[1.4.X] Colonists!

maculator

I really like the idea behind this mod and one of the scopes of what and why I build concerns colonization. I'd love to staff my biggest (or smallest) ships with kerbals of this kind, especially that soon I'm no longer going to play only Sandbox. :) Now let me poke your mind. @maculator

What color (if it was in your power to, or in your TextureReplacer config) would you have as default for colonists? Green, like the emphasis in the OP?

* Got here from a thread about a medics trait in which you were tagged.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness, I'd been thinking of doing this exact mod! :D

My thought for the skill tree was a little less... powerful... though. The idea being that they're less capable than any one Kerbal, thus ensuring you still care about sending a three-man pod to the moon (for that Pilot to land it, the Scientist to research it, and the Engineer to fix it, right?)... but can still be a slightly more versatile 'handyman' for rover work and, crucially, a cheaper source of personnel for life-support dependent bases: Simply rig up contracts that award them, tourist-style, and are satisfied by getting them to their destination!

0: Tourist with EVA and ability to 'work' for life support facilities (I'm not sure whether this is possible, but is probably worth checking with MKS and the like guys whether it's possible) - if you want them to be much use outside of a moonbase, you'll need to train 'em. :wink:
1: Vehicle control (sans SAS or other handy help): Basic controls for driving rovers, or piloting craft in a pinch, but you'll really want a pilot for the fiddly stuff.
2: Repair wheels: Now you can drive your Space Truck, it's time to maintain it. Articulated legs and the like remain the remit of Engineers; this is for the guy that needs to swap a tyre.
3: EVA Samples: You still need a Scientist if you want to maintain the kit in the back, but he can be trusted to dig 'em out.
4: Repair solar panels: Gettin' handy round the base.

If a multiplier could be granted to working in Life Support mod Greenhouses, that'd be even better - but that, again, depends on talking to the Life Support guys. :)
I wonder if UCS's homesickness rate can have a Colonist multiplier for willingness to stay around a long time? Colonists rapidly lose interest in going home would be... thematic. :wink:

Whatcha think?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@maculator I thought pilot levels affect SAS control availability? You can't limit that? Level 0 give you control and Level 1 (or higher) gives you basic SAS Attitude Hold. Or are pilots abilities hardcoded so you can't limit progression? (If so, I wonder if you can integrate a Probe Core-like command module into a kerbal for limiting SAS functions.)

Edited by StahnAileron

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

On 11/10/2016 at 2:28 AM, hraban said:

Please also add tourists who never learn anything and can not control a space ship. Experiments which touch them should be lost.

Edited by Errol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.