Eve's explodium as fuel

Flamingo

Eve's sea are filled a substans known as explodium. It is most likely an equivalent to hydrogen peroxide, which can be used as rocket fuel. So i got this idea of making an engine that runs on explodium, which only exists on Eve. Hydrogen peroxide can both be used as rocket fuel or together with other fuels as an oxidizer, but since i haven not got the needed skills to model, code and texture a prop, i have only made a rocket engine. But the idea is that you land in Eve's ocean, and load the explodium into your plane, and then you fly with it until you are dry, then you reload again.

The engine:

xLx1erC.png

The fueltank (probably going to model this one a little more)

ewmGC4Q.png

And the "pump" that you use to get the explodium into your tanks: (I excuse for the  cursor, and the slow gif, it plays at the right speed on imgur, but not here :( )

JygyxFi.gif

They are all1.25m parts and Im imagining that the engine will run on a mix of liquid fuel and exploduim, While he pump will need electric charge to work. But is it even possible to have a resource that is evenly shared all over Eve, but only in the ocean?

Edited by Flamingo

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

Wow! Looks great!

Thanks a lot!!

20 minutes ago, Palaceviking said:

Oxidiser and explodium methinks or a nuclear answer?

The United States also used hydrogen peroxide in an experimental midget submarine, X-1. It was originally powered by a hydrogen peroxide/diesel engine and battery system until an explosion of her hydrogen peroxide supply on 20 May 1957. X-1 was later converted to a diesel-electric.

It has been used in submarines together diesel, im just going to use liquid fuel as diesel. And i know that a submarine engine isn't the same as a prop engine, but its KSP. But  for a rocket engine H2O2 can be used both as a monopropellant, and as a bipropellant.

If used as a monopropelant:

* The liquid hydrogen peroxide is fed with high pressure from a tank to a chamber filled with a decomposition catalyst. 
* The decomposition catalyst causes the hydrogen peroxide to decompose into water steam and oxygen. Heat is released by the reaction. The temperature of the formed gas mixture is about 650 oC. 
* After passing through the catalyst chamber the hot, high pressure gas mixture is released through a rocket nozzle. 
* The velocity of the gas flow after the nozzle becomes well over 1000 m/s and gives the rocket a considerable reaction force thrust.

If used as a bipropellant:

*The gas mixture after the decomposition of the hydrogen peroxide contains oxygen. The thrust force is increased if this oxygen is used to burn an organic fuel (liquid fuel), before it is released through the nozzle. 

This opens up for three different types of engines:

One with liquid fuel and explosium as a prop. (efficient, but not so powerfull)

One with liquid fuel and explosium as a rocket engine. (powerfull but not so efficient)

And one with explosium as the only propellant. (more power full than the prop, but less than the rocket, but can run on explosium only)

Edited by Flamingo

Nice idea! Me likes..

(In related news, explodium, in all its' many assorted guises, has a long history of use as rocket fuel. I highly recommend reading Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark. It's available in many places around the internets, and is both informative and laugh-out-loud funny.

9 hours ago, Palaceviking said:

Careful with game balance tho or it could ruin Eve's reputation :wink:

I am thinking very much about this, and i will try to make the engines only suitable for flight in Eve's atmosphere as a plane, and not as a rocket. Maybe the fuel will not be efficient enough to reach orbit, maybe it will be too heavy or something like that.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

Nice idea! Me likes..

(In related news, explodium, in all its' many assorted guises, has a long history of use as rocket fuel. I highly recommend reading Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark. It's available in many places around the internets, and is both informative and laugh-out-loud funny.

Thanks!

And thank you for the recommendation, it seems like a good book that i could definitely use to get some good inspiration.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.