[1.8 - 1.9.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science (NEOS) (0.9.1)

micha

1 hour ago, micha said:

No, guessing a copy-paste error.  The current version is 0.8.1 and is a should be a release build, which means that the "Debug Dump" button is should not be visible.  Turns out this "feature" seems to be enabled. Hmm. (For those interested, it just writes the current status of the KEES experiment into the game log file).

Regardless, the experiments work. They take time though, which is clearly stated in the docs and the KSPedia.  KEES - Running Experiments : "Go and perform other missions or have a cup of tea!") - argh! I completely forgot my tea! It's been brewing for 2 hours or so now! *sigh*

Anyway, I just tested on a brand new install and it all works (excepting the "Debug dump" button being enabled for KEES).

Unfortunately KESS POSA I experiment is not working after  3 days in Kerbin orbit...

5 hours ago, Bobomir said:

Unfortunately KESS POSA I experiment is not working after  3 days in Kerbin orbit...

Well, without further information, such as logs, savegames, etc, as has been requested, there's not much I can do to troubleshoot.
The exposure time should visibly start incrementing after a few minutes at the latest, although it will take several orbits to complete.

5 hours ago, Bobomir said:

A screenshot of your craft showing the POSA I experiment would be really useful (F1, find the file in your <KSP Install>/Screenshot directory, upload to Imgur or something similar, and post the link here).

My gut feeling is that you've missed some step in creating the experiment.  Have you:

1. Attached a passive experiment carrier to the exterior of your craft using KIS?
  2. Attached the experiment to the carrier using KIS?
  3. Started the experiment (right click - Start Experiment) and seen it open?
  4. Once the experiment is complete, Finalized the experiment?

It should take about 3-4 Khours to complete.

[ProTip] Do you have Kerbal Alarm Clock installed?  If so, do you have NEOS create alarms for experiments (there's a NEOS option to do enable this integration) and do you see the experiment time appear as an alarm (Highly Recommended)?

I'm having the same issue with the POSA I experiment. Also tried PPMD with same results. My craft was in orbit for a day with no increase in exposure time. I'm running KSP v1.7.3 and I have NEOS 0.8.1 from CKAN. The pod experiments (D10, MSC3 etc.) ran fine, however. I'm not sure where to start with regards to mod conflicts. If you have any suggestions on what type of mods could conflict I'd really appreciate it

EDIT : I uninstalled it from CKAN and pulled it from Github. This fixed my problem. I guess that means CKAN is pulling the wrong one?

Edited by fowlplayuk
Solved issue

4 hours ago, fowlplayuk said:

I'm having the same issue with the POSA I experiment. Also tried PPMD with same results. My craft was in orbit for a day with no increase in exposure time. I'm running KSP v1.7.3 and I have NEOS 0.8.1 from CKAN. The pod experiments (D10, MSC3 etc.) ran fine, however. I'm not sure where to start with regards to mod conflicts. If you have any suggestions on what type of mods could conflict I'd really appreciate it

EDIT : I uninstalled it from CKAN and pulled it from Github. This fixed my problem. I guess that means CKAN is pulling the wrong one?

..or CKAN is installing it incorrectly which comes down to whoever wrote the NETKAN file.  Anyway, glad you fixed it.

You can start diagnosing potential problems by looking through the log files (see the thread below for where to find the logs).

There's a lot of data in those files so I'll grant that useful information is (very) hard to find, if it's there at all.  Another place to look through is the <KSP_Install Folder>/GameData/ModuleManager.configcache file.  If you open any of these files with a decent text editor, such as Notepad++ or similar, you can search for errors and warnings, and a specific mod's entries, if there are any.

Another approach you can take is to start with a fresh, clean KSP install (not your current gamesave) and add mods, one at a time or in groups, until your error/problem/issue reappears when you run the game.  You can use tools such as Hyperedit (or the in-game cheat menu, Alt-F12) and KerbalX to save time and cheat you way into the correct scenario.  Then, start removing mods until you have a minimum mod collection that reproduces the problem.  Then you can go back to looking through the logs (they should be shorter, especially if you limit your game time to just enough to exhibit the problem) and/or report the issue on the appropriate mod topic.

So, rhetorically, the question is, can you reproduce the error with a fresh KSP install with just NEOS added?  If not, what minimum combination of mods does reproduce the problem?

5 hours ago, fowlplayuk said:

Hmm, that's interesting.  It's a real shame nobody can be bothered to submit log files when they get this issue. I really want to try to figure out how it can occur and then fix it.

FWIW, I also play with a copy pulled from CKAN so that in and of itself cannot be the issue. CKAN also pulls the mod from GitHub so again, it can't be due to a bad upload to another site.

To answer your question what sorts of mod could cause issues:

* Mods which interfere with the science system in some way (auto-collect science etc)

* Mods which interfere with the way resources flow in some way (NEOS experiments use the KSP resource system to run)

Again, getting a log file would let me see which mods you have installed.

Anyway, hope you're having fun with NEOS :) And thanks again @Brigadier for the support!

@Brigadier @micha

Thanks for the support guys. I always get a little twisted up with this kinda stuff. The main one being I ALWAYS check the wrong log. Hence why I didn't upload it as I didn't see anything of note.

Anyway, I removed the manual install I did and reinstalled via CKAN in the hopes of recreating the issue to be able to provide you with a log, but I couldn't recreate. It still works flawlessly. I can only assume now that maybe CKAN just didn't install it properly first time?

Sorry that I can't be of any more help

2 minutes ago, fowlplayuk said:

I didn't upload it as I didn't see anything of note.

"wrong log"?  The primary one is the one in the same folder as the game..
The thing is, you might not see anything of note, but at the very least it tells _me_ what mods you have installed and things like that.  Anyway, glad it's working for you now! :)

----

@kirkz47 Try reinstalling; seems it worked for someone else. Otherwise, PLEASE provide more information, as has been requested numerous times here now.

1 minute ago, micha said:

"wrong log"?  The primary one is the one in the same folder as the game..

So it is the KSP log that you're interested in? Not the output log in my AppData?

See what I mean about me getting all twisted up with this stuff? lol

I'd be happy to still provide a log if you wish?

Oh, there's a log in AppData too?  I mostly play on Linux so forgot about that one.
But yeah, no need now thanks - would only be of interest when the issue occurs.  But it's a really odd issue.

But when you got the issue, did you upgrade from an earlier version of NEOS, or was it a first time installing it (for that savegame)?

5 minutes ago, micha said:

But when you got the issue, did you upgrade from an earlier version of NEOS, or was it a first time installing it (for that savegame)?

First time for this particular save.

I've been away from KSP for a while. Think maybe a year? I uninstalled everything, even the game itself and started from scratch to try to minimize any issues. I tend to use CKAN almost exclusively just because I'm lazy and like the fact it does all the work for me, but I know it can sometimes be a little sketchy

Thank to @killwort (via Github issue tracker) who sent some logs etc and also figured out a workaround for the KEES-experiments-not-working issue.

I haven't had a chance to look yet, but apparently the issue has to do with the Kerbal Alarm Clock integration. Specifically, the experiments don't work without KAC installed.  So until I fix it, a workaround is to install KAC.

4 minutes ago, micha said:

Thank to @killwort (via Github issue tracker) who sent some logs etc and also figured out a workaround for the KEES-experiments-not-working issue.

I haven't had a chance to look yet, but apparently the issue has to do with the Kerbal Alarm Clock integration. Specifically, the experiments don't work without KAC installed.  So until I fix it, a workaround is to install KAC.

Thanks, micha.  Good news and since I consider KAC one of those must-have mods for my playthroughs, I'll never see this problem :cool:

Edited by Brigadier

Just now, Brigadier said:

Thanks, micha.  Good news and since I consider KAC one of those must-have mods for my playthroughs, I'll never see this problem :cool:

Lol - ditto. I have a handful of mods which I install before even starting any version of KSP for the first time.. KAC is amongst them.

Although I'll now make sure to have a "clean" install on hand for testing NEOS on its own...

Same thing here. I don't have KAC installed and when I click start, it opens up but the start button is still there and nothing happens. I do have Kerbalism which is something I thought was messing with it.

Apologies for how long it took to resolve, but NEOS v0.8.2 is out now fixing the KEES issue.

Would have been resolved MUCH quicker if somebody would have provided a log file earlier, the error was immediately obvious. Just saying.

Fly safe!

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Homozygote said:

Not sure if it's worth mentioning here, but I'm getting an insane amount of influence for kemini contracts. Like 50 influence on success, 5x what I get for other contracts. Is this intended?

Probably not; thanks for the report I'll take a look. Hopefully this weekend.  In the meantime, logs, other mods, savegame, etc which may help diagnose this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, one more thing. I'm wondering if the interaction between the OSS experiments and the Science Lab is intended? The experiments generate a excrementsload of data which is just perfect for the lab, so no complaints there. If you do that, though, the original storage container for the finalized experiment becomes "inoperable," and can be "cleaned out" in a process that takes about 30 IRL minutes but doesn't seem to achieve anything.

31 minutes ago, Homozygote said:

I'm wondering if the interaction between the OSS experiments and the Science Lab is intended?

No it's not.  OSS was created before the current Science Lab functionality was added so it might be unbalanced.  Also, all OSS experiments are designed to be returned back to Kerbin.  For processing (and potentially cleaning for reuse) in a Science Lab I'd need to rework it a bit; not even sure if it's possible.  But it would fundamentally change the premise of how OSS works. Not necessarily bad per se, but different to how the original author intended it to work and so far I've tried to keep as close to the original premise as possible while maintaining the functionality.

As for cleaning; I've managed to stop the Science Result dialog from offering a "reset" for OSS experiments; I'll look to see if I can do the same for the Science Lab.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, micha said:

NEOS 0.8.2 seems to mostly still work with KSP1.8.0.  The big breakage is KEES as that relies on KIS, which will take a little while to get sorted. Details from @IgorZ here.

Thanks for the news.  Frankly, I expect a month of patiently waiting while modders do their thing.  It'll take as long as it takes.  Have fun and I'm looking forward to a new release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.