"There's no easy way to say this."

Superfluous J

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

No moderator touched any posts on this subject. Our job is to enforce the forum rules and nothing more; if asked to censor for an agenda I think half or more of the mod team would resign, frankly speaking I would if so asked.

Ok, cool. This makes me wonder how they got deleted now. I will believe you. I just wonder now why and how other posts were deleted, if no moderators touched it. Ideas?

All I can say is, I smell a rat, and I don't like it. I thought only the moderators could delete posts. The thought that others can delete posts as well is, frankly, frightening.

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on here?

10 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I thought only the moderators could delete posts.

Do you think moderators are the only people with admin accounts here? That's silly because someone has to pay the bills and it's certainly not the moderators.

10 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

The thought that others can delete posts as well is, frankly, frightening.

Why is that frightening? This is a private forum run by a private company operating under that private company's rules.

I think I didn't really clarify my post. I know development will continue on KSP, and I'd like to see where they take it, it just doesn't feel the same knowing nearly all the brilliant minds that crafted the game so far are gone. It feels like we're at a crossroads, and I don't like it. Either development will stop, and the game is done, or they continue in a different direction, potentially one I don't like.

I'm not conspiracy-theorizing about this, I have no idea why they left or anything about threads being deleted. I just don't like where things could go in the future now that things have changed.

Guys, don't jump to conclusions. Sure, Squad could've forced employees to work 23-hour days and paid them in gruel. Or, it's just as likely they left because they tired of the project and wanted to move on to other things. We don't know.

1 minute ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

I know development will continue on KSP, and I'd like to see where they take it

I'm willing to bet that development is going to slow down to basically nothing beyond bug fixes at this point. KSP will transition over to a content-providing revenue model or the IP will be sold to the highest bidder; this is probably the last version we'll see with new content. This project has been worked on for over five years and the revenue stream is going to dry up pretty soon; anyone who was going to buy KSP has likely already done so.

2 minutes ago, regex said:

I'm willing to bet that development is going to slow down to basically nothing beyond bug fixes at this point. KSP will transition over to a content-providing revenue model or the IP will be sold to the highest bidder; this is probably the last version we'll see with new content. This project has been worked on for over five years and the revenue stream is going to dry up pretty soon; anyone who was going to buy KSP has likely already done so.

I am kind of excited about that possibility. finally wont have to play catch up with mods anymore. 

1 minute ago, Bomaye said:

Holy batman how some of you guys spin on nothing.

You remind me of some of my first rockets...... :confused:

First, funny! My rockets have been known to do a somersault and then continue to orbit.

Second, how is this nothing? Could you elaborate?

2 minutes ago, regex said:

Do you think moderators are the only people with admin accounts here? That's silly because someone has to pay the bills and it's certainly not the moderators.

If it's silly, feel free to laugh. But the moderators are the ones who promised to uphold the forum rules. What this means is that there might be an account that has moderator privileges but has not promised to use power responsibly. As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the people listed as 'SQUAD staff' on the forums are counted as high level moderators, and also swore to use their power responsibly. 

7 minutes ago, regex said:

Why is that frightening? This is a private forum run by a private company operating under that private company's rules.

Technically, yes, but they promised so much more. The forums are supposed to have freedom of speech, within reason. This negates all that. Also, as I mentioned above, if no moderator did it, it basically means we suddenly have a very powerful user who also has no restrictions. How is that not frightening? SQUAD set the rules for this forum, and suddenly, they don't follow those rules. Down that path is chaos and anarchy. If no moderator did it, then who did? If a non-moderator did it, then we have a serious problem, mate.

Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

First, funny! My rockets have been known to do a somersault and then continue to orbit.

Second, how is this nothing? Could you elaborate?

If it's silly, feel free to laugh. But the moderators are the ones who promised to uphold the forum rules. What this means is that there might be an account that has moderator privileges but has not promised to use power responsibly. As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, the people listed as 'SQUAD staff' on the forums are counted as high level moderators, and also swore to use their power responsibly. 

Technically, yes, but they promised so much more. The forums are supposed to have freedom of speech, within reason. This negates all that. Also, as I mentioned above, if no moderator did it, it basically means we suddenly have a very powerful user who also has no restrictions. How is that not frightening? SQUAD set the rules for this forum, and suddenly, they don't follow those rules. Down that path is chaos and anarchy. If no moderator did it, then who did? If a non-moderator did it, then we have a serious problem, mate.

Am I wrong?

i mean, is there solid proof things were deleted? Im seriously asking because i dont know or havent seen it. Or has it been all just been something someone said?

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

Am I wrong?

Yes. This is a private forum run by a private company that has rules set by said private company. They are not at all beholden to "free speech" in the slightest because this is their property which you use voluntarily; any notions of "free speech" are at their whim and they are perfectly within their rights as owners of this property to censor or remove content that they find disagreeable.

1 minute ago, Bomaye said:

No

Yes

One word answers, huh? 

in that case... 

Elaborate?

1 minute ago, regex said:

Yes. This is a private forum run by a private company that has rules set by said private company. They are not at all beholden to "free speech" in the slightest because this is their property which you use voluntarily; any notions of "free speech" are at their whim and they are perfectly within their rights as owners of this property to censor or remove content that they find disagreeable.

Please come back once you've read the forum rules.

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

Please come back once you've read the forum rules.

Please come back when you understand who wrote/owns the forum rules.

Edited by regex

Just now, regex said:

Please come back when you understand who wrote the forum rules.

I think passions are getting out of hand here. First, SQUAD wrote those rules. Second, because they wrote them doesn't mean they get to break them. This kind of discussion dates back to the whole debate of whether or not kings were above the law. The conclusion in civilized society was that they were not.

From rule 1.5: "While we do allow dissenting opinions and encourage healthy and constructive debates, please remember to follow the rules and present them in a manner of suitable taste and respect. In other words, you don't go to your friend's house and start smashing their windows, so don't do something as equally offensive in ours." 

They claim to allow free speech, yet here they are limiting it.

4 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Second, because they wrote them doesn't mean they get to break them.

Yes, yes they can.  Read those rules again carefully, specifically the part where they can change them at any time without notice.

These forums are Squad's property which you use voluntarily under their rules which they can change at any time. They are perfectly within their rights to censor or remove content they find objectionable, for any reason, at any time.

Edited by regex

3 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I think passions are getting out of hand here. First, SQUAD wrote those rules. Second, because they wrote them doesn't mean they get to break them. This kind of discussion dates back to the whole debate of whether or not kings were above the law. The conclusion in civilized society was that they were not.

I think you need to relax a little. Seems like you're speculating waay too much and looking for a conspiracy.

2 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

They claim to allow free speech, yet here they are limiting it.

From rule 1.2:

Squad and all staff members (as noted in rule 3.1) reserve the right to add, subtract or edit rules and posts as they see fit without prior notice

And from the end of the page:

Take note: Squad and the staff reserve the right to change these rules or add to them at any and all times they deem this necessary and without prior notification. Squad and the staff also reserve the right to act and enforce punitive action in any situation they deem unwanted - even if the situation does not break any of the rules set in this post.

It is their forum, they can do what they like with it.  It might not make sound business sense but I've not seen many people accuse Squad of that in the past...

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, they released the pack, added the code to support part upgrades, and did post advertizedments for hiring... I imagine that they are going to have 1 more update to make use of these rocket parts and upgrade system that they've paid for.

I called it when they said they were going to release the assets.  By releasing them, it sounded like they were not going to use them and PorkJet was no longer working for Squad.  What I'm seeing in articles from news sites is that PorkJet was gone several weeks ago, even though his name was on the reddit post yesterday.

What they released is only a 1.25m revamp, not the full thing.

https://techraptor.net/content/kerbal-space-program-squad-quits

As a clarification chris (porkjet) left the company some weeks ago and there is already new people filling that position. Regarding the developers along the last year we have been hiring new people and new people are coming in. We count with the support from very talented internal and external developers for PC that are already working on the game. As we said before we are a professional company with 9 years of history and not only in videogames. We are capable of handling this kind of situation.

Edited by Alshain

18 minutes ago, EliasDanger said:

I think you need to relax a little. Seems like you're speculating waay too much and looking for a conspiracy.

Okay. I feel pretty relaxed right now, so yeah. But, you are right, emotions are too high in this debate, so I'll be mostly withdrawing after saying this.

@regex perhaps you are right. Perhaps I'm still just looking for some reason to have faith in SQUAD. In that case, I realize purely how arbitrary the forum is, and that we cannot expect SQUAD to respect the rights that are often taken for granted. This is saddening. But I suppose you are right. I guess I was just still trying to have faith in SQUAD.

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I called it when they said they were going to release the assets.  By releasing them, it sounded like they were not going to use them and PorkJet was no longer working for Squad.  What I'm seeing in articles from news sites is that PorkJet was gone several weeks ago, even though his name was on the reddit post yesterday.

What they released is only a 1.25m revamp, not the full thing.

Yes, you did. I remember thinking, "nah, that can't be true" at the time. Boy was I ever wrong!

41 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I am kind of excited about that possibility. finally wont have to play catch up with mods anymore. 

THIS is wonderful and it's why games at the end of development can continue to support a healthy mod community. Modders can spend more time getting creative and less time fixing things that break from updates. Thanks @Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.