[Conceptual Project] Full idea and models for space station functionality

NovaSilisko

Over the course of the past few days and hours, I have thought up a more-or-less complete plan for space station construction and operation.

Construction

The main point of this idea is that in order to assemble a space station, first you must get at least two parts into orbit, in roughly the same vicinity (an error radius of 10 km perhaps) Once there, the parts can be assembled together in what is effectively an orbital VAB. After addition of the new part to the core module (any module can be specified as a core), it will link to the core and assume it\'s orbital velocity.

Alternatively, you would fly up to the initial core stage with a new piece in your cargo bay. After docking, then the assembly window could be brought up and you could add any parts that were in the cargo bay onto the station.

Advantages:

• [li]Easier construction[/li]
    [li]No need for 'space tugs' to push things around and have the danger of destroying the station[/li]
    [li]Idea approved by HarvesteR![/li]

Disadvantages:

• [li]May be seen as too easy[/li]

Manual construction (without an assembly screen) could be a difficulty option.

Modules

spacestation.png

Living Quarters

• [li]Each module adds 2 to the max crew the station can support[/li]

Storage Unit

• [li]General storage. Reduces the amount of resupply missions needed per full unit.[/li]

Experiment Rack

• [li]Customizable with different types of experiments. Can be mounted on the side of any module except solar panels[/li]

Utility Module

• [li]The only thing that solar panels and radiators can be mounted to.[/li]

Solar Panel

• [li]Self explanatory[/li]

Radiator

• [li]Removes excess heat by radiating it into space[/li]

Girder

• [li]Basic structural piece[/li]

Docking Port

• [li]Ships attach to these points, but need a specific docking port incorporated into them to be able to attach.[/li]

Airlock

• [li]Without at least one airlock, EVAs cannot be performed from the station.[/li]

Cupola

• [li]Nice view.[/li]

Operations

There are three main variables that need to be accounted for: Heat, Power, and Crew. Heat is generated by all components that use power, such as science equipment and life support. Heat can be dissipated through the use of Radiators mounted onto a Utility Module.

Power can be generated through the use of reactors (very heavy but long lasting) or solar panels (lightweight but fragile).

Crew is, obviously, the Kerbonauts that are occupying the station. Certain operations require them to be on board, but not all. Things such as attitude adjustment and orbit boosting does not require a crew, however, assembly, EVAs, and many other tasks require a crew - making it a good idea to keep a presence in the station at most times.

Overheating stations have a raised chance for equipment failure, and greatly reduce the health of the crew. Underpowered stations will likely freeze, and equipment will not function.

Another minor factor is trash production. Cargo craft can be sent up and filled with rubbish, then sent back into the atmosphere to harmlessly disintegrate. If it\'s not taken care of however, it will start to affect the crew of the station.

Further work

There still is some refinement to be done - how close to modules need to be for assembly, how easily broken should they be. Maintenance could require EVAs or not. It\'s a balance between realism in gameplay for most aspects.

New, Nov. 10: Wet Workshops

I recently discussed the idea of Wet Workshops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_workshop) with HarvesteR. The basic idea is that you\'ll be able to specify any top-of-stack fuel tank as a wet workshop, increasing its full and empty weight and cost by a bit. Once it\'s in orbit, it can form the core of a space station, or be docked to one if it has a docking port.

Wet workshop concept using Componant Space Shuttle parts: http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/333/ss20111109202015.png

Addendum

I aspire to be the first person to build a space station orbiting the Mun. Don\'t try and stop me.

I shall be the first one to construct a rotating wheel space station. Docking is going to be hard.

Just put the docking ports on the hub of the wheel, and match your spacecraft's rotation to the rotation of the wheel itself.

Just put the docking ports on the hub of the wheel, and match your spacecraft's rotation to the rotation of the wheel itself.

o/` Baaaaaaa daaaaaaaa... bump, ba-dump, ba-daaaaaaaaaa, bada da, ba-da, ba-daaaaaaa... o/`

It's harder than it looks. There's a rotating wheel space station in Orbiter that you can dock with. It took me about 50 tries to dock with it the first time. I can only imagine what it must be like with collision between ships. I imagine it results in lots of Fun.

Maybe re use some parts for the space station, like they were thinking about for the current ISS. Like the shuttle fuel tank, converted to crew quarters etc. String a few together and you get a lot of volume to work with.

Maybe re use some parts for the space station, like they were thinking about for the current ISS. Like the shuttle fuel tank, converted to crew quarters etc. String a few together and you get a lot of volume to work with.

Perhaps a form of research to make 'adaptable' (name subject to change) versions of parts? An adaptable fuel tank would be designed to be pressurised with less leaks than a normal one, for example.

It's harder than it looks. There's a rotating wheel space station in Orbiter that you can dock with. It took me about 50 tries to dock with it the first time. I can only imagine what it must be like with collision between ships. I imagine it results in lots of Fun.

all you have to do is make the docking station free floating so that while the station rotates the docking hub is actually stationary.. once the ships connected and docked it begins spinning with the station to create the artificial gravity..

I love the idea, but I was thinking:

For the trash and sewage and whatnot the crew produces, have a rack of 8 or 16 or maybe even 32 'Trash-Rockets' that have the singular purpose of launching once they are filled. Its basically a small booster duct-taped to a small cargo hold without a nose cone, so it dissipates in the atmosphere upon entry. When full, its jettisoned from the station to prevent exhaust damage, and once its ~100 meters from the station, it points itself towards Kerbin (Kearth), and thrusts away. Can buy you time on the ground as your constructing the next rocket.

Just my thoughts.

;P

I love the idea, but I was thinking:

For the trash and sewage and whatnot the crew produces, have a rack of 8 or 16 or maybe even 32 'Trash-Rockets' that have the singular purpose of launching once they are filled. Its basically a small booster Estes Rocket duct-taped to a small cargo hold Hefty Garbage Bag without a nose cone, so it dissipates in the atmosphere upon entry. When full, its jettisoned from the station to prevent exhaust damage, and once its ~100 meters from the station, it points itself towards Kerbin (Kearth), and thrusts away. Can buy you time on the ground as your constructing the next rocket.

Just my thoughts.

;P

FTFY ;D

FTFY ;D

I' don't know...

This idea is something Jeb would think of. The hefty garbage bag is about right, but I don't think an Estes rocket is quite explosive enough...

I'm thinking more of a Sunday Punch large booster is more of Jeb's style. One for each garbage bag. And they all fire at once, while your ship is coming in for docking! 8)

So, how about engine and fuel modules for orbital adjustments? Or would such adjustments be done magically, as pitch/yaw/roll controls currently are?

I'm still thinking how that would be done to make it make sense. If you have asymmetrical boosters it would look weird if it went straight up, and be infuriating if it was fully physics based...

I would find getting two parts in orbit near each other...pretty hard.

I think we should just release a single part, indicate it as our space station, and have an autopilot feature that maneuvers the space vehicle into orbit near the space station.

I mean, every orbit I've gotten into is highly elliptical...

After we dock into the space station, I think we should have an assembly area, much like the VAB, but I'm pretty sure that's already been said. I also think there should be fuel pods you can attach, to make fueling missions to...say, Mars, easier, without having to lug up every bit of fuel from Kearth's ground, in a single ship.

I think there should be limited parts in the space station editor, with space station parts bought in the VAB, brought up to the space station, and becoming available in the space station editor then.

I would find getting two parts in orbit near each other...pretty hard.

I think we should just release a single part, indicate it as our space station, and have an autopilot feature that maneuvers the space vehicle into orbit near the space station.

I mean, every orbit I've gotten into is highly elliptical...

After we dock into the space station, I think we should have an assembly area, much like the VAB, but I'm pretty sure that's already been said. I also think there should be fuel pods you can attach, to make fueling missions to...say, Mars, easier, without having to lug up every bit of fuel from Kearth's ground, in a single ship.

I think there should be limited parts in the space station editor, with space station parts bought in the VAB, brought up to the space station, and becoming available in the space station editor then.

An autopilot is planned. That's what I had in mind for getting pieces near eachother.

Here's my take on a space station. The structure illustrated by the OP is laid out in a reasonable manner and seems to be assembled with a large degree of common-sense and know-how...which is why it can't work. Part of what would makes this game so satisfying is that we're working with 'Dent & Ding' goods, the stuff that was tossed away by people smart enough to realize how insane it would be to even try using it. We then take this broken stuff and use it to build things considered crazy and dangerous even with the best technology--and even occasionally succeed!

For a space station to work, it has to have the Junkyard Wars mindset. Spent 2 and 3m stages make great labs, hallways, and storage space. Need crew quarters? A whole bunch of broken command modules duct taped together would be adequate. And if you can't seem to find something, 'find' something. What's easier than using stuff already up there? Nobody's going to miss one solar array or comms dish. That satellite was only working at half-capacity, and those people in Kafrica needed to take a break from all that TV, anyway. Backups were created to help the needy! 8)

Edit: Point of reference