What Facts Do We Know About The Devs Leaving?

Mycroft

14 hours ago, J.Random said:

Huh, I'm not banned anymore? Weird.

Wait a second. Are you saying that both 1.0 and 1.1 were entirely on developers, and not a result of decisions from management? That developers all by themselves just decided to work crazy OT and then leave a Niagara-style memory leaking release for two months? That developers just decided to impose deadlines on themselves and end the prerelease testing prematurely?

Did you actually follow the development of KSP? Many versions had a bunch of big issues that had to be fixed afterwards. And 1.1 wasn't even that bad.

I have a funny feeling the 8 guys in question are watching this thread and others like it with no small amount of bemusement. 

I still think apologies are due to RoverDude though. He got pretty ugly treatment for trying to do the right thing. 

Most certainly apologies are due towards @RoverDude, as I have said before. I have also said that people have the right to inquire into whatever the heck they want, and SQUAD has the right to ignore them. So why are we still heatedly bickering over this?

4 minutes ago, monstah said:

I think it's dying already. Thankfully :) 

Yep, even reddit has calmed down and is a bit embarassed about itself. :>

Nestors comment did help alot, tho.

Edited by Temeter

1 hour ago, nestor said:

Fact: 1.3 is confirmed, there are already devs working on this new version

As happy as I am about ksp continuing to be developed, part of me is quite exhausted with the constant updates. That being said,  if 1.2 has a long life span,  my exhaustion wont be so bad. Obviously let's fix the game breaking bugs but let 1.2 go for about a year before releasing anything anything new. I think I can speak for the majority of the players when I say mods are what make this game truly special and most people don't like waiting for mods to be updated every 3-4 months. I'm also sure it has caused some talented developers to close up shop. It's been a constant game of catch up. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the work Squad does and how it has the players in mind when working on new features and bug fixes, I'm just saying it's exhausting :)  I know what I am saying here will probably fall on deaf ears and that's fine,  I just wanted to say this.  I feel better now. 

10 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

At least we got some new info and I can stop reading every post.

Lucky! I still need to watch for new facts/rumors. 

But yes if I'm honest, I believe that a break from the constant updates to KSP will be a relief.

21 minutes ago, Galileo said:

As happy as I am about ksp continuing to be developed, part of me is quite exhausted with the constant updates. That being said,  if 1.2 has a long life span,  my exhaustion wont be so bad. Obviously let's fix the game breaking bugs but let 1.2 go for about a year before releasing anything anything new. I think I can speak for the majority of the players when I say mods are what make this game truly special and most people don't like waiting for mods to be updated every 3-4 months. I'm also sure it has caused some talented developers to close up shop. It's been a constant game of catch up. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the work Squad does and how it has the players in mind when working on new features and bug fixes, I'm just saying it's exhausting :)  I know what I am saying here will probably fall on deaf ears and that's fine,  I just wanted to say this.  I feel better now. 

Aaaannd out of likes. ;.;:D 

13 hours ago, wired2thenet said:

Volition!  That was one of the companies I was trying to recall!  Disappeared without a trace, then the source code was leaked, leading to some awesome mods later on (for Freespace).  Man, I need to find that game again!

(Sorry, OT ... just got a squee of excitement thinking about Freespace again :D )

Hoo boi FSopen, MediaVPs... it's all coming back. I basically grew up on HLP since I lived in the middle of nowhere :P

27 minutes ago, HoloYolo said:

At least we got some new info and I can stop reading every post.

What am I missing?  Can't seem to find new info.   

Nevermind i I found it. This thread grew too fast. 

Edited by Basto

1 hour ago, Temeter said:

Thing is... they didn't. There were still a number of devs we knew of. I mean, we knew the names of 7 people on the project IIRC, and that some more were working in the background. Many of the guys leaving were external contractors, or modders that were hired at some point.

Apparently it's even more workforce than I expected, to be honest. Squad got more staff now than it had in the beginning of this year.

Perception is just as good as reality for the mob.

17 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Rumor: It was rumored that each had left at different times, they just announced it all at once.

It was put out as a press statement that Porkjet left several weeks ago.  So this is at least partially fact.

9 minutes ago, flatbear said:

.... but this corporate doublespeak does very little to assuage the community's legitimate concerns.

I think only time will do that.  Some will see and believe what they want, irrespective of evidence or common sense.

18 hours ago, Papa_Joe said:

" Fact: Enthusiasts do not tend to leave the development of something they are enthusiastic about mere weeks after joining it. "

This would be opinion.  While the likelihood is good that it could be fact, it is not in fact, fact. :)

Once goto work in a shop i loved since i was a kid, i was offered a different job 4 weeks later for 3 times the pay and i left like a bat out of hell.

also i take issue with your under standing of what a fact is, e.g.

"Fact: An anonymous person posted on Reddit, confirmed that the 8 developers..."

if they where anonymous they cant confirm anything because you dont know if they are a dev or a 13 year old fanboy with know knowlage. 

Aside from that who cares whats happening, thats the nature of buisness, my last place turned over 500 staff a year, they still delivered the same servace! 

19 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Trend: Enthusiasts do not tend to leave the development of something they are enthusiastic about mere weeks after joining it.

Hmmmm.  Wrong.  People have to pay bills.  Life happens.  Jobs get offered.  I can think of a thousand things which would cause an "enthusiast" to leave a project shortly after joining.

and, in this case, Sarbian was a short-term hire to fix bugs.

@RoverDude I have been astounded and offended by all the comments people have said to and about you.  On behalf of everyone who isn't saying, please accept the community's apologies for a few ignorant hotheads.  We all appreciate what you do.  And personally, as a developer myself, I totally agree with you!!!

11 hours ago, Andem said:

Well duh, I am not a moron. I understand that ksp is the exception, it just seems odd that such a community focused game there would be more effort  to interact with the community. And I also think that you're being unnecessarily (and unfairly) harsh towards the community. Actually reading every post on the threads reveals that the vast majority of people don't actually believe that Squad  is mistreating the devs or that development is permanently stopping, but Squad has really done nothing but vague "damage control" and hasn't addressed what the community at large finds to be a more pressing issue, which would be the circumstances around the staff leaving and a clearer idea of the immediate future of the game. Now Squad isn't legally obligated to do this, but they've sure as hell built up that expectation over the past few months.

Ksp hasent built up any exception, irratating fanboys have, the rest of us are happy with the beautifual game we have and the modding scene! But the fanboys are being arses to the devs, posting roumers and moaning. Immagine going to mcdonalds getting your burger then overhearing one of the kitchen workers quitting, but not hearing all of it, then shouting at the manager from in front of the counter. 

Thats what people are doing, and the rest of us are just getting politly served and looking at the ones shouting like they have had one to many krainial lithobraking episodes .....

and now im going back to finding more updated mods

Just now, Space Kadet said:

Ksp hasent built up any exception, irratating fanboys have, the rest of us are happy with the beautifual game we have and the modding scene! But the fanboys are being arses to the devs, posting roumers and moaning. Immagine going to mcdonalds getting your burger then overhearing one of the kitchen workers quitting, but not hearing all of it, then shouting at the manager from in front of the counter. 

Do you know how expectations work psychologically? Because I guarantee you that isn't it.

1 hour ago, csiler2 said:

Of course someone named Mycroft would be gathering facts and evidence. Do you have a Sherlock helping you?

Good work. I'm a fan of objective data gathering in the face of a heated topic.

First, thanks! Second, what? I actually picked my name as a result of SeaQuest, but I am dimly aware that my username had a more popular reference. Can you enlighten me?

53 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

Once goto work in a shop i loved since i was a kid, i was offered a different job 4 weeks later for 3 times the pay and i left like a bat out of hell.

also i take issue with your under standing of what a fact is, e.g.

"Fact: An anonymous person posted on Reddit, confirmed that the 8 developers..."

if they where anonymous they cant confirm anything because you dont know if they are a dev or a 13 year old fanboy with know knowlage. 

Aside from that who cares whats happening, thats the nature of buisness, my last place turned over 500 staff a year, they still delivered the same servace! 

First, I'll change the way I stated that trend. 

Second, about that guy. It turns out that he is the former employee who left under negative circumstances. I will add that. Thanks for pointing that out.

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hmmmm.  Wrong.  People have to pay bills.  Life happens.  Jobs get offered.  I can think of a thousand things which would cause an "enthusiast" to leave a project shortly after joining.

and, in this case, Sarbian was a short-term hire to fix bugs.

@RoverDude I have been astounded and offended by all the comments people have said to and about you.  On behalf of everyone who isn't saying, please accept the community's apologies for a few ignorant hotheads.  We all appreciate what you do.  And personally, as a developer myself, I totally agree with you!!!

First, as far as @RoverDude is concerned, I am 110% with you on that. Second, as I stated above, I will modify the OP to reflect this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.