Jump to content

Thank you for everything and good luck!


Recommended Posts

It's sad how KSP is being left by great contributors (or perhaps they left because they were collectively annoyed by the corporate greed?) when it's still half baked. There are so many things this game lacks both in visuals and content.

 

Let me just add that I'm disgusted and annoyed by the fact this was announced on Reddit first. Reddit, the idea-bashing pile of bloated trolls.

This forum is the core of your community, Squad. Not Reddit, not YouTube, not 4chan or CNN. The forum. It has the best collection of great people, namely modders, who are actually the ones that kept this game going on, and your actions are continuously mocking this place. Rant over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MaxPeck said:

Here's the thing that bothers me... in the past when Devs leave, they don't rejoin the community.  They disappear completely.  I'm not aware of any devs who left Squad and then continued to participate on here.  That's problematic now, because this particular crop of individuals ran some pretty pivotal mods (Mechjeb, RSS)... what will happen with those?  Are these guys unpersoned like previous departures, or is development of MJ and RSS going to continue?

@sarbian @NathanKell @taniwha??

Sarbian just posted an hour ago in a help thread, Nathankell last posted in a 1.2 bug report thread.

Edited by legoclone09
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

It's sad how KSP is being left by great contributors (or perhaps they left because they were collectively annoyed by the corporate greed?) when it's still half baked. There are so many things this game lacks both in visuals and content.

 

Let me just add that I'm disgusted and annoyed by the fact this was announced on Reddit first. Reddit, the idea-bashing pile of bloated trolls.

This forum is the core of your community, Squad. Not Reddit, not YouTube, not 4chan or CNN. The forum. It has the best collection of great people, namely modders, who are actually the ones that kept this game going on, and your actions are continuously mocking this place. Rant over.

It wasn't Squad that announced it on Reddit.  It was a former developer of Squad.

Edited by Alshain
Link to post
Share on other sites

Stop being dramatic guys, look at Skyrim. Even after the last few patches signaled the "end" of updates (which isn't what's happening here), the mod community exploded because of the stability a "final" update offered them.

I haven't played a completely vanilla career since version 0.23, so the modding side of things is much more important to me. I'm sure ksp is going to have a healthy modding community for the foreseeable future. Even after the proverbial "lights" go out on the devs side of things. 

If the creators of my favourite game say it's done, I'm not going to stop them from taking their skill/expertise and moving on to create something (dare I say it) better.

In fact, someone like Sarbian leaving would be of much greater concern to me. Module Manager is king.

Que mob with pitchforks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Let me just add that I'm disgusted and annoyed by the fact this was announced on Reddit first. Reddit, the idea-bashing pile of bloated trolls.

Let me just add that the subreddit's subscriber count likely far surpasses the forum population. If you want the most people to know about it the soonest, well, there you are. I also heavily disagree with your characterization of the place (as would the 130,000 people there), but different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by Zucal
grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dewar said:

In fact, someone like Sarbian leaving would be of much greater concern to me. Module Manager is king.

Que mob with pitchforks.

Would be? You are aware that he left as well, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry at all about MM, someone will pick that up and continue it if Sarbian decides to let it go.  Remember, Sarbian didn't create MM.

Edited by Alshain
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zucal said:

Let me just add that the subreddit's subscriber count likely far surpasses the forum population. If you want the most people to know about it the soonest, well, there you are. I also heavily disagree with your characterization of the place (as would the 130,000 people there), but different strokes for different folks. 

Yes, quantity, as usual, determines quality. How foolish of me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm into KSP since 0.18, where the game loaded for 3 minutes and crashed at every second time, someone pushed the "launch"-button. It's hard to believe what has happend in the last few months. Once there was a time we were awaiting devnote-texts by every developer and thought to know everyone who works on the game. This changed - first slowly. Then Harvester left and the house of cards seemed to fall. Just before Maxmaps leaving, this great charakter in messing up at the weekly squadcast, have had to be a sign for the communitiy. Remember the days when we get informed about the marriages of devs. - But Squad just seem to pay redicolously low wage compared to the spirit and fascination for the game that comes from the community.

This article from May 2016 explanes it just too impressive: https://www.develop-online.net/news/squad-devs-blast-kerbal-space-program-studio-for-high-crunch-and-low-pay/0220059

A long time ago (one years or two) the devnotes were about "multiplayer backend", which was coded at this time. A thing I'm waiting, waited for. Also clouds and other environmental stuff, or a second gas giant, where mentioned here and there. Yesterday KSP felt a bit spirit-less. Harvester would have put the comet 67P and the ability to land on it into the gabe. Today KSP feels more vital then any time (1.2) and dead at the same time. It feels like there was some kind of internal crush between 0.90 and 1.0 which lead to the plan: "Bring KSP out as good as possible, do not disappoint the community. But leave this place, if you can."

And there we are now at 1.2 and the core team, the still-left-minds behind KSP, are leaving. Or are forced to leave. We don't know. May this be an uncontrolled reentry or just another burn prograde, we aren't able to see in this dark hours. It's time for me, stuck in an RSS-Save with nearly 1k+ KSP-hours, to say thank you for the great work of every single devoloper who did their jobs - even in the (LINK above) mentioned circumstances - with the hope to bring us players the best KSP-experience we will ever have.

I can understand everyone who misses Felipe Falanghe more than ever. We can now imagine he didn't left his baby "KSP" in the best mood. Maybe the community has to take on the responsibility for Kerbal Space Program one day. (Elon Musk will send humans to Mars. He'll need money and space-enthusiastic people all around the globe. We all in this community know that there's just one way to achieve this goal within hours: playing KSP. Elon should buy the game and put it back into the right hands)

 

Cheers everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Yes, quantity, as usual, determines quality. How foolish of me.

Well, that conclusion came out of nowhere :P

My point is that having a lot of people who care about KSP in a single location makes that location an attractive place to post news. I'm also of the opinion that tarring tens of thousands of people with the same brush is pretty... excessive. No need to refute points I didn't make.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Stop being dramatic guys, look at Skyrim. Even after the last few patches signaled the "end" of updates (which isn't what's happening here), the mod community exploded because of the stability a "final" update offered them.

I haven't played a completely vanilla career since version 0.23, so the modding side of things is much more important to me. I'm sure ksp is going to have a healthy modding community for the foreseeable future. Even after the proverbial "lights" go out on the devs side of things. 

If the creators of my favourite game say it's done, I'm not going to stop them from taking their skill/expertise and moving on to create something (dare I say it) better.

In fact, someone like Sarbian leaving would be of much greater concern to me. Module Manager is king.

Que mob with pitchforks.

And this is pretty much the summation of my thoughts, albeit in a more positive light. But it just doesn't seem to me that 1.2 doesn't is a final stability patch. There are still wheel bugs, and other issues left in some of the key components. And as someone else said in the reddit thread or on here, when modders-turned-Devs have left in the past they've abandoned some pretty key mods as well. Which sucks, because it can indefinitely freezes mods in development limbo permanently. Most of these guys worked on or managed keystone mods like RSS/RO, Animated Decouplers, MM, MechJeb, etc.

 

Clouds already formed on the horizon when HarvesteR left, and the storm is approaching quickly.

Edited by sharpspoonful
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I wouldn't worry at all about MM, someone will pick that up and continue it if Sarbian decides to let it go.  Remember, Sarbian didn't create MM.

I'm more worried that this is the last chance of MM being integrated into stock.

If any mod should be stock, it's MM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm more worried that this is the last chance of MM being integrated into stock.

If any mod should be stock, it's MM.

I think that ship has sailed along with the rocket part revamp I'm afraid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all very sad, but I am so grateful for the work that these people have done.

I imagine that based on the articles regarding Squad that we are all jumping to conclusions - I've been part of a mass exodus from a company too, but I imagine that the reasons for leaving will not be known for at least a year.  Squad are known for Non Disclosure Agreements as part of their employment contracts.

However, my first thought was that 1.2 really is a top release.  Bugs really do need to be sorted.  Important modders were CONTRACTED (not employed) to ensure the game continued to have life so that further official expansions and paid for DLC could now be truly envisioned and applied without the constant bug chasing.  For WHATEVER reason, those who have left either chose not to renew, or weren't offered a renew of contracts.

I for one, if I want a pamphlet printed or a sign made, don't employ someone to do it.  If I can't do it myself then I pop down to a print shop and CONTRACT them to do it.  Then I don't need to have ongoing costs of employment.

I could imagine that the pay wasn't enough to continue on as well.

I could be way off, in any of this, and I am giving Squad a bit more credit.  If Squad really wanted the cash cow then they would sell the IP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too concerned. They probably aren't selling many new copies, and the money for further development has to come from somewhere. There may be a few more bugs to squash, and Squad may consider expansions, but I suspect these guys were brought in as a temporary push to get 1.2 to where 1.0 should've been. I just hope that's what it is (Squad running out of money), instead of something less pleasant like a work environment issue.

I do hope these guys aren't burned out from modding, though; they've been cornerstones of KSP modding for a long time, and that's a big part of the appeal for a substantial part of the community.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Yes, quantity, as usual, determines quality. How foolish of me.

China is a nation of 1.4 billion people, most of whom are shorter than the N'Am/EU average height of women. Yet from within its borders, some of the tallest basketball players show up.

Large communities have huge piles of garbage, but they also collect the tallest trees.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...