Transmitting science to MPL?

RX2000

So I'm a newb when it comes to the MPL & orbital stations (& maybe the game in general, heh.) But anyways, I understand that if you get science into a MPL it can be "processed" by scientists to turn it into more science basically. My question is, how can you get the science into the MPL? Obviously if its something that you can collect in space on the ship with the MPL, you can just send it right over.

But what if I put it somewhere that I have already collected all the science? Like in my current game, lets say I want to put an MPL in Munar orbit. I have already pretty much collected every EVA report, temp scan, pressure scan, etc etc from high & low munar orbit. So I cant really get any easy science to put in the MPL. Could I land on the planet with a lander & then transmit the science to the MPL? Or is the only way to get science into it to land & then takeoff & dock with the MPL & transfer all the data over?

Even an 'empty' (no science credit) report can still be analysed in a lab as long as that same report has not yet been analysed in the same location.

You can not transmit science to a lab, you have to physically get it there. Either transfer the reports on EVA or dock to the lab and review the data where it is stored.

Edited by Tex_NL

When performing the experiment, you select the "store" option. Then you dock the lander to the lab or "Take Data" via EVA, so that the experiment is stored somewhere in the vessel with the MPL. Then, you bring up the report again with "Review Data" and there you should have the button for transferring the report to the lab, even if it originally came from elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Even an 'empty' (no science credit) report can still be analysed in a lab as long as that same report has not yet been analysed in the same location.

Hmmm. Ok so I can get ALL the temp scans, crew reports, pressure data, EVA reports, etc etc etc from around the Mun again, & even though they show 0 science, if I put them in MPL & let the scientists do their thing, they will spit out usable science?

1 minute ago, RX2000 said:

Hmmm. Ok so I can get ALL the temp scans, crew reports, pressure data, EVA reports, etc etc etc from around the Mun again, & even though they show 0 science, if I put them in MPL & let the scientists do their thing, they will spit out usable science?

Yes. You can even carry a set of 'empty' reports from Mun to Minmus and/or Kerbin and analyse them again.

In theory you could even take a surface sample from the launchpad all the way to the surface of Eeloo and analyse it there. In most cases the further you take it from the source the better the results when analysing.

Edited by Tex_NL

25 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Yes. You can even carry a set of 'empty' reports from Mun to Minmus and/or Kerbin and analyse them again.

In theory you could even take a surface sample from the launchpad all the way to the surface of Eeloo and analyse it there. In most cases the further you take it from the source the better the results when analysing.

Ok so if I get all the experiments again from around the Mun, but then analyze it in Minmus orbit, it will give me more science than analyzing it in Munar orbit?

Just now, RX2000 said:

Ok so if I get all the experiments again from around the Mun, but then analyze it in Minmus orbit, it will give me more science than analyzing it in Munar orbit?

Yes. And if you do BOTH you get even more.

5 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Keep in mind; once you've unlocked the entire tech tree you can set up strategies at the administration complex to convert the excess :science: into :rep: and more important :funds:.

Awesome. Yea right now I'm actually running the one that converts rep to science. But I'm getting close to the end of the tree now. Well I mean Im down to where each one takes like 550 science to unlock, hence me looking around for ways to get more science that dont involve going to Duna. Although I'm sure I will eventually make it there too.

7 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

Awesome. Yea right now I'm actually running the one that converts rep to science. But I'm getting close to the end of the tree now. Well I mean Im down to where each one takes like 550 science to unlock, hence me looking around for ways to get more science that dont involve going to Duna. Although I'm sure I will eventually make it there too.

The various biomeds on the Mun and Minmus should have sufficient science to finish the tech tree unless your difficulty setting is at least Moderate(may even be possible on High, not sure), remember that some experiments can be repeated for each biome even in flight(Thermometer in 1.2?) or orbit(Gravioli detector for both high and low orbit, EVA report for low orbit), and all experiments can be repeated in each biome when landed(exception: atmospheric analysis experiment can only be run on planets with an atmosphere).  Some experiments can return science for multiple datasets in one biome(Gravioli, Science Jr, Goo, surface samples).

The science page on the Wiki has lots of useful information to help you maximize your science collection(like where the borders are between flying/flying high, orbit/high orbit, and the number of biomes on each body).

Finally, if you need just a few more points to get a specific science node, you can always deploy some experiments in the KSC(each section is it's own biome, and many of he buildings are as well if your vessel/kerbanaut is touching them)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.