What Facts Do We Know About The Devs Leaving?

Mycroft

Some of the things I have seen posted here about the recent departure of game devs is concerning... some think the devs quit... they may well have, but the message they posted on another site never said that... other comments are just as concerning.

No matter which way you look at it... this is hurting the game, its future and its good name.

Trying to combat it is a futile exercise..

So... I suggest Squad make a statement... ANYTHING.... than wait for this to die down... because I don't think it will.

I am tired of trying to defend the game I love .. and YES.... I feel I do need to defend it seeing some of the accusations made against it posted on these forums...

The same way I would defend a very close friend from nasty accusations....

We need this to stop, quickest way would be for Squad to say something... even though I think they don;t owe us a thing... someone has to end the speculation...

Squad?

Edited by kiwi1960

they made an official post on reddit, but it was mostly corporatespeak and not too much substantial

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/561euh/information_about_recent_events_at_squad_response/

"There has been some anonymous aggression towards Squad, spreading lies about the work conditions within the company.

First of all, it's important to note that we’re very proud of our work and our team. Everything we have achieved as a company is thanks to the people that have contributed throughout the many years that it has taken to develop KSP.

We constantly learn from experience, and year by year we have been improving all aspects within the company. It is a priority at Squad to provide our team members with more than reasonable working conditions, where extra hours are discouraged and have been discouraged continuously by the upper management, while the developers along with the rest of the team members state what’s possible to be done in a given timeframe.
Deadlines are continuously negotiated and adjusted based on the team's capacity to avoid crunch time. Furthermore, the salaries are personally and individually negotiated according to the industry standards of each country. Additionally, Squad has always been open to discuss any salary adjustments with each of the team members.

We are a company with a fantastic team and we won’t continue responding false and anonymous accusations of people who maliciously want to hurt our image and reputation.

We guarantee our fans and the community that KSP will continue and there will be many years of Kerbal to come. We have many plans and we’re excited about what’s coming next."

12 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

So... I suggest Squad make a statement... ANYTHING.... than wait for this to die down... because I don't think it will.

You do know that saying anything will just make it longer for it to die down right?

It's dying down, compare the activity in the "Theres no way to say it easily" a few days ago (several posts per minute) to now (several posts per hour/day).

29 minutes ago, flatbear said:

they made an official post on reddit, but it was mostly corporatespeak and not too much substantial

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/561euh/information_about_recent_events_at_squad_response/

"There has been some anonymous aggression towards Squad, spreading lies about the work conditions within the company.

First of all, it's important to note that we’re very proud of our work and our team. Everything we have achieved as a company is thanks to the people that have contributed throughout the many years that it has taken to develop KSP.

We constantly learn from experience, and year by year we have been improving all aspects within the company. It is a priority at Squad to provide our team members with more than reasonable working conditions, where extra hours are discouraged and have been discouraged continuously by the upper management, while the developers along with the rest of the team members state what’s possible to be done in a given timeframe.
Deadlines are continuously negotiated and adjusted based on the team's capacity to avoid crunch time. Furthermore, the salaries are personally and individually negotiated according to the industry standards of each country. Additionally, Squad has always been open to discuss any salary adjustments with each of the team members.

We are a company with a fantastic team and we won’t continue responding false and anonymous accusations of people who maliciously want to hurt our image and reputation.

We guarantee our fans and the community that KSP will continue and there will be many years of Kerbal to come. We have many plans and we’re excited about what’s coming next."

So..... why wasn't this posted HERE in the first place, and why have the mdoerators, all respect to them, allowed the situation to get so out of hand?

I know the concept of free speech... BUT... that isn't entirely true... its what I call "Freedom of speech with respect"... you can say what you like, provided you do not lie, or defame or post anything that can harm another person (or company in this case) and do you so by following the laws against defamation, slander and hate crimes....

Example.... I can say the devs concerned QUIT.... but I'd have to show proof that was the case because no where does it say they quit... further, I can claim I have freedom of speech, but no, I don't... its libel... against the devs who left Squad and Squad itself...

So.... Why the hell was this allowed to go on for so long and get so out of hand? Why didn't Squad post that HERE.... isn't this THEIR home as well?

Now I feel they have deserted us... they don't care about these forums... they tell strangers and not us??????

25 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

You do know that saying anything will just make it longer for it to die down right?

It's dying down, compare the activity in the "Theres no way to say it easily" a few days ago (several posts per minute) to now (several posts per hour/day).

Its not going to die down any time soon... just like the ones saying the game is dead has been going on for months now...

Sorry for the double post, I assumed (wrongly) that they would be merged. :(

2 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

So..... why wasn't this posted HERE in the first place, and why have the mdoerators, all respect to them, allowed the situation to get so out of hand?

I know the concept of free speech... BUT... that isn't entirely true... its what I call "Freedom of speech with respect"... you can say what you like, provided you do not lie, or defame or post anything that can harm another person (or company in this case) and do you so by following the laws against defamation, slander and hate crimes....

Example.... I can say the devs concerned QUIT.... but I'd have to show proof that was the case because no where does it say they quit... further, I can claim I have freedom of speech, but no, I don't... its libel... against the devs who left Squad and Squad itself...

So.... Why the hell was this allowed to go on for so long and get so out of hand? Why didn't Squad post that HERE.... isn't this THEIR home as well?

Now I feel they have deserted us... they don't care about these forums... they tell strangers and not us??????

I agree, we're all in the same boat here as ksp players though.  I personally prefer the ksp subreddit since its less censored and people are more openly skeptical of squad

20 hours ago, flatbear said:

I agree, we're all in the same boat here as ksp players though.  I personally prefer the ksp subreddit since its less censored and people are more openly skeptical of squad

I'm 56.... I know nothing of this young persons site called .... reddit!!!!! (but I have heard of it)

I'm too old to even start... or want to learning about it.

If not for you posting it here, I'd never have seen it. :(

I get the feeling Squad doesn't care about us... the loyal and faithful... they are more concerned about the heretics believing what they say... meaning... future customers... not us... the loyal and faithful who hunt bugs for them and generally help when we can.... they (sob!) don't care.... :(

Has the community heard from any of the developer that have left so far? I have seen a number of communications, but they tend to be by Squad or people that still work with Squad.

10 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

vs. 

You can't please everyone. 

Nothing works better to distract people than a good old fashioned riot :D

20 hours ago, Camacha said:

Has the community heard from any of the developer that have left so far? I have seen a number of communications, but they tend to be by Squad or people that still work with Squad.

Nothing works better to distract people than a good old fashioned riot :D

Really?

/runs to garden shed to start making virtual Molotov cocktails....

The developers maybe under contractual obligations to remain silent... either till 1.2 is released... or forever... but either way... they don't have an obligation to tell us anything... and i can respect that... Squad, however.... probably also doesn't have to say a thing... BUT... it would be in their best interests to do so... sooner rather than later (or never)

Edited by kiwi1960

6 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

The developers maybe under contractual obligations to remain silent... either till 1.2 is released... or forever... but either way...

The typical NDA or even rather restrictive NDAs do not usually limit positive comments on previous employers. Quite the contrary - positive comments are generally encouraged. Not having any response from anyone begs the question whether we are seeing an NDA canary here, where no news is bad news. Another option would be that the folks that left do not want to comment on the matter as not to hurt their future chances of employment, though that would not explain why we have not heard anything at all, except when those comments would be bad.

they don't have an obligation to tell us anything...

Just like we have no obligation to keep quiet and accept a currently one-sided story as being the full truth. Community support is a big part of what made KSP a success, so informing your community seems to be the prudent thing to do.

Edited by Camacha

1 hour ago, kiwi1960 said:

Some of the things I have seen posted here about the recent departure of game devs is concerning... some think the devs quit... they may well have, but the message they posted on another site never said that... other comments are just as concerning.

I am tired of trying to defend the game I love .. and YES.... I feel I do need to defend it seeing some of the accusations made against it posted on these forums...

Squad?

UomoCapra also addressed it yesterday in the KSPTV Twitch live stream. Everything is fine there & they are moving ahead with 1.3. They've already started on it before 1.2 is even out.

22 hours ago, Camacha said:

Just like we have no obligation to keep quiet and accept a currently one-sided story as being the full truth. Community support is a big part of what made KSP a success, so informing your community seems to be the prudent thing to do.

Really? you no obligation to keep quiet... you also have an obligation stick to that facts... all I have seen is 5% facts.. 95% speculation, assumptions and libel!

20 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Really? you no obligation to keep quiet... you also have an obligation stick to that facts... all I have seen is 5% facts.. 95% speculation, assumptions and libel!

Just because some people are louder doesn't negate the words of all who are talking...

20 hours ago, Andem said:

Just because some people are louder doesn't negate the words of all who are talking...

Who said louder? I'd just prefer less assumptions and conspiracies... facts are always preferred.

As far as I go, you are entitled to your opinion, welcome to it... but is it based on fact or fiction?

31 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Let’s be more polite, please. Just as he is not obligated to respond, neither are you.

20 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Let’s be more polite, please. Just as he is not obligated to respond, neither are you.

Wasn't being nasty.... honest, just tired of the whole thing to be honest.

angry tired.....

Just now, kiwi1960 said:

Wasn't being nasty.... honest, just tired of the whole thing to be honest.

angry tired.....

Ok, cool. You don’t need to visit this thread if you are tired of hearing about this. I sympathize greatly with how tired you are of this dead horse being beaten again and again, but it’s harder for me to just walk away from a thread I started. Just please try to retain some tact. I know how hard it is. Tact is actually a personal hardship for me. I struggle greatly to have any at all. So I sympathize with you, I just think that the more civil everyone is, the more quickly this will be over, and the sooner SQUAD will feel its safe enough to perhaps help us understand some things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.