In the 3.75m category, we have: various fuel tanks, 2 engines, a few adapters, and.....

Nothing else. 

It seems strange to me that with these fuel tanks and engines, there isn't anything to go with that. If I'm building a big 3.75m lifter, having a 2.5m probe core with a 3.75m fairing base looks stupid in my opinion. Why don't we have a 3.75m probe core? It seems to me like a very obvious addition that Squad somehow missed. To go along with that, why not a 3.75m crew capsule?

It just seems to me that Squad missed out some really "obvious" additions. I understand that these parts were meant to replicate the SLS with its "the bottom part is wider than the top part" approach, but the 3.75m parts can be used in so many more ways than just that. 

So what do you think? Yes or no? :) 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

The 3.75m parts were created by a guy who wasn't even meant to create them. They were done quickly, because there was a need for them and no one who could do it nicely was around at that time.

BUT now PorkJet is in the team. He's probably working like a madman to bring us some much-needed quality content. And he's been doing well so far. Just wait and you shall receive.

Edited by Veeltch

11 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

The 3.75m parts were created by a guy who wasn't even meant to create them. They were done quickly, because there was a need for them and no one who could do it nicely was around at that time.

BUT now PorkJet is in the team. He's probably working like a madman to bring us some much-needed quality content. And he's been doing well so far. Just wait and you shall receive.

Hemh, porkjet left some days ago...

Ok don't turn the thread into that. Roverdude is good at making parts and i'm sure someone will be brought in to replace Porkjet.

Hopefully this rocket overhaul still goes ahead, though whether or not it will be in the same style is debatable. When the plane parts were redone, we got a ton of new ones in the process. So i'm guessing new rocket parts will be added when the old ones are redone.

11 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Ok don't turn the thread into that. Roverdude is good at making parts and i'm sure someone will be brought in to replace Porkjet.

Hopefully this rocket overhaul still goes ahead, though whether or not it will be in the same style is debatable. When the plane parts were redone, we got a ton of new ones in the process. So i'm guessing new rocket parts will be added when the old ones are redone.

I'm afraid they won't match the style though. Same exact thing happened a few times times in the past.

I think it's fine as it is. The 3.75m parts are more meant to be used as a booster, with an adapter to 2.5m upperstage with the cores etc. than a way to build everything in gigantic 3.75m.I think there is more a need for a 1.875m line (between 1.25 and 2.5m). It also doesn't have to be a 'full' line (with batteries, probes etc) but just some solid boosters, fuel-tanks and adapters. Also keep in mind that with the new 'bottomless' engine options, you can use almost any engine with any tank diameter.

36 minutes ago, Chris_2 said:

I think it's fine as it is. The 3.75m parts are more meant to be used as a booster, with an adapter to 2.5m upperstage with the cores etc. than a way to build everything in gigantic 3.75m.I think there is more a need for a 1.875m line (between 1.25 and 2.5m). It also doesn't have to be a 'full' line (with batteries, probes etc) but just some solid boosters, fuel-tanks and adapters. Also keep in mind that with the new 'bottomless' engine options, you can use almost any engine with any tank diameter.

I agree with the 1.875m part idea. Imo it would be the perfect rocket size and would also be just where shuttle SRBs should be. Would also allow 2 man crew capsules like gemini.

4 hours ago, ImmaStegosaurus! said:

SpaceY mods fill in necessary parts IMO.

^ This.

To anyone who hasn't tried out SpaceY, it's really worth a gander.  Not just because it's fun to actually use it, but also because it may very well help to set your expectations about "here's what I'd like to see in stock."  :)

The visual style (paint scheme, part design) is really nicely done, and fits perfectly with the stock 3.75m parts.

There are all kinds of goodies in there, but some of the specific ones that I think are relevant to this thread:

• 3.75m probe cores
  • Reaction wheels suitable for 3.75m... and, rather brilliantly, they're radially attachable (basically, you put a pair of 'em on, so they form a ring around your 3.75m tank instead of in-line, which really helps with the stiffness of big tall ships.  And they look great.)
  • Some nicer ways to transition between 3.75m and other sizes.  For example, there's a 2.5m engine which, if you put it on top of a 3.75m stack, makes a conical auto-shroud instead of a cylindrical one, so you don't need an adapter.

And of course it also has a bunch of big parts in 5m size, which is much of what SpaceY's really about, but I won't go into detail there since it's not what the OP's asking about.  :)

Notably absent from SpaceY is a 3.75m crew cabin or command pod, would really like to have that.  Nertea's Near Future Spacecraft has some nice stuff there, including a six-kerbal command pod that goes from 3.75m on the bottom to 2.5m on the top, and has a visual style that meshes well with the other stock command pods.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.