[Video] I'm Scott Manley and These Are My Kerbal Space Program Videos

illectro

Scott, I'm building a heavy lifter that's very similar to your design, but I keep having an issue. With the SRBs attached, the bottom large fuel tanks separate and cause an explosion on the launch pad. Obviously with no SRBs it doesn't have enough thrust to make orbit. I know it's not a strut issue because there are struts everywhere I could conceivably put them on this thing. Any help would be awesome, I can post a picture if you like. I have to say, you have the one KSP channel that I always look forward to seeing new videos from. Fly safe!

EDIT: Used an older design and got my ITV to orbit with just a tiny burn from the last stage's engine. Now I have to test and see if I have enough delta-V to reach interplanetary space and back.

Edited by jhz3

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've landed everywhere you can land, but making videos is another matter, my family is in town and htis takes away from the time I have to make videos.

There's my first completely unplanned attempt at Moho, but my landing skills are clearly lagging.

• 2 weeks later...

So, with the help of a temporal manipulation device, I tamed the physics engine long enough to get an Eve lander & return vehicle to the purple planet.

I splashed down on Laythe and then returned home to Kerbin

And built a 7 part rocket that can travel to other planetary systems and return

• 6 months later...

I just came up with a theory. What if someone made a space plane with a lot of power, got it fairly high but still in atmosphere (This is all done with jet engines and a TON of air intakes) then turned the engines on high to transfer to let's say, the Mun, or maybe Minmus. Think it could work? You'd need a very powerful space plane. Sorry if you can't make any sense of that. :P

Kind of the wrong thread for that theory, but it's not possible. Here's the math:

The max surface speed at which the turbojet generates any thrust is 2400 m/s. If you somehow had infinite intakes with zero drag so you could get up to this speed purely on jets at the very top of the atmosphere (69078 m), your orbital speed would then be 2594.6 m/s (flying east). Using planet.determineOrbit from https://github.com/numerobis/KSP-scripts, that would give an orbit of 577738 by 69078 m. You're not escaping Kerbin or hitting the Mun's SOI with that.

Realistically, you can get to orbits of something like 120 km x 40 km purely on jets if you have enough intakes, then switch to rockets once you're in space.

I subscribed to his channel. I just stumbled across this thread and was dismayed by the lack of Re-useablness :P

I also like the videos where Scott flys stuff built by his father. I wish my parents were willing to try out this game :)

I subscribed to his channel. I just stumbled across this thread and was dismayed by the lack of Re-useablness :P

I also like the videos where Scott flys stuff built by his father. I wish my parents were willing to try out this game :)

That was long time ago ^^

• 3 weeks later...
Kind of the wrong thread for that theory, but it's not possible. Here's the math:

The max surface speed at which the turbojet generates any thrust is 2400 m/s. If you somehow had infinite intakes with zero drag so you could get up to this speed purely on jets at the very top of the atmosphere (69078 m), your orbital speed would then be 2594.6 m/s (flying east). Using planet.determineOrbit from https://github.com/numerobis/KSP-scripts, that would give an orbit of 577738 by 69078 m. You're not escaping Kerbin or hitting the Mun's SOI with that.

Realistically, you can get to orbits of something like 120 km x 40 km purely on jets if you have enough intakes, then switch to rockets once you're in space.

Okay. Sorry that this was the wrong thread, just figured since this inspired the theory, then I should post it here. When I think that I want to post something, I don't think about WHERE to post it, mostly due to me being kinda new to forum stuff. Sorry. :(

Man I can't face the effort of reposting all my videos.

I just watched the killer asteroid video, and while the final impact rather lacked in the hypervelocity-impact-with-huge-devastation department, the fact that such a massive object (what was the mass of the one you used?) can now be touched without insta-killing vehicles and (possibly) Kerbals, opens up the asteroid space station angle.

If you could incorporate such a base into the Re-usable series, well that would be just gravy.....

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.