Science fiction authors of the KSP forums, UNITE!

Spaceception

3 hours ago, RoadRunnerAerospace said:

I remember watching the final space shuttle landing on TV, in my english class. Its one of my few memories when I was 8 (I just have poor memory *shrugs*) I also remember thinking to myself that this landing is an end of an era, and promptly got kinda sad to see it go,  i`m just glad to live when the space shuttle was still flying, and be able to watch a few launches on nasa TV (yes, we had that at my house). Anyways, that trailer was amazing.

Thanks!

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:09 PM, Just Jim said:

No "technically" about it... you're a sci-fi writer! :)

But it's 90% other stuff and also has some very unscientific elements (demons, telepathy, alternate realities, etc.) so...

23 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

...and also has some very unscientific elements (demons, telepathy, alternate realities, etc.) so...

So??? Have you read Emiko Station??? I have telepathic Krakens!!!  :rolleyes:

Seriously, I see no problems with things like telepathy or alternate realities in a good sci-fi story.... quite the opposite... IMO

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, ChrisSpace said:

But it's 90% other stuff and also has some very unscientific elements (demons, telepathy, alternate realities, etc.) so...

Ehh, it has sci-fi elements. At most it's Spec fiction, which I believe is a sub genre of sci-fi. 

Edited by Spaceception

On 8/21/2017 at 2:33 PM, Spaceception said:

Ehh, it has sci-fi elements. At most it's Spec fiction, which I believe is a sub genre of sci-fi. 

I always thought it was the other way around, speculative fiction being kind of an umbrella term for sci-fi, fantasy, horror, superhero fiction etc.

I could be wrong though.

10 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Wait do I classify as a sci-fy writer? (Probably not)

Interesting question. Technically yes, since your stories are about wars between factions of an alien species. However, from what I've read, your stories tend to be more about the wars than the aliens.

I wouldn't get hung up on pigeonholing yourself. You're a writer - that's the most important part! :) 

7 hours ago, KSK said:

Interesting question. Technically yes, since your stories are about wars between factions of an alien species. However, from what I've read, your stories tend to be more about the wars than the aliens.

I wouldn't get hung up on pigeonholing yourself. You're a writer - that's the most important part! :) 

True.. After I finish The Final Stand, I'm thinking about doing a couple one-offs like Life At The TopThe Legend of Luke Kerman, and maybe finishing up Kross Kountry if it isn't closed by a mod in that time. After that, I'm taking a long (And IMO Well-deserved) nap, before working on who-knows-what. By then I'm probably going to be like 20 and in college XD 

• 1 month later...

So hai

I'm 16 and three-quarters of the way to finishing a (hopefully original/decent sounding) sci-fi novel. About nanotechnology/aliens.

Anyone have any tips/thoughts about writing at an admittedly inconvenient age, especially when trying to get published? :P

I'm currently 3/4ths done writing the first chapter of Flashpoint, a novella chronicling the rise of Macey Dean's Spiritwolf and Hanland corporations, along with the origin of their conflict.

I'm planning on a final length of 25-30k words for the book, and I'm also hoping to publish it on Createspace when it's done. (It'll also be readable for free on Wattpad.)

The first chapter should be done by tomorrow. I hope to reveal it then. :)

Spoiler

My other story project is also nearly done. However, I've been battling my ADD (Attention deficit disorder) over it. I've just lost interest, for the last few months I've tried to keep on going, sometimes halfheartedly at best. I'll try to finish the last chapter or two, though.

Did I also mention its over 75 thousand words long? Meaning it qualified as a novel. Though I'm not sure it deserves the title; looking back, the plot is incredibly shallow, the characters are flat, and the writing style varies with each chapter due to my continually changing methods. So I don't really have much hope for it.

13 hours ago, daniel l. said:

My other story project is also nearly done. However, I've been battling my ADD (Attention deficit disorder) over it. I've just lost interest, for the last few months I've tried to keep on going, sometimes halfheartedly at best. I'll try to finish the last chapter or two, though.

I have that problem too :/ I find that music helps with the actual motivation/writing, though. So, epic music for epic parts, sad music for sad parts, etc. It makes the process more engaging and emotional somehow.

Another thing that improves motivation (at least for me) is world building and planning out things. Just sitting down and writing stats and elaborating on the world and the characters - even if they're details that won't pop up in the book itself - helps a ton in terms of motivation, and it also solidifies the concept and plot more.

So don't 'improvise.' Make separate documents with planning and world building and personality profiles for characters, and once you have that, make a plot using those elements.

And then write :)

I proudly reveal my longest single work. Not a series of chapters, but a single one. 8k words. Compiled into a PDF. :)

WARNING: Lots of violence and explicit descriptions of gore. There is also a good bit of political opinion expressed in this story. Spoiler Below:

Spoiler

The villains of this chapter are a far-right terrorist group that rises sometime after 2020. If you are in any way offended by this, then please don't read it.

NOTE: The terrorists are not meant to represent the right-wing, only a fictionalized version of its more extreme aspects.

Spiritwolf: Part I - Hanland.

[snip]

And for those who don't care for formatting: Wattpad Link (I could use an artist for the cover work, :P)

Paging @Spaceception :) Wanna give it a read?

4 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Guess...

Well... I'm not quite sure which one I'd prefer. I don't have a bank account as yet, unfortunately, so I have no place to keep the money. Though I would welcome any volunteer artists.

However, I'm pretty decent with programs like Gimp and Photoshop, so my inability to make the cover myself is more of an ideas thing. I have no idea what I want it to look like.

4 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Well... I'm not quite sure which one I'd prefer. I don't have a bank account as yet, unfortunately, so I have no place to keep the money. Though I would welcome any volunteer artists.

However, I'm pretty decent with programs like Gimp and Photoshop, so my inability to make the cover myself is more of an ideas thing. I have no idea what I want it to look like.

I can work on it for free if you like. I was just pulling your leg about money. PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.