SpacePlane always spins off runway

Axilourous

Can you be more specific about what it's doing?  "Spin" could describe several things.

And, it's really hard to identify problems in a craft design if you don't show us what it looks like.

Edited by RoboRay

I think I understand the problem. Assuming that the plane design is otherwise fine, what you need to do on takeoff is to just turn on SAS and press caps lock (which allows for more precise control and is useful for flying planes and docking) and just hold the plane pointing in the forward direction. If you need to, throttle down your engines so that the plane isn't accelerating too fast.

Additionally, if this is an early-game plane using the fixed plane landing gear, the wheel which can pivot should be at the back of the plane rather than the front. This helps with control when on the ground, as the thrust from the engines is pushing against a pair of fixed direction wheels instead of one that can turn in any direction.

Thanks. also RoboRay, it happens with all planes (including stock) and by spin i mean it starts to turn the it does a U turn then goes of the runway goes straight for a bit, turns, does a U turn and then flips and explodes.

I have yet to install 1.2. This Aircraft Design: Help Needed thread was in 1.13. But it could be the pointers I received in that thread--and which turned out to be enormously helpful for me to design planes I could control--are still valid and useful in 1.2. If you go to the KerbalX site, there are craft files for a few planes I made that are controllable, although they do use a few modded parts.

I've encountered this problem when the wheels aren't quite straight. In the SPH, select the rotate tool, set rotation to absolute and make sure angle snap is on. Give them a wiggle and make sure they're set so the wheels are vertical and aligned axially with the plane. Most times that fixes the problem.

Edited by rcp27
Typo

9 hours ago, rcp27 said:

I've encountered this problem when the wheels aren't quite straight. In the SPH, select the rotate tool, set rotation to absolute and make sure angle snap is on. Give them a wiggle and make sure they're set so the wheels are vertical and aligned axially with the plane. Most times that fixes the problem.

I do that every time

16 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Are the tires of your landing gear straight vertical? If not, it can really mess up moving on the ground.

I still do that every time

18 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Can you post a screen of your plane? In the hangar with the CoM, CoL and CoT arrows turned on?

It happens to all of them (Including stock)

Try putting more landing gear on it. The existing ones might be flexing slightly under the weight of the plane, causing it to spin out of control. You could try a 747/A340/A380/MD-11 type solution where it has landing gear under the wings and under the fuselage. Also, if you're on 1.2pre, remember to auto-strut the landing gear.

1 hour ago, CaptainKorhonen said:

Try putting more landing gear on it.

A good suggestion. I've also found problems with planes being uncontrollable on the ground when the undercarriage is not strong enough for the weight of the plane.

If it's happening with stock planes have you tried turning on SAS? Also are you trying to lift your nose either too slow or too fast? Lastly what level is your airstrip? No matter how well built the plane is I can't take off from the dirt strip. What Your describing happens to me most often with landing gear that aren't perfect, that your encountering it with stock planes tells me it's something else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.