Science fiction authors of the KSP forums, UNITE!

Spaceception

I've been working on Kontakt on and off for about 6 months now, and the final chapter is due to come out within the next two days.

I also have NISSKEPCSIM's Career, which is an alternate history, ETS-inspired, history book/newspaper format mission reports series. The links to both of these stories are in my signature.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, ChrisSpace said:

I'm writing an anime fanfiction which will have lots of sci-fi elements later on (wormholes, lasers, battles in LEO, etc), so does that technically make me a sci-fi writer?

Ok, now able to quote, and yeah, that would count :D Are you doing the art yourself?

I'm currently writing a story I plan to post here, I've just started the second chapter but reading The Martian has really helped boost my progress, seems that my writing sorta resembles the book, but this is only my first attempt so who knows...

In case anyone is curious my story goes way beyond the Kerbol system.

29 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

I'm currently writing a story I plan to post here, I've just started the second chapter but reading The Martian has really helped boost my progress, seems that my writing sorta resembles the book, but this is only my first attempt so who knows...

Anything with Kerbals goes in the fan works section :) The sci-fi I'm talking about has to have people and or aliens.

54 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

But is it about Kerbals in general, or totally non-KSP? Either way is fine, but if it's still game-based, then @Spaceception is right, and I invite you to write it up in the fan-fiction section! There's always room for another good story!

On 8/12/2017 at 11:29 PM, ChrisSpace said:

I'm writing an anime fanfiction which will have lots of sci-fi elements later on (wormholes, lasers, battles in LEO, etc), so does that technically make me a sci-fi writer?

No "technically" about it... you're a sci-fi writer! :)

6 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

Sounds like fan works to me :)

The last few weeks I've been outlining and writing notes for a non-KSP idea I have... but I'm finding it really hard to concentrate on two stories at once without them getting "merged"... so to speak.

14 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

....but I guess writing fan fiction is a good way to start. 

YES!  If that's easier, than start there! That's what I did. I had no idea I'd be good at writing anything, but after 80 chapters doing fan-fiction, I think I've gotten the hang of it.

Truth is, it doesn't matter if it's fan-fiction or not, just start writing. And keep writing.... about anything, so long as you're writing about it, and refining your skills... :wink:

Edited by Just Jim

47 minutes ago, The Space Dino said:

Well I have rough ideas for a non-ksp science fiction but I guess writing fan fiction is a good way to start. Considering shortening it a bit to give me more time in the future for me to write something else, but I'll have to see.

Absolutely! Everyone needs to start somewhere and fan-fiction is a great way to start! Consider the old aphorism 'write what you know' - fan fiction is the very essence of that. :) More than that though - I don't see why anybody looks down on a starting out artist of any type for starting with other works that inspire them and using them as a springboard to develop their own style and talent.

Consider that weekend garage band for example.  It might well start as a bunch of friends thrashing out  covers of their favourite songs in their spare time. Sometimes that's all it ever is. But sometimes the covers get better. Sometimes they develop into something new, distinctive and even wonderful. And without those covers to start with, you can bet that you'd never get to hear the wonder.

Why should writing be any different?

And for anyone out there that says 'but it's just fan fiction' (which can hide a whole range of snide and unpleasant subtexts) I'd point them at this article. http://www.chrisbrecheen.com/2014/08/no-apologies-defense-of-why-speculative.html  Read it but mentally replace every instance of 'speculative fiction' with 'fan fiction' and Mr Brecheen makes the case more eloquently than I ever could.

Take pride in your fan fiction!  Enjoy it! And as @Just Jim said - learn from it too.

Edited by KSK

It's about learning the craft and finding your voice, figuring out what works and what doesn't. If fanfic gets you down that road then go for it.

"50 Shades" started out as Twilight fanfic, so anything's possible.

So who's writing what so I can update the OP?

@NSEP @The Raging SandwichI know at least you 2 have some stuff.

2 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

Well I have rough ideas for a non-ksp science fiction but I guess writing fan fiction is a good way to start. Considering shortening it a bit to give me more time in the future for me to write something else, but I'll have to see.

It's definitely a good place to start. :D

I`m kinda off and on writing a scifi thing (I can`t call it a book or novel yet, so its a "thing") Its basically about a crew who arrive at alpha centauri, and they`re struggling to find water (which is absolutely necessary), survive (obviously), and generally build a colony on a barren wasteland of a planet.

46 minutes ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

I`m kinda off and on writing a scifi thing (I can`t call it a book or novel yet, so its a "thing") Its basically about a crew who arrive at alpha centauri, and they`re struggling to find water (which is absolutely necessary), survive (obviously), and generally build a colony on a barren wasteland of a planet.

Cool! Alpha centauri, or Proxina centauri?

I have a good idea for a Sci-Fi and its about people encountering intelligent lifeforms in deep space for the first time. Thats the basic plot, im only 1% through the development but its an idea.

I remember watching the final space shuttle landing on TV, in my english class. Its one of my few memories when I was 8 (I just have poor memory *shrugs*) I also remember thinking to myself that this landing is an end of an era, and promptly got kinda sad to see it go,  i`m just glad to live when the space shuttle was still flying, and be able to watch a few launches on nasa TV (yes, we had that at my house). Anyways, that trailer was amazing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.