[1.2] Radar Altimeter - Toggle the altimeter to Radar mode (height above terrain/buildings)

JoePatrick1

15 minutes ago, DaniWesNL said:

Definitely gonna use this mod. 

Changed my keybinding to something else though as I use tilde for lights. Noticed the author posted a little guide how to do it, but I'm not sure if everybody understand it.

Open the folder RadarAltimeter and goto the folder Source. Open Radar.Altimeter.cs in Notepad++ or regular Notepad if you don't have ++.

Goto line 21 and change the BackQuote in KeyCode.BackQuote to anything that's in the URL below as Variables (1 page down on the page).

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/KeyCode.html

I changed it to KeyCode.Alpha0 for instance.

Glad you like it

I'm doing the custom key option now so people won't have to go to all this hassle.
Also wouldn't you need to recompile it so you would need more than just a text editor?

Just updated it now by default the backquote key (`) will toggle it but you can change this by opening the settings window by pressing '0' - this key can also be changed in the settings
I also changed the colour to a slightly lighter blue for more distinction between it and the default black

Edited by JoePatrick1

Just thought of this - the stock game makes a switch in the navball from surface velocity to orbital velocity as you ascend to orbit (and vice versa when you descend). Is there a way to key into that switch to automatically switch between radar and absolute altitude?  Or back-engineer its logic, and make the mod auto-switch at the same points?

Edited by fourfa

On 23/10/2016 at 11:44 PM, fourfa said:

Just thought of this - the stock game makes a switch in the navball from surface velocity to orbital velocity as you ascend to orbit (and vice versa when you descend). Is there a way to key into that switch to automatically switch between radar and absolute altitude?  Or back-engineer its logic, and make the mod auto-switch at the same points?

You can use this mod for that

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2016 at 3:08 PM, Beetlecat said:

Any means of not having the settings window pop open all the time?

Hey @JoePatrick1 -- looping back to this question, since I see some interest in Kerballoons in my future as well -- :wink: Any chance for a sticky on/off state for the settings window? It reappears at every scene change with a craft.

20 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Hey @JoePatrick1 -- looping back to this question, since I see some interest in Kerballoons in my future as well -- :wink: Any chance for a sticky on/off state for the settings window? It reappears at every scene change with a craft.

If I remember on friday I could do it (remind me)

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2017 at 7:52 PM, Beetlecat said:

I totally forgot to remind you last Friday, but how about *this* one? :wink:

Now updated. It's just uploaded and has to be approved but should be available in less than an hour - maybe even in the next few mins so just keep checking the download page here until you see the new file

On 2/11/2017 at 5:48 AM, JoePatrick1 said:

Now updated. It's just uploaded and has to be approved but should be available in less than an hour - maybe even in the next few mins so just keep checking the download page here until you see the new file

Cheers for this! A small, but useful tweak.

• 4 months later...

I'm using this (surprisingly working without recompile.) in 1.3 even though Kerbal engineer gives me the data, the big blue numbers are welcome. I realized awhile ago that KSP does indeed have a stock radar altimeter, in the cockpit. I wonder how difficult it would be to get this mod to flip the altimeter automatically when the cockpit altimeter starts to move (1000 m I believe.) Configs I can mess with , DLL's such as this however are another matter.

9 minutes ago, snkiz said:

I'm using this (surprisingly working without recompile.) in 1.3 even though Kerbal engineer gives me the data, the big blue numbers are welcome. I realized awhile ago that KSP does indeed have a stock radar altimeter, in the cockpit. I wonder how difficult it would be to get this mod to flip the altimeter automatically when the cockpit altimeter starts to move (1000 m I believe.) Configs I can mess with , DLL's such as this however are another matter.

That'd be an interesting sub-feature. Possibly disorienting, but I totally get the usefulness.

6 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

That'd be an interesting sub-feature. Possibly disorienting, but I totally get the usefulness.

Black numbers and blues numbers if your using this mood you know what they mean. No confusion.:P

• 9 months later...

'0' should not be the default button to open the settings - it could trigger an action group ...

And it would be great if the setting is stored inside a settings.cfg inside a PluginData folder ... btw where is it stored? Do I have to check the source code to find out this curious information?

Edited by Gordon Dry

Ooh. Thank you for pinging this topic -- I had forgotten to try this mod out on 1.4.2 yet. This is one of my favorite tiny quality of life mods. I imagine it may just need a recompile?

Gotta read up on how to do that...

13 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

An interesting little mod. Would anyone mind if I adopt this and get it going again?

I seriously doubt there'll be many objections. :wink:

Does this thing even have a license attached? @JoePatrick1 posted in Kerbaloons that development there may/may not continue as of this Summer. Sounds like this one would be subject to the same whims of fate.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.