Science fiction authors of the KSP forums, UNITE!

Spaceception

2 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Dr. Sandwich, PhD in SandwichtologyTM calls out NSEP for Time Explorers!

Oh yeah, that stuff! Im working on Time Explorers now, its going to be a Sci-Fi story. I can talk more about it here!

Here's the first chapter of something I wrote first in 2006 as a podcast, and again in 2010 as a book. Never finished the whole book, but I did complete the first of 4 stories that would eventually make the whole book, and have a complete first draft of the second story. It's essentially a Space Opera using realistic spaceflight (with future tech that allows for things we can't even hope for today).

I should really finish it. Some day.

[defunct site link removed by moderator]

I have a school break next week, i will put more time into Time Explorers then, i am currently working on my Universe.

Wait... Does my universe count? It is "Fictional Science". Really! It has physics and chemistry, but it is all fictional. Its Fi-Sci!

Edited by NSEP

I love to brainstorm about fictional worlds, but I have a hard time going from a world building, "history textbook"-type POV to a specific story centered around a couple characters.  

I did write this short story-ish thing today though, if you're interested:

[CLASSIFIED]: Possible encounter of alien species

To: Galactic Command

The following message was received at 14:37:24, 07.17.5096 from the HSS Serenity in orbit of Tora, Alrai System.

I wish I could be more descriptive, but the circumstances of our discovery requires that I be quick.

At approximately 13:45 Universal Time, during our scouting mission to the Sheratan System,  my crew alerted me to an unknown object that had appeared in orbit.  It had not appeared on any of our scanners when we dropped into orbit, and I immediately ordered for its trajectory to be tracked, and we continued along our scouting mission as planned.

It was around 14:05 when I was again called down to the tracking center, where the head officer rapidly informed me that the unidentified object was burning retrograde to attain a lower orbit, just above our altitude.  I went to the scope and zoomed in on the object, and I am not mistaken in what I saw.  It was a ship.  It was definitely an engineered, artificially-constructed spacecraft that looked nothing like our own.  There were no gravity rings, and it was very big, Reliant-class at least.  Our landing craft, which had just departed, were ordered to immediately return to the ship, and we warped back to the Alrai System.  

I have no doubt that this ship was from another civilization.  If my hypothesis is correct, then this would mark the first contact between spacefaring civilizations, although I would hardly call it contact myself.  I am unsure about the aliens’ motive, whether they were attempting to establish peaceful communication (no signal came through the network) or shooing us out of their territory.

I suggest that several Hydra missiles be sent to the Gilese System, the closest star to Sheratan, and be placed on high alert.  I also request the reinforcement of 2 Leviathan Occupation Ships.

I await your orders on how to proceed, and will provide more information as soon as possible.

• General Xavior Whit

Edited by FishInferno

Since this is the thread to put this in: I have ideas for more books that I want to write after the two I'm currently in progress with. Here they are:

Spoiler

Idea 1:

Title: ???

Plot: A crew of 6 fly the first untested mission of a commercial spacecraft to the Moon on a 30-day journey.

Length goal: 60k words

Will to do it: 8/10

Idea 2:

Title: MARS [Remastered]

Plot: A crew of 7 astronauts are on the first manned Mars landing mission by Space X. However, an unknown force on Mars has plagued almost every other manned mission to the planet, leaving them in disaster. Together with that and the evil force within the crew itself, will the mission survive?

Length goal: 95k words

Will to do it: 6/10

Idea 3:

Title: Operation Red Surface

Plot: A hyper-realistic book that takes place in the Orion Program. Operation Red Surface is the first manned mission to the surface of Mars. It tells the realistic journey from launch to recovery of a crew of 4 as they embark on mankind’s most ambitious journey yet.

Length goal: 80k words

Will to do it: 7/10

Idea 4:

Title: Apollo 11: A Story Perspective

Plot: Fly onboard with Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing. It’s a third person point of view of the whole Apollo 11 mission from launch to recovery.

Length goal: 100k words

Will to do it: 9/10

Idea 5:

Title: Friendship 7: A Story Perspective

Plot: Fly with John Glenn on America’s first manned mission into orbit. A third person view of the 6th Mercury Program mission from launch to recovery.

Length goal: 40k words

So which one do you guys think I should do after I finish Outpost?

Edit: I'm calling that one "Remastered" because I was writing it and then my flash-drive broke and I lost everything on it.

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

23 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Since this is the thread to put this in: I have ideas for more books that I want to write after the two I'm currently in progress with. Here they are:

Reveal hidden contents

Idea 1:

Plot: A crew of 6 fly the first untested mission of a commercial spacecraft to the Moon on a 30-day journey.

Idea 2:

Plot: A crew of 7 astronauts are on the first manned Mars landing mission by Space X. However, an unknown force on Mars has plagued almost every other manned mission to the planet, leaving them in disaster. Together with that and the evil force within the crew itself, will the mission survive?

Idea 3:

Plot: A hyper-realistic book that takes place in the Orion Program. Operation Red Surface is the first manned mission to the surface of Mars. It tells the realistic journey from launch to recovery of a crew of 4 as they embark on mankind’s most ambitious journey yet.

Idea 4:

Plot: Fly onboard with Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing. It’s a third person point of view of the whole Apollo 11 mission from launch to recovery.

Idea 5:

Plot: Fly with John Glenn on America’s first manned mission into orbit. A third person view of the 6th Mercury Program mission from launch to recovery.

Edit: I'm calling that one "Remastered" because I was writing it and then my flash-drive broke and I lost everything on it.

Operation Red Surface sounds interesting.

Chapter 1 of Time Explorers is out!

On 10/16/2016 at 0:53 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

Hide contents

Idea 1:

Idea 2:

Idea 3:

Idea 4:

Idea 5:

I like Operation Red Surface, and Apollo 11: a story perspective the best :)

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

I like Operation Red Surface, and Apollo 11: a story perspective the best :)

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

Operation Red Surface sounds interesting.

I like Idea 1, Operation Red Surface, and the Apollo 11 story the best, and apparently so do you, so I'll do those.

I start with Operation Red Surface, Idea 1, and then Apollo 11. I'm saving Apollo 11 for last due to its length.

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

I'm currently finishing off my first novel; my first writing under my own name after 20 years of supporting other authors. It's a S-F murder mystery set about 250 years in the future. I'd love to be able to offer excerpts as I have on my other fora but my writing is rather raw and includes sex, violence and harsh language which means linking to it is against forum rules. (shrug)

Edited by NorthernDevo

My first two novels, Perigee and Farside,  are set in near-future commercial spaceflight. Both were picked up by Baen Books earlier this year and you can find them here, in addition to the usual places (Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc). 

Currently I'm finishing the manuscript for Frozen Orbit. If I can drag it across the finish line before the holidays, it might just be available in bookstores this time next year. You can read the prologue at my blog. I'm pretty excited about this one, as it's the most science-fictiony thing I've written.

Onward Kerbonauts!

Here's a very short little story I wrote.

Spoiler

The Enigma

“What were you saying, Gordon?” asked Roklin.

“I was saying, before you interrupted me, that we shouldn't dismiss these...humans,” Gordon answered.

“And why is that?”

“Well, there are a few reasons. Their engineers are quite competent. Not to mention that they control the only known sources for a variety of substances. One of these is called 'duct tape.'”

“Oh! That's where it's from? I didn't know that....”

“It's also extremely common there.”

“What? It's priceless in this region of space!”

“That's because they control the only known source.”

“Oh, I see. There are other reasons...?”

“Yes. They're extremely resilient.”

“I wouldn't really say that. Their bodies are quite weak, even in their own biosphere. Any warrior race could go in and utterly destroy them.”

“They've tried. Many times. Each and every single time, they've failed. Perhaps these humans would make good allies...”

“That's preposterous! They're far behind technologically. They couldn't hold out against a single Querian, let alone an army of them.”

“Think about it like this: They inhabit a region of space surrounded by a dozen or so extremely aggressive and violent races. Not only are they surviving, they're thriving. Their technology isn't advanced, but it doesn't need to be. It only needs to work. And it most certainly does. Even the Carsian Empire no longer exists due to their capabilities.”

“Even we could never take down their empire!”

“Yes. And we're the most advanced society in this region. But this little upstart species has.”

“Oh my Qod...”

“They've taken over half of the Tarlan's territory. The Chirins lost nearly two thirds of their possessions. The Querians, too, have fought and lost to them. And, you know what's funny about all of this? The humans didn't start a single one of these conflicts. And yet, they've defeated their enemies at every turn. But, even beyond that, they're successfully integrating them into their society.”

“Are the humans a warrior species, like those around them?”

“No. Some of them believe that there is honor in warfare and killing. But, they don't let it get in the way of the chain of command.”

“Is that their secret?”

“I don't believe so. One might say they have a unique aptitude for war. But that wouldn't be accurate. We've fought wars, and won. The warrior races surrounding them fight wars all the time, but they're losing. Perhaps it has something to do with their experience regarding the subject.”

“I hear they have an ancient text speaking of the 'Art of War.' Maybe that's relevant.”

“That may be. Who knows?”

“Maybe the humans know.”

“Hah! You might just be right about that. We'll arrive at the planet they call 'Dirt' in a few of their days. Perhaps you can include that question in your preparations?”

“I might just do exactly that.”

I have an idea for a story, its not Sci-Fi though. It is Hi-Fi (Historical Fiction) or an Alternative Timeline history book. Hi-FiveInsert Seinfeld Theme here.

I might make short stories too.

I'm at 9 chapters in my book! That's 13 402 words or 72 920 characters.

EDIT: If you haven't heard of this, I'm not surprised. I haven't really talked about it yet here.

Second edit: 13 412, 72 968

Edited by Findthepin1

My first chapter of Anneland is done, yet not published. It has 1K words.

I did not really put that much research into the history of England in the late 10th century, but it is Historical-Fiction after all.

Time Explorers is not going that well, but i will continue/remaster it in the future.

I have another idea for a story that has been around with me since summer 2013, but it is not Sci-Fi neither.

I do have a Sci-Fi story that has also been around in my head since 2013, and i might write it after part 1 of Anneland is done.

In the future, children space colonists will all have strange senses of humor.  Some will laugh at particularly awkward light bulbs.  Others, having profoundly different formative experiences from their Terrestrial brethren, will have biting insight into things.  Comedy clubs will be dominated by the strange children of space and those seeking to capitalize on their awkwardness.

In rural Tennessee it will be generally acknowledged that people raised on the moon are easily frightened and have poor work ethics.

I have seen the future, and it is dumb!

Edited by Jonfliesgoats

I tend to write a mixture of sci-fi and fantasy. My main story series (which I've been working on for a few years on and off) is a sci-fi universe with added magic and gods, and lately I've also been doing a lot of worldbuilding for a fantasy world that has evolved to the point of advanced technology and space travel - but all done with magic rather than conventional science. Both are rather interesting situations that are very fun to think about.

Both work along the lines of a space opera, just with a supernatural element.

Edited by eloquentJane

might interest ya @Spaceception and anyone invested in sf writing so let's re-share this one (bis,ter;etc.)

colors, light hole, dark horizon, tie fighter perspective (and much more)

HVECBHC.png

center of the dart board, target aim bein the light knowledge from the past in the darth infinity of possible futures (i especially like this diagramm) wich is a nonsense in itself while not

in the tips series, many writers collaborate with some drawers/painter/sculptors/photo etc.&etc. to describe some scenes,caracters(etc.) from the "raw" materials (story board, rough script and etc. of that kind whatever the form)

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.