Thank you for everything and good luck!

UomoCapra

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You can't land a Mk3 spaceplane on a pair of LY-01s in a vertical drop from space. #BROKEN

Oh right. Yeah, broken. I have yet to test the rover wheels in 1.2 but I am hoping they fixed the bug that is stopping me completing a few craft..

5 hours ago, CobraA1 said:

I'm going to make a note here that RoverDude has been making the rounds on Reddit noting that he's been treated pretty fairly by Squad and has no problems with them. He just has a full time job elsewhere.

He also makes a passing mention to KSP being a contract situation, which leads me to think that most of the employees were hired under a temporary contract, and perhaps the contract ended. Maybe they were just temporary hires for 1.2?

That's a very informative post, thank you! I was very disappointed by the recent news but now it seems to me there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by WhereAmI

Thank you to the devs for your hard work.

I've been a part of this game development for years, aside from reporting bugs, I have been pretty quiet on things; I just wanted a good game.

I've rarely seen a company screw over employees like what is going on here. I love this game a lot, but I've never seen such horrible repeated turnover. My local McDonald's can keep a crew longer than squad seems to be able to. 

The hardworking developers are appreciated, no doubt. I am really frustrated with how this process has been handled. I bought back at .18, and bought several copies as gifts for family and friends along the way. With as many sales as there has been, there is just no reason for the bungled 1.0 version and the fumbles since.

Losing so many devs at once? Unless they come forward and explain, this seems to be the very end. Anything beyond this will have to be a mod done privately(as so much of the game refinement seems to have been).

I realize this game was created in order to fund other ambitions, but wow this is just a mistake.

5 hours ago, Benoit Hage said:

I can't help myself thinking that there is something very wrong @SQUAD. This massive exodus of dev just doesn't make any sense to me. Finally the game looks like a solid product. And now that the software look stable, it should be the moment to add the long features requested by the community/former dev team. (multiplayer, life support, EVA features, etc... )

There's no money in that, especially if you're altering the base game for those features. KSP has been under development for over five years, too, it's nearing the end of development time.

The word "franchise" is not a good omen.

Well, there's no money in just updating the game...

However, this doctrine doesn't usually lead to a better product in any way.

This is likely the final version of the product.

Lastly, because many of us were using mods made by the former dev team almost as if those were stock, that abrupt message of the devs leaving all at once without giving any information concerning the future of their vital mods, will also fuel concerns in the community.

Don't fret, I know for certain some of them will still be around.

16 minutes ago, regex said:

Don't fret, I know for certain some of them will still be around.

Still, this is an active time on the forum, and none of them are. Some of them popped online for a while, but none of them had anything to say until now.

Edited by monstah

3 minutes ago, monstah said:

Still, this is an active time on the forum, and none of them are. Some of them popped online for a while, but none of them had anything to say until now.

Maybe they're just really tired and burnt out from working non-stop in a known "crunch time" environment for a company that may be paying the minimum possible in their area...

Just now, regex said:

Maybe they're just really tired and burnt out from working non-stop in a known "crunch time" environment for a company that may be paying the minimum possible in their area...

It's in my nature to expect the worse, but I'll try and see it as you do. Hope you're right.

3 minutes ago, monstah said:

It's in my nature to expect the worse, but I'll try and see it as you do. Hope you're right.

Hahaha, for once I'm the positive person here. .

THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to KSP and especially this final release.  The pre-release changelog thread has been an awesome read over the past few weeks; both testers and developers have been knocking themselves out to make v1.2 as good as they can. We're in a much better place thanks to your efforts! :) 

This is it... This is the end... Expect Jeb, Bill, Bob, Val and Seth Rog... Kerman and crew to all be fed to the Kraken, If they're lucky, they'll be raptured to the great space center in the sky, and maybe sever one of the Kraken's tentacles in the process...

3 hours ago, regex said:

Hahaha, for once I'm the positive person here. .

It's CONSPIRACY. Space aliens abducted devs and switched regex for this nice, positive , coolheaded doppelganger. But we wont be fooled. Give us back our old regex, now, or I will start an internet petition!

Edited by radonek
embarrasing mistake

5 hours ago, richfiles said:

This is it... This is the end... Expect Jeb, Bill, Bob, Val and Seth Rog... Kerman and crew to all be fed to the Kraken, If they're lucky, they'll be raptured to the great space center in the sky, and maybe sever one of the Kraken's tentacles in the process...

/barman kerman palm xD : ) (( rep limit ))

btw "barman kerman" is real it can pop in your crew ; )

9 hours ago, stevevictory said:

Anything beyond this will have to be a mod done privately(as so much of the game refinement seems to have been)

I think i will never forget Claw.

I lost my ships after using The Claw then i found this thread from Claw fixing The Claw. I was confused. It was my first mod.

And he was just a user from the forum.

Well, my thoughts:

I think it is time for KSP to be considered "finished". It has almost all the major features it could want without needing to become a totally different game. Life support was deliberately omitted in the name of "Kerbal fun" and multiplayer would probably be a major development task to do well. KSP also remains limited in some ways by the Unity engine, and that reliance on a third-party engine is why I think the Minecraft model of continuous development isn't suited to KSP. To really improve the game requires a fresh start, a KSP sequel.

As mentioned, the latest crop of modders-turned-devs were all hired in a fairly short space of time IIRC. In hindsight it's no great surprise that they all leave at once, although it perhaps could have been expressed more clearly.

As fas as KSP on PC goes, I just hope Squad retained enough talent for maintenance. 1.2 will have bugs, I expect some 1.2.x releases will be required, and they need the people to make them. And Squad could do with somebody to finalise the models Porkjet made and get them in the game. And if 1.2 is going to be the "finished" KSP then there needs to be an updated demo too, which could also fix the poor part selection in the 1.0 demo.

As fas as KSP on consoles goes ... ugh. That's been a mess from the start and Squad really need to sort it out if they want to restore the game's reputation.

As far as the future of Squad goes, I would like to see them develop new games. I don't see a "Kerbal franchise" as a bad thing. But, I think Squad need to stop acting like an indie bedroom outfit and start acting like a proper development studio! They've earned millions from KSP and unless that's been diverted into unrelated projects or siphoned of into the owners' bank accounts (either of which is perfectly legal by the way) then it should be available to do game development with. I don't expect "AAA" level stuff but I do think the quality should be improved. KSP is a brilliant game, a visionary concept given the backing it needed, but with its bugs, performance issues, and at times visual unimpressiveness it's not a technically high-quality game.

I'm actually ashamed of some of you.... selfishly, you ask who will fix the bugs now that they have left, a week out from the release...

Firstly, they posted goodbye, it never said WHEN they were leaving, it could be a day after 1.2 is released, it could be end of the month, it could be next year.... stop being so dammed disrepectful in suggesting they would leave the game in the lurch like that... is that all you can selfishly think of.... no "Thanks for your hard effort guys and good luck for the future"... "Thanks for all the fish".... no.... rather than say goodbye and be sad they are leaving, some of you can only think about yourselves and the game...

(sigh)

To those AWESOME developers leaving the employ of Squad... I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the service you have provided the community, and the hard work you have put into the best game in the Universe... I salute you, and I wish you well with your futures... BUT... don't be a stranger, please, continue playing the game and say hello to us here at the forums... OH... and BTW.... thanks for all the fish. I not only respect you guys, but I love you as brothers... (and sisters if any....)

Live long... and prosper.

One small bit of optimism for KSP's future came from @RoverDude, who on his stream last night said he was looking forward to the future KSP development.  NDA and all, so no details of course, but he did sound positive about the outlook for KSP.  May not be much, but he IS still there, so it's keeping me from falling completely to the dark side.  In fact, maybe even Expect Good Things...like maybe we finally get something like Kerbal Engineer into the stock game.  It could be that the group who left was tasked with simply cleaning up/fixing/finishing 1.0 into what it should have been, and once done the decks were cleared to make way for the real goodies that we've longed wanted. :)