[1.8 - 1.9.x] Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science (NEOS) (0.9.1)

micha

On 7/25/2021 at 3:55 AM, micha said:

Although one thing which this mod does which I don't think would be possible with stock is that it forces you to return the actual science parts back to Kerbin to get the science...

Actually you can do that by making the transmitted value low, or zero. There are many experiments that do it that way.

It turns out that most of the experimental progress is presented in Part Commander, just not in the format that I was expecting. In the popups, you see progress bars. In PC it's presented as a fraction like 60/100.

Edited by luna_cat
typographical error

On 7/28/2021 at 1:22 PM, luna_cat said:

Actually you can do that by making the transmitted value low, or zero. There are many experiments that do it that way.

No, that forces you to return the _science_ back to Kerbin, not the _part_. You can extract the science from the part and just return the capsule, for example. In NEOS, you have to return the actual part.

Thing is, I can't even find the button for installing the experiments. I launched experiments in an OMS as instructed in this mod's wiki, and when the instruction says I can install experiments in the labs (1000 or 600), such option just doesn't show up in the part right-click menu. I just simply can't install anything into them even when all conditions are met. 

Supersonic Rocketship, I can explain how I've worked with this mod. 

There are experiment storage containers (ESC), and lab equipment transport containers. They both can be found in the VAB by searching for "OMS".

Experiments run in the MPL-600, and MSL-1000 require lab equipment to be installed. The MEP-825 can expose samples without any extra equipment.

1. You add the parts to a transporting craft to take experiments and/or equipment to your science station. Installing everything requires five lab equipment transport containers, and thirteen ESC.

2. After you add each part in the VAB, right-click on it to set it's contents.

Note that you will want the ESC to be in a part of the craft that can be returned to Kerbin. If you are also using the Universal Storage mod, the ESC wedge can only sustain 6.0 m/s of impact, so you will need bigger/more parachutes than usual. It's disturbing to see your experimental results disappear in puff of smoke.

3. Fly the craft to your science station, and dock to it. 

4. Right-click on lab equipment transport containers, and you will be able to install the equipment. Each piece of equipment will automatically install in the proper lab module.

5. Right-click on an ESC, and move the experiment to science station module. It can also be moved to another ESC.

6. Right-click on the lab module to start the experiment. Many of the experiments have multiple segments to start. You command each segment to start after the previous one has finished. Multiple experiments can be run in the same module, on different pieces of lab equipment, at the same time. If you are using Kerbal Alarm Clock, an alarm will be set for the completion of each segment.

The ultrasound experiments can display which kerbals have already been scanned. You will have to move the crew around to allow others to be scanned. (I use the Ship Manifest Mod.) The longer ultrasound experiment requires six kerbals. You will either have to have another kerbal visit the station, or have another habitation module attached, because the MPL-600, MEP-825, and MSL-1000 together only hold five kerbals.

7. Eventually you will right-on a lab module, and end an experiment. After that, move it back to an ESC.

8. Once a completed experiment is back in the ESC, right-click on it to finalize the experiment.

9. After all the experiments that you are returning are finalized, fly the craft back to Kerbin.

Edited by luna_cat
typos

Thanks for the detailed mini-tutorial, @luna_cat.

Just a note along with this is that the mod is trying to encourage multiple visits / resupply missions to a long-term station. So rather than trying to launch all the equipment and experiments in one go, it was really thought of to build a station out slowly, adding items, and running the experiments while doing other stuff, to collect and return the completed experiments on the next resupply mission.

• 1 month later...

Fun mod to have for sure....
... but the extra "KEMINI" experiment patches related to a good numbers of mod pods are kind off and outdated for KSP 1.12 (or more recent versions, past 1.9):

• BDB:  the Gemini capsule patched is an outdated one (no more present in BDB from a while)... and no mention for the Mercury (that could receive some love alike the stock Mk1 pod)
  • Tantares: it refers to the EXTREMELY OLD "Spica" (Gemini-alike) pod made by Beale, that later was actually adopted/modified/reworked in part or totally into BDB (so... geez if it's an OLD reference, being the BDB gemini capsule being reworked, since then, at least a couple of times). It could be changed eventually to the Tantares' Vostok (with the same stock Mk1 pod characteristics)
  • WBI's MOLE pods: "Brumby" (the Gemini equivalent) is still there, but the second one mentioned in the patch has either changed part name in the latest versions, or removed entirelly

Everything else "should" work as intended (aside to activate an optional file for Squad's MakingHystory, and have the KEMINI experiment also for the Squad's Vostok/Voshkod-alike pods), being mods that (if still available) are past the development phase and just maintained, with minimal modifications, to more recent KSP specifications (FASA, HGR, Corvus, K2... etc etc).
Only extra rework should just focus, maybe, on a little better ModuleManager coding, as being absent for a lot of those patches any "logical syntax" to check if/when more correctly apply such patches to the mods.

Edited by Araym

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from my Mun low orbit staion with more than 6000 science. All from MPL-600, MSL-1000 and MEP-825.
I think I will tune up late tech tree science costs for my current playthrough. Like, tenfold. Or I'll open full tree in couple orbital missions. Right now I have new Duna Station with all OMS an LDEF experiments possibe awaiting departure - it will yield much more science.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, SuppaTenko said:

Just returned from my Mun low orbit staion with more than 6000 science. All from MPL-600, MSL-1000 and MEP-825.
I think I will tune up late tech tree science costs for my current playthrough. Like, tenfold. Or I'll open full tree in couple orbital missions. Right now I have new Duna Station with all OMS an LDEF experiments possibe awaiting departure - it will yield much more science.

Yeah, unfortunately the game is "broken" when you start installing science mods; there's simply no way to balance it. I usually dial science right down to compensate but that can make the early game a bit more difficult.

• 1 year later...

Question, is this still working with KSP 1.12? I came back after not playing for a few years, trying to update things. I notice this is one that hasn't been updated in a while. I'm having to remove several mods that have been taken over but not indexed to CKAN and some that just haven't been updated at all. So I'm trying to figure out the state of some of the more important mods like this one.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:39 PM, Vas said:

Question, is this still working with KSP 1.12?

I've used it successfully in 1.12.3 but I'm not too far in.  I've run KRP and KEES experiments in orbit of Kerbin and Mun.  Haven't got to OSS yet.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:39 AM, Vas said:

Question, is this still working with KSP 1.12? I came back after not playing for a few years, trying to update things. I notice this is one that hasn't been updated in a while. I'm having to remove several mods that have been taken over but not indexed to CKAN and some that just haven't been updated at all. So I'm trying to figure out the state of some of the more important mods like this one.

It "should" still work. Unfortunately my plans for updating this mod have pretty much come to a standstill since moving to Japan. That said, if anybody finds anything broken, I'd still be very much invested in supporting and fixing it.

23 hours ago, micha said:

It "should" still work. Unfortunately my plans for updating this mod have pretty much come to a standstill since moving to Japan. That said, if anybody finds anything broken, I'd still be very much invested in supporting and fixing it.

Alright, thats fine. I was just looking to make sure. I came back to the game, updated everything, then found some mods that people either, refuse to put on CKAN, or won't be updating anymore for various reasons, so I was trying to check which mods may or may not be broken before I bother trying to start the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.