What's going to happen to the Rocket Part Revamp?

Temeter

EDIT, small update: Nestor did comment comment on what's up with Porkjet: Porkie already left a few weeks ago because he went to a new job.

----------------------------

Fairly straightforward: Porkjet, who was doing the revamp, either decided to leave or was let go by Squad. So what's going to happen to the part revamp now? It would be quite disappointing to see it get dropped after so much teasing. And, of course, considering the current models are quite outdated and not at all on the level of more recent assets. Including the PBR shader thing; it would be nice if at least mods could use some actually good light effects, not just the antique shaders of current KSP.

And if continued, can the level of quality and style stay intact without him?

Edited by Temeter

I imagine Squad now owns the models he made so there is no reason for them not to be released. Unless Porkjet protected himself and he owns the models then nope. They will likely just be a mod in that case but I imagine he had to sign something saying that Squad would own anything he made whilst employed by them.

9 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

I imagine Squad now owns the models he made so there is no reason for them not to be released. Unless Porkjet protected himself and he owns the models then nope. They will likely just be a mod in that case but I imagine he had to sign something saying that Squad would own anything he made whilst employed by them.

Well, I'd absolutely assume Squad owns the models. Porkjet worked as a contractor.

The thing is, the overhaul wasn't done, the devnote annoucing their release said quite clearly it still had a long way to go.

Time will tell. The events of yesterday do put the release of those parts in a different light. But that can also be a coincidence. 

If Squad wants to start selling expansion packs yet at the same time keep improving/expanding the game with updates (as a great value proposition) this would be exactly the "selling point" for the 1.3 update. It's not enough to ask money for, yet it has enough beef to warrant releasing an update and “prove” that the game continues to be updated/expanded for free, without making “dot updates” mere bug fixes.

Ven's is certainly more complete, but I like what I've seen so far of Porkjet's better. The parts are more than just more HD versions of the existing ones, and they're designed to make use of the shader improvements and new part configuration features of KSP 1.2.
I really hope Porkjet finishes the engine revamp, at least as a mod.

On the PartOverhauls folder licence:

These parts are by Porkjet / SQUAD. License CC-BY-NC 3.0

And there's nothing on the big picture with the overhaul plans.

If Squad drops the parts overhauls, then a modder certainly will use them back. Even if they change the licence on any future work on these parts, licences aren't retroactive so the folder you can download now will always be free to use.

Also, as parts are licenced by PorkJet and Squad, one of them cannot redistribute them for commercial profit. Since PJ left, Squad will not be able to make a paid DLC with these.

Edit: PorkJet is still credited as the parts author in the cfgs, so there's that too.

Edited by Gaarst

1 minute ago, Gaarst said:

If Squad drops the parts overhauls, then a modder certainly will use them back. Even if they change the licence on any future work on these parts, licences aren't retroactive so the folder you can download now will always be free to use.

Also, as parts are licenced by PorkJet and Squad, one of them cannot redistribute them for commercial profit. Since PJ left, Squad will not be able to make a paid DLC with these.

Thanks, Jolly Jello :) 

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

Edit: PorkJet is still credited as the parts author in the cfgs, so there's that too.

Thanks, that's interesting. Guess they did that extra so modders could do stuff with those parts without worrying about licenses. Cool move on part of squad.

Edited by Temeter

2 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

99% certain the part overhaul is dead in the water. 

Based on what? Goat bones and entrails?  Comments like this are not useful unless you have some credible information to back it up. 

Edited by Basto

47 minutes ago, Basto said:

Based on what? Goat bones and entrails?  Comments like this are not useful unless you have some credible information to back it up. 

Well they have 3 devs left, one of which is the community manager. Like it or not but you need a team of devs for this kind of thing. At the very least it will be delayed by many months.

To me the biggest issue is the STYLE of them.  He managed to strike a balance of stock / detail that others have not. Ven's parts are nice for sure but like KW they are actually too good, too detailed to mesh visually with the latter day stock parts.

I'd like to have seen his take on the mk1-2 pod given his better mk1.  A set of 2.5 meter updated engines and perhaps a new one (as he did for the 1.25m engines) would be great, as would new 2.5m tanks - those grey ones look out if place to me.

Honestly, out of all the brouhaha...  This is the first question I really want answered.   Don't get me wrong, I liked the new plane parts, but I don't do a lot of spaceplane design...  And I was really looking forward to a rocket revamp of the same degree.   When it comes to the smaller parts, I've been using much the same parts since...   Before there was a Mun.    What little I've had time to see of the "new"  parts had me very happy and I'll be quite cross if this just gets dropped. 

For the curious, the second and only other real question I'd like answered is "What about the graphics revamp for 1.3?" 

Edited by storm6436

I am just so terribly confused?  Does anyone have any answers?  Why the mass exodus followed by promises of future work.  Are they stonewalling or telling the truth?  Why would all the devs leave at once, especially since many of them are mission critical?  I have lots of questions does anyone have answers?  I leave to play Minecraft with my daughter for a few months and come back to this.

Edited by mcirish3

2 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

I am just so terribly confused?

So are we all.

Does anyone have any answers?

Nope.

Are they stonewalling or telling the truth?

If you're surprised by radio silence at the slightest controversy, you must be new here.

Why would all the devs leave at once, especially since many of them are mission critical?

Best theory so far is that this was the end of a contract period, and thus the best opportunity.

I have lots of questions does anyone have answers?

I wouldn't hold your breath for ever getting straight answers. Previous problems have gone completely unaddressed (beta, anybody?), I don't expect this will be any different.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.