[1.8 - 1.9.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science (NEOS) (0.9.1)

micha

Oh, man!  Very likely now that you've pointed it out, but CKAN appears not to be updated, and shows the incompatibility and the old thread in the metadata (although there is a link on the old OP pointing to the new thread).  I'll read through the new thread and see what I can learn.

After problems with CKAN I stopped trusting him and install mods manually. Of course we have to spend time on periodic inspection, but it is worth it, as always up to date with the latest updates and additions. In addition, not all authors support CKAN and such mods can be found only here on this forum.

5 hours ago, micha said:

New release for KSP1.4.3; see OP. (Please be patient while download sites other than GitHub are updated)

Thanks, micha.  I've been waiting on this until I moved to KSP 1.4.3 and now I'm going to put this mod into my career game today.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:29 AM, Sokol_323 said:

After problems with CKAN I stopped trusting him and install mods manually. Of course we have to spend time on periodic inspection, but it is worth it, as always up to date with the latest updates and additions. In addition, not all authors support CKAN and such mods can be found only here on this forum.

I prefer the rare problems with CKAN compared  to spending time doing what you call periodic inspections.   I can update my 240 mod install in a couple of minutes.  I can even make a totally  new install, install 240 mods and be done in about 10 minutes or so.  I spend more time updating the 3 mods which are installed by had than all the rest combined.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I prefer the rare problems with CKAN compared  to spending time doing what you call periodic inspections.   I can update my 240 mod install in a couple of minutes.  I can even make a totally  new install, install 240 mods and be done in about 10 minutes or so.  I spend more time updating the 3 mods which are installed by had than all the rest combined.

It's not really on the subject. I agree with your opinion and actually fully support it. But it so happened that my transition from version 1.3.1 to 1.4.1 coincided with CKAN problems. I couldn't download the mods I needed. So I started to install them manually. Actively read the forum and learned a lot of new and interesting. Now I have my own build of mods, which is verified in the required dependencies and works quite stably on my computer. In addition, some of these mods are still not supported by CAN or are not formally compatible with the 1.4.3 version of the game, although it works fine. CKAN under no circumstances will not give these mods to deliver. Many because of this limit themselves and either do not move to new versions, or refuse some mods, being unsure of their correct operation due to the fact that there is no support for CKAN. Believe me, a lot of question on different branches of the forum for this topic. But I understand that controlling a huge number of mods, tracking some changes and updating them manually is a hell of a job. And of course CKAN in this case is the perfect assistant. On the other hand, I love communication, I love reading the form and very often I discover something new for myself. I never even came here with CHAN before. Now I started practicing my English again, although it is still terrible and I have to use online translators.

Excuse me for this offtop.:blush:

don't blame CKAN for modders being unwilling to provide the minimal support it needs, mainly, a .version file is very helpful not only for CKAN but for KSP-AVC.  Some modders have good reasons to not support CKAN, but there weren't any "major' problems with CKAN when 1.4.1 came out.  It takes time for modders to verify and update their mods.  The fact that it works is not always a given, and sometimes it works partially.  I don't want mods delivered which have not been validated to run on the version I'm running.

For example, this mod, Nehemia Engineering, "worked" in 1.4.x, but there were some subtle issues which weren't obvious at first glance.  Now that it's been updated, it's in CKAN and I'm happy to  use it.

CKAN will not list a mod if the modder does not want it listed.  Not CKAN's fault, just playing nice.  So don't blame CKAN for that.  And a mod isn't "supported by CKAN", it's "added to CKAN by the author or at the request of the author"

Regardless of whether a mod is in CKAN or not, there are always questions about compatibility after a major update.  

I'm glad that you are smart enough to do your own build of mods.  Not everyone is.  And I wish you good luck when a major update comes out.  I have tools to help me rebuild the more than 143 mods that I support, and it still takes time.

13 minutes ago, Sokol_323 said:

... are not formally compatible with the 1.4.3 version of the game, although it works fine. CKAN under no circumstances will not give these mods to deliver.

You do realise that you can tell CKAN which version(s) of KSP are compatible with your current install, and thus allow you to install mods for older versions of KSP, right?

13 minutes ago, Sokol_323 said:

Excuse me for this offtop.:blush:

No worries; but can we please move this discussion into a new thread if you'd like to continue it. Ditto @linuxgurugamer.

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

..., this mod, Nehemia Engineering, "worked" in 1.4.x, but there were some subtle issues which weren't obvious at first glance.

Oh? Apart from a recompile I didn't really change anything, and I'm afraid I only had time for rudimentary testing. Could you please let me know what issues you saw so that I can double-check that they are, indeed, not present in the rebuild?

11 minutes ago, micha said:

Oh? Apart from a recompile I didn't really change anything, and I'm afraid I only had time for rudimentary testing. Could you please let me know what issues you saw so that I can double-check that they are, indeed, not present in the rebuild?

I may be getting this confused with another.  I'll review my version and see if I did make any changes, if so, I'll let you know

Sorry about the divergence of the thread

Looks like the only change I made was adding in a MM script to add the KeminiModule to stock parts:

• Mark1-2Pod
  • mk1-3pod
  • Mk1-1A2

I don't remember where I got it from, it may have been from an earlier post.  Let me know if you want it.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't remember where I got it from, it may have been from an earlier post.  Let me know if you want it.

Thanks!
Yeah, @COL.R.Neville posted those in the dev thread and I made an issue so I wouldn't forget. And of course promptly forgot about it! :)  I don't have Making History..  will try to remember for the next release. Hopefully will get a bit more time starting next month.

Edited by micha
Insert link to GitHub issue

3 hours ago, micha said:

Yeah, @COL.R.Neville posted those in the dev thread and I made an issue so I wouldn't forget. And of course promptly forgot about it! :)  I don't have Making History..  will try to remember for the next release. Hopefully will get a bit more time starting next month

Ok, then I'll just add it in my own game and wait for the next update

I'm currently maintaining ScienceAlert and ExperimentTracker, both of which are used to do Science when it becomes available.  They shouldn't trigger when an experiment needs time.  I posted in your issues how to fix [x]Science from running the experiments

I see the following experiments, do they all require time?

• NE_KEES_ODC
  • NE_KEES_POSA1
  • NE_KEES_POSA2
  • NE_KEES_PPMD
  • NE_KEES_TEST

And if so, are they all on parts made by the same (unique) manufacturer?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

Is it normal that the KEES PEC floats away as soon as an experiment is attached?

Engineer with eqipped tool was doing the job, attaching the PEC to the outside of the station and then attaching the experiment.

If a wrench is not good enough, why can it then be used to attach?

Now, when all floats away, there's nothing to be done but reverting to a backup save, it can be grabbed but not stored back into the inventory and trying to attach it elsewhere gives the same result.

7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Is it normal that the KEES PEC floats away as soon as an experiment is attached?

Engineer with eqipped tool was doing the job, attaching the PEC to the outside of the station and then attaching the experiment.

If a wrench is not good enough, why can it then be used to attach?

Now, when all floats away, there's nothing to be done but reverting to a backup save, it can be grabbed but not stored back into the inventory and trying to attach it elsewhere gives the same result.

No, it's not normal.  I've used a drill to attach the PEC and the experiment, and have only seen the parts fly away when I've screwed up the KIS interface while my EVA Kerbal has been floating in the wrong direction.  Never tried the wrench.  I've always been able to reacquire the part and haven't had to resort to a backup (I use S.A.V.E).

Edited by Brigadier

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Definitely not normal.

Can you please provide additional information and a log file when this occurs?  Ideally also a minimal save (ie, using no other -required- (ie, parts) mods other than NEOS and KIS if possible. Optional mods (eg, KER) don't matter).

@micha it is likely because of this:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/175881-144-animatedattachment-203-now-with-animated-surface-attachments-2018-07-071/&do=findComment&comment=3416778

To check if it's fixed after removing that mod needs some tests with newly built vessels on the launchpad at least ...

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@micha it is likely because of this:
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/175881-144-animatedattachment-203-now-with-animated-surface-attachments-2018-07-071/&do=findComment&comment=3416778

To check if it's fixed after removing that mod needs some tests with newly built vessels on the launchpad at least ...

I removed that mod also after reading your post suspecting the same thing.  If you need me to install it and test let me know.

@Gordon Dry Well, without information about other installed mods it's a bit difficult for me to troubleshoot :-D

But thank you for updating with your finding - looks like it's already helped at least one other person :)

In general, if anybody encounters an issue with this mod, please try to repro first using the absolute minimum set of mods.  This really should be the first trouble-shooting step before raising issues for any mod. 

If the issue can be repro'ed stand-alone, then definitely raise a bug report (adding a log at minimum, and ideally a save-game which can repro the issue). If the issue can't be repro'ed without other mods, try to find the offending mod by adding one mod at a time, then raise an incompatibility issue to both.

12 minutes ago, micha said:

@Gordon Dry Well, without information about other installed mods it's a bit difficult for me to troubleshoot :-D

But thank you for updating with your finding - looks like it's already helped at least one other person :)

In general, if anybody encounters an issue with this mod, please try to repro first using the absolute minimum set of mods.  This really should be the first trouble-shooting step before raising issues for any mod. 

If the issue can be repro'ed stand-alone, then definitely raise a bug report (adding a log at minimum, and ideally a save-game which can repro the issue). If the issue can't be repro'ed without other mods, try to find the offending mod by adding one mod at a time, then raise an incompatibility issue to both.

Speaking of other mods and conflicts the Field Research contracts is adding contracts for the empty "ExperimentStorage" slot.  I tried to make a cfg file to have it ignore those contracts but I don't know much about doing it.

Here is my code but I don't know the name to put into the first part. Its only the Kemini experiment doing it.

CC_EXPERIMENT_DEFINITIONS
{
    name = NehemiahInc

EXPERIMENT
    {
	   name = ExperimentStorage
        ignored = true
    }
}

Edited by Vaga

2 minutes ago, Vaga said:

Speaking of other mods and conflicts the Field Research contracts is adding contracts for the empty "ExperimentStorage" slot.  I tried to make a cfg file to have it ignore those contracts but I don't know much about doing it.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't know the "Field Research" mod but will take a look.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.