[1.8 - 1.9.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science (NEOS) (0.9.1)

micha

For KEES, I think I bypassed the wait time utilizing the "[X] Science! " mod because I got the full science value utilizing that Science mod for seeing what science was available. Hasn't even been 1 minute.

Edited by DrPastah

Ok people, release 0.7 (yayy, we actually finally made it to the release!!) is out.

As nobody raised any real concerns with the last beta, I'm crossing my fingers that things will go just as smoothly for the masses and you all enjoy a fairly stable experience :)

Have at it!

EDIT:

... and 0.7.1 is out - a small hotfix which fixes experiment recovery for contracts for custom KEES experiments.

Edited by micha

And now available via CKAN  :)

Please note that this is not an automatic update. The mod is now called "Nehemiah Engineering Orbital Science" and conflicts with the older ones.  Also, CKAN now only offers the full install, if you want only part of the mod, either download it directly from GitHub, or delete the relevant sub-folders from the install. The old ones will be removed from CKAN at some point in the not too distant future.

Is the HGR Spud pod, and/or the green Soy-Juice, going to get a Kemini patch? In the meantime, I've bodged them together by renaming the MM_HGR config in the Kemini folder to MM_Radish, and going in and editing it to say Spud in the name field, saving it as MM_Spud, and again editing it to say Soy-Green, and saving that as MM_Soy-Green. As it was, I could not be sure if they could be combined, but if they can, it would perhaps save on filesize...

4 hours ago, grungar3x7 said:

Is the HGR Spud pod, and/or the green Soy-Juice, going to get a Kemini patch? 

Send me the files or even better create a git pull request and I'll add them for the next version. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Micha,

first of all thank you for the work you are doing for this beautiful mod.

Now the "bad" part: I can't find any way to install a rack in the MPL-600 or MSL-1000. The wiki just says, for example, the Microgravity Science Toolbox must be installed in MPL-600 but it doesn't explain how. I see no "add rack" or something similar in the lab menu and dropping the rack on the lab have no effect. Am I missing something obvious? Or shall I start to investigate a possible bug/mod conflict starting from a vanilla installation?

Thank you for any help and a Happy New Year to everybody

Galimba

Hi Galimba,

Thanks for the kind words.

The general idea is at least 3 launches (although of course you could try to do it in an all-in-one launch using MOAR BOOSTERS):

1) Launch the lab and dock it to your station.

2) Launch a station mission carrying the lab equipment using the Lab Equipment Container. The desired lab equipment must be loaded in the VAB. Dock this to your station and you can now install the Lab Equipment into the Lab using the right-click menu (I can't check right now but it's either by right-clicking on the lab itself, or on the Lab Equipment Container).

3) Launch a station resupply mission with an "ESC" container. Load the desired experiment(s) into the ESC in the VAB. Dock this to your station and you can now install the experiment using the right-click menu (again, not sure whether it's the menu of the lab or the ESC).

Please note that Lab Equipment can only be installed into the correct Lab, and an Experiment can only be installed into the correct Equipment, so if you take the wrong Equipment or Experiment to your station it may not be able to be installed.  You might want to try a dummy test on the launchpad before doing actual launches.

If you still have issues could you attach some screenshots showing the exact problem?

Thanks,

- Micha.

Edited by micha
Clariied text slightly

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Micha

I just noticed the OMS ESC 4 shows scrambled labels when the contained experiments are not in the same state.

Here you can see 4 snapshot showing the issue (sorry, 100 mods installed). All the experiments was completed (the last one already finalized) and I pressed the four buttons in order, from top to bottom taking a snapshot at every step.

Please note the ESC 4 IS WORKING CORRECTLY!!! Only the labels in the menu are scrambled:

- Pressing the first button "Finalize MIS-3", the MEE2 experiment (in the first ESC 4 slot) was correctly finalized

- Pressing the second button "Finalize MEE1", the MIS-3 experiment (in the second slot) was correctly finalized

- Pressing the third button "Finalize MEE2", the PACE experiment (in the third slot) was correctly finalized

At the end all the labels was correct. The same before installing the experiments.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, thanks for maintaining this excellent mod! :D

The spacedock download seems to contain only the KEES.

Edit: I have also noticed that the experiment definitions for the orbital material science experiments NE_CCF and NE_CFE are missing their default results. The results are actually available in the localization dictionaries. I suppose the this is merely a typo or a copy/paste error.

Edited by canisin

1 hour ago, micha said:

Hi canisin, 

Glad you like it and thanks for the feedback.  I'm currently in the process of moving to Japan but once there hope to pick up development again.

Thanks,

- Micha.

Wow! What a big news! Well, I hope you the best in your relocation. Take your time. I can easily fix the issue on my side and hopefully anyone else who stumbles across the same can see my post to find the resolution.

• 1 month later...

Thanks @Bersagliere81!  I do plan to keep this updated, but I'm partially through a revamp of all the models to Unity 5.4 - which I guess I now have to change to Unity 2017!! - and also still settling into Tokyo.
A "quick fix" would be to just recompile for KSP1.4.x, but I'm fairly keen to finish fixing up the models first as that will likely mean some minor incompatibilities with existing saves. I was really hoping to get that all done before 1.4, but I wasn't planning on relocating! So right now I'm a bit undecided whether to release a new version "as is" or whether to finish up the Unity/model revamp first.

What do people think? By the looks of things, KSP1.4.2 is still pretty flakey..

I'd be happy to wait until such time as KER is officially updated for the current game version. I think there would be a significant number of players who are waiting for that mod before starting a new campaign. If this mod update was around that time, it would likely be sufficient for those people.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2018 at 5:08 AM, micha said:

Thanks @Bersagliere81!  I do plan to keep this updated, but I'm partially through a revamp of all the models to Unity 5.4 - which I guess I now have to change to Unity 2017!! - and also still settling into Tokyo.
A "quick fix" would be to just recompile for KSP1.4.x, but I'm fairly keen to finish fixing up the models first as that will likely mean some minor incompatibilities with existing saves. I was really hoping to get that all done before 1.4, but I wasn't planning on relocating! So right now I'm a bit undecided whether to release a new version "as is" or whether to finish up the Unity/model revamp first.

What do people think? By the looks of things, KSP1.4.2 is still pretty flakey..

I trust your move to Toyko has been uneventful, in a good way.

I've been waiting for KSP 1.4.x to stablize before I give this mod a try.  My thought is for a KSP 1.4.3 release and then updates as your model work progresses.

Edit: FYI, there is a new KIS coming.  The KIS v1.0 Beta now has a Release Candidate and eventually the old KIS will disappear.  You may want to consider updating your mod accordingly.

Edited by Brigadier

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 5:06 AM, Brigadier said:

I trust your move to Toyko has been uneventful, in a good way.

I've been waiting for KSP 1.4.x to stablize before I give this mod a try.  My thought is for a KSP 1.4.3 release and then updates as your model work progresses.

The move went alright, the settling-in is taking a bit longer than expected. Unfortunately, work is being WAY more demanding than I expected.. hopefully it will settle down in another month or so before picking up again next year.

The problem with a staged approach is that the model rework goes hand-in-hand with some mod changes, as well as save-game changes. So far my testing seems to show that the mod can "upgrade" a save-file but I'm wary of breaking people's games, so I just wanted to make a single "big" and potentially game-breaking release instead of several smaller incremental ones.

On 5/24/2018 at 5:06 AM, Brigadier said:

Edit: FYI, there is a new KIS coming.  The KIS v1.0 Beta now has a Release Candidate and eventually the old KIS will disappear.  You may want to consider updating your mod accordingly.

Thanks for the heads-up! @N3h3mia's original plan was to make KEES standalone, but I think there's far more interesting things we could do with this mod than re-write KIS.  One idea I have (but haven't gotten too far with yet) is to make all the "big" experiments modular so that you can install them into any one of the station labs. Physically they are already modular, but they're hard-coded in which spot they can be installed in.

7 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Will this not work at all without a recompile?

So I just wanted to try this, but it turns out that 1.4.3 doesn't work on my Linux box - or at least, the keyboard doesn't.  The game starts, the mod loads, I can build a craft and add experiments, but without keyboard, it's a tad tricky to try anything more. So I think the current version might work as-is. Please try it and let us know :)

I have a recompile of the dev branch for 1.4.3.  It loads and a very quick test didn't show any issues.  I’ll be testing this in my stream this evening.

I love the idea of this, it gives real meaning to having multiple launches.  Combined with Station Science, it will really make the game more interesting.

One question I have, though, is science only available one time, no matter where you are, or will this work Round different planets?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have a recompile of the dev branch for 1.4.3.  It loads and a very quick test didn't show any issues.  I’ll be testing this in my stream this evening.

Thanks for testing this.  As I said, a recompile is probably not even necessary if people just want to play right now, however, I'd really prefer to make a "proper" release with some updates and fixes for 1.4.x so if you could please hold off branching this for now that'd be appreciated. I promise I'll set some time aside for it in the next few weeks.

I need to resolve my keyboard issues (or, shock horror gasp, use Windows) and review where I got to.  I was also waiting on CKAN to implement a "deprecated by" system.

This discussion is probably better continued in the development thread..

I love the idea of this, it gives real meaning to having multiple launches.  Combined with Station Science, it will really make the game more interesting.

Yeah, me too, which is why I took it over when N3h3mia got too busy for it. I just really loved mucking about with my stations using this mod.

One question I have, though, is science only available one time, no matter where you are, or will this work Round different planets?

There's nothing in the code restricting it to Kerbin.

From a scientific perspective most experiments would also make sense to repeat around different bodies - after all, each planet is not only unique in its own right but also its near-space environment is also unique. Different levels of radiation, magnetic fields, density and composition of surround material (dust/micrometeorites), etc etc.

Edited by micha
Add link to CKAN issue tracker

@micha, if it's any hope, I'm at 1.4.3 now. Moved there his career from 1.3.1. I have this mod installed and it works. At least all experiments on KEMINI and KEES programs are performed, contracts for them regularly appear. Including on other planets, though so far only open and studied Mun and Minmus. As for KEMINI, the experiments are added not only to the stock command modules, but also to some other of the different mods on the parts. Not yet tried the experiments on the scientific modules, because the establishment of such stations by type of ISS still to come.

This is a great mod, it adds goals to the game and along with the mod M. O. L. E from Angel-125 is a good addition for more realism and career development.:cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.