What Facts Do We Know About The Devs Leaving?

Mycroft

Lets look at the positives here:

The devs that have been working on the latest release have brought the game up a pretty extraordinary standard of flexibility, fun and potential.

Because of those factors there will no doubt be hundreds of viable candidates clamouring to apply for new dev jobs at Squad.  Fresh brains are usually a good thing in my experience (no I'm not a zombie btw!) even if the catching-up learning period is potentially going to slow things down a bit.  I'm just annoyed that I don't hablo the espanyols myself, else I'd be applying.

The devs that are leaving have a pretty awesome bullet-point on their resumés, right?

Edited by wossname

Well, I don't feel like reading through 9 pages of drivel, but I get a pretty good feeling of what's going on. It seems we have two camps:

• we don't know what's happened, and quite frankly, it's not our business. Why fret over it, and just wait and see what happens
  • ZOMG! What the...?? Will KSP have a future?

Disclaimer: I'm in camp #2. However... that doesn't mean you need to be a jerk about it. Arguments can and should be exchanged in a civilized manner. Converting someone to the other side should be done by convincing, not by bullying.

Now, I agree, we don't know what's going on inside Squad and it's their prerogative to keep it that way. But here's an analogy:

“Every week I go to the same restaurant. The people there know me, and I like it. Over the years, it has improved greatly. From undercooked, overspiced, or not getting food at all, it has changed into a fairly developed venue with good (but always perfectly prepared) food. Over the years, many changes were mentioned by management (a live stage, a desert bar, a better espresso machine) and some of those have actually been implemented.

Today however, I saw what seemed to be 3/4 of the kitchen staff walk out. I have a hot plate of food in front of me, so it's not going to affect dinner today. But should I come back next week?”

So, you can have the opinion that everything's fine, management doesn't seem freaked out, and if the food turns out bad next week I can always go to that new place “No Man's Sky” on the corner. I heard the food is magnificient, although a bit repetitive.

Or you can FREAK OUT and wonder if there will even be a restaurant next week.

Either reaction is not wrong per sé; it's more up to personal preference how you choose to react. And I think we can all agree on the fact that it's up to the restaurant owner on how to address this to the customers. I just think that “pretend the customers will think nothing of it” is not the wisest approach in such a PR-crisis.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

PR-crisis.

Eh, I wouldn't call it a crisis, per se; this is normal turn-over. It's just that the customers were already inflamed over some bitter ex-employees a little while back.

Edited by regex

7 minutes ago, wossname said:

Lets look at the positives here:

The devs that have been working on the latest release have brought the game up a pretty extraordinary standard of flexibility, fun and potential.

Because of those factors there will no doubt be hundreds of viable candidates clamouring to apply for new dev jobs at Squad.  Fresh brains are usually a good thing in my experience (no I'm not a zombie btw!) even if the catching-up learning period is potentially going to slow things down a bit.  I'm just annoyed that I don't hablo the espanyols myself, else I'd be applying.

The devs that are leaving have a pretty awesome bullet-point on their resumés, right?

The page before this.... @nestor's post

12 hours ago, wired2thenet said:

Volition!  That was one of the companies I was trying to recall!  Disappeared without a trace, then the source code was leaked, leading to some awesome mods later on (for Freespace).  Man, I need to find that game again!

(Sorry, OT ... just got a squee of excitement thinking about Freespace again :D )

Volition continued producing games, like for example, saints row franchise.

@Kerbart sorry, but here's where your restaurant analogy breaks down: you've been getting all those perks, and all the 'meals', for FREE, for at least the past year. 

So I see it as less "where will my next meal come from", and more "I have this last meal that is awesome, that I can continue to enjoy as long as I want." 

Squad doesn't owe us anything else, so being concerned about what might or might not come next is a non-issue. 

7 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Idk. I still don't get why we you guys were worried about 1.3. :D

I think at the start no one was really too bothered about the effect that them guys leaving would have, but after a while a few people started panicking and it had a sort of snowball effect until the very nature of the universe itself was in question.

I am glad things are clearing up.

41 minutes ago, Andem said:

Well it would be one thing if that's what I was asking him, bit it just isn't. It's all on the first or second page if you want to see it, if you can find my posts on reddit there is more evidence. That will be all.

Careful, its all recorded on here...

30 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

It seems we have two camps:

• we don't know what's happened, and quite frankly, it's not our business. Why fret over it, and just wait and see what happens
  • ZOMG! What the...?? Will KSP have a future?

I'm in camp three.
( ZOMG! What the...?? Will KSP have a future?  We don't know what's happened, and quite frankly, it's not our business.  All we can do is wait and see what happens.)

The difference with the restaurant is that you're not buying dinner every night.  You bought a meal ticket once, but it's valid every night, whether you choose to continue eating there or not.

Just now, razark said:

I'm in camp three.
( ZOMG! What the...?? Will KSP have a future?  We don't know what's happened, and quite frankly, it's not our business.  All we can do is wait and see what happens.)

The difference with the restaurant is that you're not buying dinner every night.  You bought a meal ticket once, but it's valid every night, whether you choose to continue eating there or not.

Well i am in camp 4

''These forums used to be a nice place. What happened? What, 8 people left? Oh no. I wish them well in the future. Excited for 1.2 and beyond. Things will be back to normal soon.  ''

Come over and join me there is plenty of space in camp 4.

5 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Careful, its all recorded on here...

Well, here's what I said on page 4, for all to see.

8 hours ago, Andem said:

Well duh, I am not a moron. I understand that ksp is the exception, it just seems odd that such a community focused game there would be more effort  to interact with the community. And I also think that you're being unnecessarily (and unfairly) harsh towards the community. Actually reading every post on the threads reveals that the vast majority of people don't actually believe that Squad  is mistreating the devs or that development is permanently stopping, but Squad has really done nothing but vague "damage control" and hasn't addressed what the community at large finds to be a more pressing issue, which would be the circumstances around the staff leaving and a clearer idea of the immediate future of the game. Now Squad isn't legally obligated to do this, but they've sure as hell built up that expectation over the past few months.

And I stand by it. People aren't out for @RoverDude's blood, and I certainly never sad anything to attack him.

49 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Guys guys,,,, 1.3 confirmed!!!!!!!!

Let's see if that will be a free update... (Even though it's likely, since expansions would have a different name)

Edited by Zaphod12

25 minutes ago, billbobjebkirk said:

Because almost all of the devs we knew of were gone.

Thing is... they didn't. There were still a number of devs we knew of. I mean, we knew the names of 7 people on the project IIRC, and that some more were working in the background. Many of the guys leaving were external contractors, or modders that were hired at some point.

Apparently it's even more workforce than I expected, to be honest. Squad got more staff now than it had in the beginning of this year.

Edited by Temeter

Huh, I'm not banned anymore? Weird.

On 06/10/2016 at 0:21 PM, RoverDude said:

I work reasonable hours.  I get reasonable, agreed to compensation for that time.  I have been doing dev a long time, not the first rodeo.  I find the management reasonable, and they have repeatedly expressed that we were not to work ridiculous hours or weekends, etc. and have been reasonable when adjusting priorities, offering additional time as needed and only dictating the order of the business needs.  i.e. rational, reasonable stuff that I would expect from an employer.

Wait a second. Are you saying that both 1.0 and 1.1 were entirely on developers, and not a result of decisions from management? That developers all by themselves just decided to work crazy OT and then leave a Niagara-style memory leaking release for two months? That developers just decided to impose deadlines on themselves and end the prerelease testing prematurely?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.