Thank you for everything and good luck!

UomoCapra

This game has taught me so much, been so much fun, enticed me to try silly concepts. Make an SSTO. Long time player, first time poster. However, I have some experience with companies moving into new phases of development. We might be witnessing how Squad moves toward being acquired.

2 minutes ago, The Wild Hun said:

This game has taught me so much, been so much fun, enticed me to try silly concepts. Make an SSTO. Long time player, first time poster. However, I have some experience with companies moving into new phases of development. We might be witnessing how Squad moves toward being acquired.

It is time for you to take your place at my side at EA, and fulfill your destiny...

2 minutes ago, Perry Apsis said:

It is time for you to take your place at my side at EA, and fulfill your destiny...

Perhaps not EA. Maybe something more distributor-ish. Activision? Or even a private investor with a cash infusion... My experience is in light industrial remanufacturing and logistics/reverse logistics. I don't profess to knowledge of the gaming software industry. Just observation from some experience in other, unrelated things.

Here is wishing well to everyone who has contributed to making KSP what it is but has found the need to make a timely exit! May your future success be so great as to even eclipse the wonder of KSP :)

Hopefully the owners of this IP will not spoil it with bad judgement.

I don't think someone can just abandon KSP. People need a break just once in a while, but the affection for this game rarely disappears.

All of the work outlined for the update 1.2 was done. To me it looks like Squad didn't have the solid outline of development goals for the next update. They won't need such a big team of bugfixers for a while.

13 minutes ago, luizopiloto said:

(Clipped that glorious animation about the lacking of multiplayer)
You promised it... ಠ_ಠ

I'm really disheartened with the loss of so many great developers that I've had the pleasure of knowing from their interactions with the community, something I couldn't say the same for of any other game outside of Minecraft and they're in and out listening spells for it's own development.

This is a good point though, not to say they owe us Multiplayer, but I recall Squad putting Multiplayer on the "You'll have it" list.
Now I may not be the best person to say it, but it really does seem like Squad itself is doing a great job of reminding us that there's a business behind all this.

Can you imagine what Multiplayer would do for new sales? I've got friends who've been waiting on it to be released to get my opinion on it before buying the game themselves. If anything it really would have been an awesome final feature before Squad died of a business practice induced blood clot.

Think someone else said it the best, Let Elon have it, and maybe offer our cast of great developers a proper incentive for their work along with a new face or two.

Btw, what does this mean:

As many of have probably heard, Mike (Mu), Bill (Taniwha), Nathanael (NathanKell), Sébastien (Sarbian), Jim (Romfarer), Brian (Arsonide), Chris (Porkjet) and Nathan (Claw) decided to part ways from Squad.

That's a weird way to formulate this news. First impression is that Squad wants to slow down external development, which would be their decision, yet this sounds like the devs left out of their own will. Which really makes no sense if all go together.

I'm going to make a note here that RoverDude has been making the rounds on Reddit noting that he's been treated pretty fairly by Squad and has no problems with them. He just has a full time job elsewhere.

He also makes a passing mention to KSP being a contract situation, which leads me to think that most of the employees were hired under a temporary contract, and perhaps the contract ended. Maybe they were just temporary hires for 1.2?

3 minutes ago, CobraA1 said:

I'm going to make a note here that RoverDude has been making the rounds on Reddit noting that he's been treated pretty fairly by Squad and has no problems with them. He just has a full time job elsewhere.

He also makes a passing mention to KSP being a contract situation, which leads me to think that most of the employees were hired under a temporary contract, and perhaps the contract ended. Maybe they were just temporary hires for 1.2?

They were very much temporary hires faik, external contractors. It wouldn't be something special if Squad just decides to let them go and rather go with full time in-house devs.

35 minutes ago, CobraA1 said:

These were my thoughts too - experienced guys brought in for the duration of the update preparations to speed things along and ensure quality - which they did by the booster full, and then some.  Probably only doing it temporarily (as overtime) because they have full time jobs already so can't do it for extended periods anyway.

It's sad to see them go, they have been outstanding, their enthusiasm and professionalism has shone throughout.

Best wishes to them all.  And lets see what the future brings...

Mike, Bill, Nathanael, Sébastien, Jim, Brian, Chris and Nathan,

You guys have given me, the community so much more that you may ever know. You have given us days of your lives as Modders and as Developers, all to make a good game better. Thank you all so much. I wish you all the best in the Universe (ours and the little green guys' ). And I hope you'll stop by the hanger and VAB from time to time, to talk thrust to weight ratio or Delta-V . Been absolutely the best flying with you.

See ya in the Black

8 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

It's sad how KSP is being left by great contributors (or perhaps they left because they were collectively annoyed by the corporate greed?) when it's still half baked. There are so many things this game lacks both in visuals and content.

Let me just add that I'm disgusted and annoyed by the fact this was announced on Reddit first. Reddit, the idea-bashing pile of bloated trolls.

This forum is the core of your community, Squad. Not Reddit, not YouTube, not 4chan or CNN. The forum. It has the best collection of great people, namely modders, who are actually the ones that kept this game going on, and your actions are continuously mocking this place. Rant over.

Probably they have more freedom outside the forum that is controlled by squad itself

Mike (Mu), Bill (Taniwha), Nathanael (NathanKell), Sébastien (Sarbian), Jim (Romfarer), Brian (Arsonide), Chris (Porkjet), Nathan (Claw)

Thank you.

Whatever you do or don't do next, thank you.

You made it all possible, you all truly rock.

THANK YOU.

I can't help myself thinking that there is something very wrong @SQUAD. This massive exodus of dev just doesn't make any sense to me. Finally the game looks like a solid product. And now that the software look stable, it should be the moment to add the long features requested by the community/former dev team. (multiplayer, life support, EVA features, etc... ) You had the perfect team for that purpose, and if @SQUAD was short of some hands, they just have to wave in the addon forum for them to find the missing talent.

Maybe it is too soon to express my deep concerns about the future of this game, but how is it possible to continue in the proper direction if the body and soul of the game is now working on other projects? Beside loosing time, I just fail to understand the purpose of letting your complete dev team go away. This is quite a loss of assets.

The word "franchise" is not a good omen. I fear @SQUAD wants to maximize their profits before anything else. Sure, they are the owner and have all the rights to do so. However, this doctrine doesn't usually lead to a better product in any way. I'll be watching the big announcement in one week with a certain anxiety.

Lastly, because many of us were using mods made by the former dev team almost as if those were stock, that abrupt message of the devs leaving all at once without giving any information concerning the future of their vital mods, will also fuel concerns in the community.

I really hope this news doesn't lead to an other Flying Tiger alike fiasco.

9 hours ago, MaxPeck said:

Nah, I figure it's more the middle of the end.  The beginning was when Harvester left.

9 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I was going to give it 2, maybe 3, more updates.  Now 1 might be more likely, then on to expansions.

I'm afraid the game and the community will die soon, with many mods left unupdated and all those people leaving

Also the long awaited API change isn't going to happen

1 minute ago, Agost said:

I'm afraid the game and the community will die soon, with many mods left unupdated and all those people leaving

Also the long awaited API change isn't going to happen

Why does the game finishing development mean the end for the community?  I've seen this a few times and it boggles the mind.  I mean, most games finished development, are released, and a community grows around them.  If anything, KSP has a head start.

4 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Why does the game finishing development mean the end for the community?  I've seen this a few times and it boggles the mind.  I mean, most games finished development, are released, and a community grows around them.  If anything, KSP has a head start.

Some of the SQUAD members also created/maintained some important mods and most of them leaving all of a sudden may be a deterrent for many modders to keep on working...

I'm just afraid of KSP being left alone, still with many old bugs and limited performance capabilities ( Vulkan would have been a very nice addition to the game, along with some serious graphics overhaul)

I was waiting for 1.2 to start playing again but there's a serious risk I'm not going to find the mods that I wanted to install anymore

Edited by Agost

15 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

10 minutes ago, Agost said:

If the SimCity 4 community is any indication, than a long finished and "abandoned" (by the publisher) game can stil enjoy an extended lifetime and healthy modding community for years to come.

I just hope that they stay as modders - or at least hand over their work to other enthusiasts to maintain it and keep it going.

7 hours ago, fried_rice said:

China is a nation of 1.4 billion people, most of whom are shorter than the N'Am/EU average height of women. Yet from within its borders, some of the tallest basketball players show up.

Large communities have huge piles of garbage, but they also collect the tallest trees.

I'm afraid a community is judged by its average values, not by its extremes.