mods: incompatibility.

1 minute ago, Stargate525 said:

Well then.

...RIP KSP.

Heck, no. More like RIP KSP development. I'll still be playing KSP, and the fact that the game won't change much, if at all, will allow extensive modding, and also current mods to add more cool stuff. But it is sad. Wasn't that like 80% of the dev team?

1 hour ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Not entirely. According to Squad, porkjet left a couple weeks ago, and some developers took his place. I'm not sure, but they're replacing people.

THEY ARE NOW REPLACING PEOPLE WITH METAMACHINES. LET THE CONSPIRACIES FLOW

It's interesting that I am more concerned about if their mods will carry on and less concerned about if the game will develop further. I hope KSP keeps changing and evolving but for the time being i am glad that the updates have slowed down. Honestly it seems pretty normal that the modders are leaving. 1.2 is done and they don't need them anymore. So all the people who think that squad and KSP are going under and that the modders are leaving I am thinkig it's safe to assume you can relax. It's just the end extensive development.....I think. 

Just now, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Not entirely. According to Squad, porkjet left a couple weeks ago, and some developers took his place. I'm not sure, but they're replacing people.

The question is, do we want what an entirely new team would offer?

It's one thing to have people come and go, the new people learn about the goals and intentions of the game from those that are on the team when they are hired.  However in the case of an entirely new team, the end result may not be desirable.  Infusions of new ideas are good, but replacing the whole team at once, not so much.

Think of it like your skin.  Skin cells multiply and old ones die off, but you are always covered in your skin because they don't all die off at the same time.  This is a far cry different from losing all of your skin at once!

Basically KSP has been skinned alive here.  If a new team comes in they will be operating entirely on their own preconception with no input from older team members.  I've seen this happen before, and the end result is usually not good for the players.

If Squad chooses to hire a new team to work on the 'franchise' I would strongly urge them to begin work on KSP 2, not KSP 1.3.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

No moderator touched any posts on this subject. Our job is to enforce the forum rules and nothing more; if asked to censor for an agenda I think half or more of the mod team would resign, frankly speaking I would if so asked.

And someone on r/kerbalspaceprogram had made a post that has a few lies in it about what happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55zzmg/information_about_recent_events_at_squad/?st=ITX6TR24&sh=81ea762a

Just now, Alshain said:

The question is, do we want what an entirely new team would offer?

It's one thing to have people come and go, the new people learn about the goals and intentions of the game from those that are on the team when they are hired.  However in the case of an entirely new team, the end result may not be desirable.  Infusions of new ideas are good, but replacing the whole team at once, not so much.

Think of it like your skin.  Skin cells multiply and old ones die off, but you are always covered in your skin because they don't all die off at the same time.  This is a far cry different from losing all of your skin at once!

Basically KSP has been skinned alive here.  If a new team comes in they will be operating entirely on their own preconception with no input from older team members.  I've seen this happen before, and the end result is usually not good for the players.

If Squad chooses to hire a new team to work on the 'franchise' I would strongly urge them to begin work on KSP 2, not KSP 1.3.

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier. I know there are a couple of the developers left, so they may have some influence over the direction. But I'm sure, whatever happens, it will be quite interesting to see, for better or worse.

22 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

What alshain said; a little turnover is good to cull stagnation. This was a gutting. I don't know of any game that's continued after more than half the dev team leaves in such a short period.

As good a place as any to thank, wholeheartedly, those who have worked on KSP past and present, those who have left and those who remain, for making my most played & enjoyed game in many years.

All who have had a hand in this wonderful game deserve every success in their future endeavours and I can't wait to see what you do next.

EDOT - Roverdude denied all of this, but couldn't say more because of NDA. I would generally rather take his word than some very soft confirmation from a mod.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55zzmg/information_about_recent_events_at_squad/d8fa6sw

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, this landed on reddit, from someone claiming to have inside information. Reddit mods said they are 'almost sure' he is correct (obviously that info cant be made public), so take it with a grain of salt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55zzmg/information_about_recent_events_at_squad/

Goodday.

I can't tell you who I am or what my role is in all of this, but I have information about the recent events at Squad. Some of this information is already known, other perhaps not.

First of all, the 8 developers who left yesterday left because of unreasonable demands, unbelievable working conditions, and terrible upper management. For instance, it's not uncommon during crunch time for people to work up to 16 hours a day.

Secondly, Felipe (HarvesteR) left for the same reason. He wasn't tired of KSP, he was tired of Squad.

Currently, there are 2-3 developers left. Two of them were not held highly by their fellow devs, and the third one is RoverDude, who only work part-time.

Another point: Squad has been actively censoring the official forums. Any content related to the resignation of the 8 devs was immediately removed. This was done by Squad staff, not the regular forum mods. With this in mind, it's also pretty obvious that the latest Devnote is full of excrements. They don't want anyone to think that something is wrong.

Since the majority of developers is gone, KSP's development will come down to a snail's pace. In fact, 1.2 may be the last big update we'll get.

Finally, the one of the expansion packs mentioned in the latest Devnote is rumored to just be RoverDude's MKS/OKS mods. Whether they'll make people pay for it I do not know, but there will at least be some paid content in the future.

It would definitly explain why they all 'decided to leave' at once, despite the development supposedly being continued for a while.

If that's true, then to whoever was responsible for the business-side managing the personal: You screwed it up. This is going to seriously hurt whatever KSP is supposed to be in the future going forward. It's impossible to just replace that talent, no matter how low you might think of those people.

Edited by Temeter

There may be truth in some of it, but I have a hard time placing too much stake in someone who attacks just about everyone - including talking trash about 2 of the 3 remaining devs.

Edited by tjt

3 minutes ago, Temeter said:

If that's true, then to whoever was responsible for the business-side managing the personal: You loveed it up.

No, they probably didn't, they got the value they wanted and now they're going to cash in on all of that hard work by diversifying or selling the IP. KSP as a game is done in development, there's very little money to be made from the base game anymore, as I see it. Squad's "founders" have consistently shown that they care about the bottom line and the bottom line only.

5 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Btw, this landed on reddit, from someone claiming to have inside information. Reddit mods said they are 'almost sure' he is correct (obviously that info cant be made public), so take it with a grain of salt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/55zzmg/information_about_recent_events_at_squad/

It would definitly explain why they all 'decided to leave' at once.

If that's true, then to whoever was responsible for the business-side managing the personal: You loveed it up. This is going to seriously hurt whatever KSP is supposed to be in the future going forward. It's impossible to just replace that talent.

Makes one wonder what level of contempt exists and what level of continued support and development remains for a few of the great mods. 

Rest In Peace my hopes for a 1.2 RSS?

i would hope not. 

7 minutes ago, Temeter said:

It would definitly explain why they all 'decided to leave' at once, despite the development supposedly being continued for a while.

If that's true, then to whoever was responsible for the business-side managing the personal: You screwed it up. This is going to seriously hurt whatever KSP is supposed to be in the future going forward. It's impossible to just replace that talent, no matter how low you might think of those people.

A few minutes ago there was this comment by @RoverDude. I kinda wish he'd said something here, but I'll take his word there.

Kind of a relief, really :) 

I've been watching this thread with interest to see what the reaction to this news would be.  I've been loath to enter into the fray.  First, because I do not know the circumstances surrounding their departure, and second, what I think of the dev's actions matters little in the grand scheme of things.

However, I would like to say this:  This last update has been by far the most significant, productive, game changing, and (for me at least) satisfying update that Squad has (or will soon) release.  All drama aside, the guys that worked on this should be very proud of their work, their candor, their accountability, and their love of this game.  I applaud all of them.

I can only hope that they decide to stay in the community, and that they continue their amazing work in making KSP better for all of us.  I don't know any of the developers very well, (i've communicated and collaborated with some), but I hope to in the future.  I've learned much about KSP and modding from their work, and truly appreciate it.

Good luck guys.  Thanks for making KSP the game it is, both outside and within Squad.

Got to remember Squad is a Marketing company, when Harvestor and Co left the soul of KSP left.  Nathan and the modders came in and did there thing, now its time to leave too I guess.  The only one left is RoverDude it seems.

Edited by malkuth

Not really knowing enough to opine on anyone's decisions here I'll just say Im pretty sad about all this. They've have done some incredible work over the last few years. They gave their all on this update and its really fantastic. Really sad to see them go.

10 minutes ago, Temeter said:

I smell the BS a loooooong way. I might even hear his voice. 

It's more like a ton of salt and no work experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.