[Conceptual Project] Full idea and models for space station functionality

NovaSilisko

Here's my take on a space station. The structure illustrated by the OP is laid out in a reasonable manner and seems to be assembled with a large degree of common-sense and know-how...which is why it can't work. Part of what would makes this game so satisfying is that we're working with 'Dent & Ding' goods, the stuff that was tossed away by people smart enough to realize how insane it would be to even try using it. We then take this broken stuff and use it to build things considered crazy and dangerous even with the best technology--and even occasionally succeed!

For a space station to work, it has to have the Junkyard Wars mindset. Spent 2 and 3m stages make great labs, hallways, and storage space. Need crew quarters? A whole bunch of broken command modules duct taped together would be adequate. And if you can't seem to find something, 'find' something. What's easier than using stuff already up there? Nobody's going to miss one solar array or comms dish. That satellite was only working at half-capacity, and those people in Kafrica needed to take a break from all that TV, anyway. Backups were created to help the needy! 8)

Edit: Point of reference

Well you're just looking at the untextured version.

Once I make some textures, it's going to be made of basic sheet metal, foam insulation, and general leftovers. A lot can be done with textures!

For manoeuvring, I imagine that the pilot selects an engine or group of engines and controls them with the throttle, like with a normal spacecraft. There should also be an autopilot module that, given a task containing a target altitude, orbit roundness, roll, and whatever other positioning requirements you may come up with, will use the engines you give it as it sees fit to achieve that target.

Also, I imagine that in multiplayer (which I believe is necessary to KSP's commercial success) space stations will need shield modules that stop debris or craft not belonging to the owner (or owner-specified 'guests') from entering the bubble. Otherwise stations would need constant repair due to space debris and griefers.

Well you're just looking at the untextured version.

Once I make some textures, it's going to be made of basic sheet metal, foam insulation, and general leftovers. A lot can be done with textures!

I have my doubts. It's way too straight and rational. If I blast off and find the clean design wobbling like jello, then I'll be a believer.

Despite all the comedic value my ducttaped waste water rocket had, I will get serious: 8)

I think for turning the station, you'd need to have an RCS module somewhere on it.

Or, to make use of the Utility Node/Module, be able to tape 2 fuel tanks and a small nozzle on each side, saying the Utility Module has 4 sides, you can place 4 nozzles.

I guess the most 'useful' place for this module would be on the main part of the station, along the main girder or something, if it was out on a side arm of the station, you wouldn't really achieve what you want to, although with the main arm being horizontal and the side arm vertical, you'd need an RCS here and there anyway to allow for Horizontal AND Vertical Roll, although Horizontal Roll is Vertical Yaw and Vertical Roll and Horizontal Yaw.

Btw, my mind is burning from the last 2 sentences. ???

Needs a development/research tree. Should start with stations like sky lab, then unlock new parts or abilities on older parts (Like a modular design tech that lets you begin connecting things) and you end up with flying trashcans similar to Mir, then ISS, and onwards to future tech, things that are just concepts atm.

Could have them increase your funding, due to companies/agencies wanting to use your station for research. Or even your research speed into certain things.

For a space station to work, it has to have the Junkyard Wars mindset. Spent 2 and 3m stages make great labs, hallways, and storage space.

Actually, you don't even need the Junkyard Wars mindset for this. Werner von Braun himself came up with this idea in the early sixties--see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_workshop

Despite all the comedic value my ducttaped waste water rocket had, I will get serious: 8)

Not all that farfetched. The ISS (and Mir before it) use Progress supply ships to dispose of garbage and sewage and such, after they've had their supplies removed. Since Progress is basically a Soyuz without thermal protection (or its own full life support system), once it undocks and deorbits, it breaks up and incinerates on entry, just as you'd suggested. The idea's entirely plausible for a Jeb-ified version. You'd not be able to use an actual Hefty bag, since that wouldn't hold pressure for loading, but beyond that... a pressure vessel 'hold,' a basic RCS (with radio controls for docking), a mini fuel tank, and a mini engine. Boom, instant space station supply ship and garbage barge!

I think for turning the station, you'd need to have an RCS module somewhere on it.

Or, to make use of the Utility Node/Module, be able to tape 2 fuel tanks and a small nozzle on each side, saying the Utility Module has 4 sides, you can place 4 nozzles.

I guess the most 'useful' place for this module would be on the main part of the station, along the main girder or something, if it was out on a side arm of the station, you wouldn't really achieve what you want to, although with the main arm being horizontal and the side arm vertical, you'd need an RCS here and there anyway to allow for Horizontal AND Vertical Roll, although Horizontal Roll is Vertical Yaw and Vertical Roll and Horizontal Yaw.

Btw, my mind is burning from the last 2 sentences. ???

Honestly, with a space station, you've got enough mass up there that it might be simpler to just use reaction wheels, like the Hubble does. Obviously, you'd need to be careful in construction so that you'd keep the reaction wheel module pretty much at the center of mass, or be able to reposition it during construction, but it'd simplify rotational control of the station. Translational control could probably be safely limited to some sort of thruster that fires in a fixed direction, or with thrust vectoring at most, to provide periodic boosts to the orbit to deal with decay due to orbital drag, and to conduct small delta-vee/plane shift maneuvers for debris avoidance. Remember, space stations don't need to maneuver nearly as much as the craft that serve them. Indeed, I could easily see Jeb just saying, 'Khell with it, I'm just gonna set it spinning and let that keep it stable; if it needs a boost, I can dock a rocket to it. And I'll just put some armor plating on for debris!' :D

I want to be able to put normal thrusters on my space stations as well as precision jets so that I can build a station in orbit around kerbin and then launch it to whatever other planets we have later in the game, on the principal of Space Station + FTL engine = Mothership.

The main point of this idea is that in order to assemble a space station, first you must get at least two parts into orbit, in roughly the same vicinity (an error radius of 10 km perhaps) Once there, the parts can be assembled together in what is effectively an orbital VAB. After addition of the new part to the core module (any module can be specified as a core), it will link to the core and assume it's orbital velocity.

Alternatively, you would fly up to the initial core stage with a new piece in your cargo bay. After docking, then the assembly window could be brought up and you could add any parts that were in the cargo bay onto the station.

Its early days yet, the idea of making a space station sounds like a mid-game, late-game challenge, and by then computers would of been researched from the tech tree (assuming thats a technology to be researched). You would prepare to send the component up, how I envisage that would be:

Design several space crafts of varying size and fuel types that can carry different sizes/weight of cargo (useful if you are economising on power required)

Go to Space Station contruction window

Design final layout of space station and click next

Design view turns into a list of components required, and their costs, also it would say what pre-requisite modules (i.e components that need to go up first)

Click approve

A space station icon appears somewhere on the UI. If you click on it it says which modules haven't been sent up (all components that are not prerequisite are greyed out for the time being)

Click on the module that you want sending up -> then select the ship design you want it sent up in (only designs with enough fuel to get to destination are selected)

You are the cost breakdown -> Click approve -> The payload will launch automatically when a weather/orbit window allows the craft to rendevous with the space station

Man this is a great idea!, i was thinking about a space station a week ago, in making some sort of Skylab like kind of station, like a big and heavy satellite to plug in, and shoot with a big rocket and put it into orbit. i guess that can be my next one, if you dont mind of course. i leave you alone with this big station that is looking so damn good.

cheers! :)

TOTALLY ON BOARD WITH OPERATION SPACE STATION! :D

Hey, that rhymes! It does that from time to time. :P

I did it again! That happens, too, every now and then! ;P

KSP rocks, can't you see? I'm so glat it's currently free! 8)

Roses are red, External tanks are orange... ???

Dangit! Nothing rhymes with orange! :-[

Well, that's done, nothing more to do. I want a space station, now don't you?

OMG AGAIN?!?!?!?!?!? ;P

(The only rhyme I didn't plan on making was operation space station. And I intentionally used the one word I know of that doesn't have a known rhyme. Don't judge me! >:()

Moral of this story:

1.) I like the idea of a space station or other similar concepts (i.e. a moon orbiting Kearth)

2.) I have too much time on my hands

That's a nice thing for you to say. I have a rather... shall we say, 'unusual' sense of humor. And too much time on my hands. By the way, I meant to say, that's a pretty cool avatar you got there. First animated one I've seen.

(Replying to first post)

DO IT. MAKE THIS GAME AWESOME.

My 2 cents on orbiting stations is that the payload should be at least 250 km or more into space in order to keep a position/ velocity.

Another idea is to have inflatable modules. As well as trusses so more pieces and modules can be attached to one piece.

Also: Once your spacecraft is attached to the space station. You should then be able to control the space station. There needs to be more button functions for these kinds of tasks. The game is evolving. So should the control schemes of how things work.

I should animate my avatar now too! With the space station idea, I love it. I think that they should make it so we can log into our accs and go around our space stations and chat and stuff. We can build them and stuff and show each other. And we can upgrade the current ship! or, we can make it a research place with all these kerbal scientists, and bring them a payload of rocket parts! LOL there are limitless ideas! Man, these space station ideas are like jell-o! There's always room for more!

I should animate my avatar now too! With the space station idea, I love it. I think that they should make it so we can log into our accs and go around our space stations and chat and stuff. We can build them and stuff and show each other. And we can upgrade the current ship! or, we can make it a research place with all these kerbal scientists, and bring them a payload of rocket parts! LOL there are limitless ideas! Man, these space station ideas are like jell-o! There's always room for more!

Ummmmhhhhmmm.......[cough]

Weeelll......[cough]