[1.8 - 1.9.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science (NEOS) (0.9.1)

micha

3s1Doyj.jpg

I've been given @N3h3mia's blessings to officially support his excellent collection of Science Mods for KSP 1.x as he is currently unable to find the time to continue these. Please raise bug reports for this build to myself and not to N3h3mia.

[ License-GPL--3-green.svg Source-GitHub-green.svg CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg KSP%20AVC-supported-brightgreen.svg MiniAVC-Included-orange.svg ModuleManager-Included-orange.svg SpaceDock-listed-blue.svg CurseForge-listed-blue.svg

NOTICE:  This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

Download links

Updated to 0.9.1 on 2020.06.10

NOTE: If upgrading from earlier than 0.7.1, there is a slightly changed file format.  It will update automatically from an earlier version, but you won't be able to revert. Please take a backup of your saves before installing.

Changes from 0.9.0 (Full Changelog)

• Significantly nerfed science payout for all experiments.Fix experiments automatically starting if there are insufficient crew in the Lab. (No longer creates a KAC alarm unless the experiment is actually running).

• Fix experiments not pausing when crew leaves the Lab.

• Fix "Finalize" not showing the experiment abbreviation.

• Kemini: Fix being unable to Move and Finalize an experiment if the Lab does not also have storage as is the case with the HGR SoyJuice pods.

• Kemini: Fix multiple experiments accruing Lab Time from all Labs.

Known Issues

Reporting new issues

1. If running with mods, try to reproduce the issue without any mods.
  2. Please supply steps on how to reproduce the issue.
  3. Attach your log file (KSP.log, found in the KSP game directory) and optionally a save-game which can be used to reproduce the issue.
  4. Ideally raise the bug report on the GitHub tracker.

Mod Incompatibilitiers

• Kerbalism: Reports of NEOS (specifically, KEES), contracts unable to be completed when Kerbalism is installed.
    • Fixed by Kerbalism team - use Kerbalism 3.0 or later.

General

• The "interior overlay" is not displayed properly for parts which have an IVA.

Overview

This set of mods consists of 3 main components:

• Kemini Research Program (KRP) - early-game orbital science experiments for the Mk1 command pod.
    • requires ModuleManager
    • compatible with a range of third-party command pods.
  • Kerbal Environment Effects Study (KEES) - mid-game orbital science experiments for your first orbital stations.
  • Orbital Station Science (OSS) (Was: OMS/KLS) - end-game experiments for large long-duration stations,  requiring heavy lifters and significant station infrastructure.

The basic premise is that experiments are run in "Labs". Labs, Lab Equipment, and Experiments are launched separately. Equipment must be installed into the correct lab, and Experiments can only be run on certain Equipment. KRP and KEES are simpler variants with some/all of the equipment/labs pre-integrated.

Once an Experiment has been installed, it can be "Run", which will take some time. The idea is not to time-warp to completion, but to run the experiments in the background while performing other missions.  When done, an Experiment can be "Finalized" and must then be returned to Kerbin.

Quick Tutorials

NB: From v0.7 onwards, this set of mods also has in-game KSPedia entries showing basic usage.

Kemini Research Program

Spoiler

MUST have "ModuleManager" mod installed

1. In the VAB, right-click on a Kemini-compatbile Command Capsule.  There are one or more slots into which you can install experiments if everything is installed properly.  Experiments must be unlocked in the Tech Tree before they can be installed (if the list of available experiments is empty, you haven't unlocked any).
  2. Launch vessel into a stable orbit.
  3. Start running experiments (right-click on command capsule). If your vessel has multiple Kemini Labs you will be asked to choose one.
  4. After an experiment is "Finished" it must be "Finalized". Depending on your vessel, you may first have to "Move" the experiment from the Kemini Lab to Kemini Storage.
  5. Experiments must be run and finalized in the same environment (so avoid highly eccentric orbits).

Kerbal Environmental Effects Study

Spoiler

MUST have "KIS" mod installed

1. In VAB, add KEES parts to containers (either the KEES-PC, a command-capsule "Seat", or a generic KIS Container). You need the KEES-PEC and one or more experiments.  NB: These can be on separate launches; in fact, the aim is to have a rudimentary station in orbit onto which the PEC is mounted, and science missions to recover completed experiments and install new ones.
  2. Launch vessel into stable orbit.
  3. Using KIS, attach the PEC to the outside of your vessel. You'll need an Engineer and a Tool for this job. Read the KIS manual for more information on how to attach parts.
  4. Install an experiment onto the PEC (any Kerbal can do this, simply drag from the KIS inventory onto the PEC).
  5. Run the experiment. It must be "finalized" before it can be recovered.
  6. Recover the experiment. Using KIS, "G"rab the experiment and drag it into a Container. Any Kerbal can do this.
  7. Deorbit and recover the vessel to get the Science!

Orbital Station Science

Spoiler
  1. Launch one or more of the labs
    • MPL-600 - multi-purpose lab
    • MSL-1000 - Material Science lab
    • MEP-825 - Material Exposure Platform (a more advanced version of the KEES-PEC)
  2. Launch lab equipment. Please note that lab equipment can only be installed into specific labs.
  3. Launch experiments. Please note that experiments can only be installed and run in specific lab equipment.
  4. Run the experiment. Note that an experiment must be "finalized" before it is marked as finished.
  5. <TBC>

Edited by micha
Release 0.9.1

I used this mod with 1.1.3 so I'm excited to give this a try. I've unlocked the MSC-3/D5/D8 experiments in the tech tree but I'm not sure how to run them? It used to require a "install experiment" button click on the Mk1 command pod but I don't see that anymore.

Has it changed or is this a bug?

Somehow it works fine now after a restart.

Edited by viveleroi

1 hour ago, viveleroi said:

I used this mod with 1.1.3 so I'm excited to give this a try. I've unlocked the MSC-3/D5/D8 experiments in the tech tree but I'm not sure how to run them? It used to require a "install experiment" button click on the Mk1 command pod but I don't see that anymore.

Has it changed or is this a bug?

Have you got ModuleManager installed? It's required for Kemini.

**NEW RELEASE**

KSP1.2 release is out. Enjoy folks.

Edited by micha

Never used this before, but it looks interesting. Documentation for the original mod suggests that KIS/KAS is a required dependency for some (but not all) of the experiments. Is this still the case, or can you run everything natively nowadays?

57 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Never used this before, but it looks interesting. Documentation for the original mod suggests that KIS/KAS is a required dependency for some (but not all) of the experiments. Is this still the case, or can you run everything natively nowadays?

The "Kemini" experiments require ModuleManager.

The "KEES" experiments require KIS (but no longer KAS).

The remainder (OMS & KLS) is standalone.

The info is in the Dev thread (hidden in the Tutorials.. probably not the best spot!), but I guess this thread is the better place for it now.  Given @N3h3mia's continued absence and his lack of response to recent emails I'm considering making this an official unofficial fork with proper releases from now on.

EDIT: Top-post updated

Edited by micha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems with KEES contracts. The contract is not recognising the 'recovery' portion of the contract after landing and capsule recovery. This may be due to a glitch in Contract Configurator so I'm crossposting there as well.

Link to the log: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/00wopjfzoucjhfd/output_log 2DEC2016.txt?dl=0

Any light you can shine on this would be helpful as this pack is very useful in the early game.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

** NEW RELEASE **

0.7a0-mw9 is uploaded, containing a new GUI (no more click-through), localisation support (german only for now, help wanted for other languages), and a few bug fixes (KEES contract returns).

I'm a bit confused, first time using this package.

In the research nodes, I see the KEES-Payload Carrier, the KEES-Passive Experiment Carrier, and multiple experiments. The in game description of the Passive Experiment Carrier says "Transport container for KEES-PEC and KEES Experiments", but isn't the Passive Experiment Carrier the PEC?

The quick tutorial in the OP also says "In VAB, add KEES parts to containers (either the KEES-PC, a command-capsule "Seat", or a generic KIS Container). You need the KEES-PEC and one or more experiments.", and that the PEC should be attached to the outside of the craft, and experiments get loaded onto it?

Unless my understanding of how these things are supposed to work is wrong, I'd say the PEC and PC have been used interchangeably both in the OP and in the in game description?

You are wrong: The ingame description of the Passive Experiment Carrier says:

An Experiment carrier that can be attached on the outside of a space craft in space and does hold the experiment. It is designed for use in microgravity and will not sustain the G-load of launch or reentry.

And the ingame description of the Payload Carrier says:

Transport container for the KEES PEC and the KEES Experiments.

The Payload Carrier is only to transport the parts to space. It`s like a KIS-Container so cou can use alternative a KIS-Container or the inventory of every seat in your capsule. But the Payload Carrier has a bigger storage. The PEC is the holder to attach and run the experiments. It must be attached to your ship in space during an EVA. Don`t forget a wrench or electric screwdriver. Then you can attach one of the four KEES-Experiments to the PEC. After finishing an experiment you can detach the experiment and then attach another experiment to it. You can attach the PEC with an experiment in VAB but it will tear off during ascent because it snaps under high pressure (look at the ingame description: It is designed for use in microgravity and will not sustain the G-load of launch or reentry.).

Hmmm, ok. Could I have a mod conflict then?

This is what I get when I mouse over each of the relevant items.

screenshot1.pngscreenshot0.png

The item called the KEES Passive Experiment Carrier looks to have the image and description of the Payload Carrier (only just noticed the image text when I did the screenshot)

@strudo76 Thanks, I'll double check all the descriptions in and out of game. But if you have any concrete examples of where it's wrong can you please pm me? Ta :)

Edit: ok thanks for the pics.  Probably got the id's wrong setting up the translation support.

Edited by micha

Yes, as expected I accidentally swapped the titles of the PEC and PC in the english translation.

Fixed in the code (download from GitHub if you want the fix now), will make another release "soon" (will wait for more bug reports to come in).

On 2017-6-18 at 3:00 PM, strudo76 said:

The item called the KEES Passive Experiment Carrier looks to have the image and description of the Payload Carrier (only just noticed the image text when I did the screenshot)

Fixed in 0.7b1..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.