Science fiction authors of the KSP forums, UNITE!

Spaceception

6 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

No matter which side you are for or against, and yes, even in fictional form, bringing up politics on this forum never ends well. The link to your story has been removed, @daniel l.. Please leave that sort of content for other places on the internet. 

Very well.

Though I find it hard to not imagine politics of one form or another as being a motivation for a villain. Any villain or villain-group that seeks power over a nation, must have a political or religious ambition. If they didn't, then why would they want to take power in the first place?

Greed? Greed could be associated with capitalism.

A belief in universal fairness despite an unfair reality? That could be associated with communism.

A will to enforce the restrictions of their faith or lack thereof upon an unwilling population? That would qualify as religious extremism.

No matter what motivation you give a villain, as long as they seek power over a nation as the villains of my story do, it isn't possible for their motivation to not have a political or religious bend.

Edited by daniel l.

26 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Should we share little snippets of our stories? For like, criticism and such. Not the whole story, mind you, just a page or two that you felt was particularly well written and/or that you're proud of.

Yeah sure why not?

Im bored so i think i will write, something. A simple, short story.

On 11/5/2017 at 7:55 AM, daniel l. said:

Any villain or villain-group that seeks power over a nation, must have a political or religious ambition.

At least under some definitions, seeking power equals political ambitions.

A few pages from the book I'm writing. This passage is near the beginning, but it's still out of context so don't expect to fully understand everything :P

Spoiler

Well,” says Eric, spinning around in his chair, “we keep getting orders, but we can’t place them.” He looks over at me. “Are you still checking the news?

No,” I say, rubbing my eyes and pushing myself away from the desk. “Just thinking.”

Same old?”

Yeah, same old.”

Eric nods knowingly. “What happened happened. There’s no point griping about what could have been. Point is, we need to prepare.”

I sigh heavily and tap at the armrest; a nervous tic. “We need Adelaide to help.”

Eric scratches his chin. “I’m working on that.”

And we need supplies. We can’t build a ship with all these material restrictions.” I glance out the window, squinting in the light of the sun. “Do you even know what that’s all about?”

No. I don’t see how a war would lead the government to shut down most of the Fusers.”

They’re not all shut down. Some are still being used.”

Yeah,” says Eric, standing up. “And have you seen what they’re pumping out? Hull plates. That could be anything. Even buildings have those sometimes.”

Mm.”

I shift in my seat. Fusers are enormous machines that essentially reassemble atoms to make other, different elements. They literally rearrange the subatomic structures to make whatever element you want. The newly-made matter is then passed over to a 3D printer, which makes the product itself. You can dump a tonne of dirt into a Fuser and have it print out solid gold.

Not that it would do you much good. Money’s more or less worthless these days.

About a month ago, the government started restricting public usage of the Fusers. Furniture, tableware, even the construction of buildings, has all been indefinitely delayed. Instead, the majority of the Fusers now work on some ‘confidential endeavour.’ I don’t think any of us civilians know what they’re building. Presumably more warships.

How are you going to bring it up with Adelaide?”

I don’t know,” mutters Eric, now standing beside the coffee machine. “I’ll see.”

Right.”

Lately, we’ve been talking about building a ship for ourselves, in case the war goes wrong, and we don’t manage to escape or something.

The subject infuriates Adelaide, but we – mostly Eric – consider it an essential precaution.

So,” says Eric, waiting for his coffee to finish pouring. “I was also thinking we could shut down the company.”

It’s not a company,” I say, rubbing my eyes again. There’s literally just us two and Adelaide. We design ships – or rather, we used to, since now that the Fusers are occupied, we can’t get our designs printed.

Shutting down isn’t a bad idea,” I admit after a moment. Eric sips his coffee, then says something along the lines of ‘gah.’

Too hot.”

I’m not sure Adelaide would agree to shutting down though.”

Eric shrugs, blowing into his coffee. “There’s nothing to do. All we’ve down these last few weeks is sit in our chairs and surf the internet. We can’t do anything.”

I stay quiet, still drumming my fingers on the armrest. Eric begins to sip his coffee, but then stops to say, “Want to go for pizza?”

What?”

Pizza,” says Eric slowly, making a funny gesture. “That delicious triangle you can put into your mouth and –”

You mean right now?”

He shrugs. “Sure. I’ll go ask Adelaide.” He sets down the mug and heads for the door.

The ‘office’ is really just a square room with glass walls, fit into a corner of the building floor. A large, open area with plushy couches and a table is situated in the middle, while the remaining corners hold identical offices.

Though, these days, they’re all empty. We’re the only crazies that still come over to their workplaces every day. Some people have decided the war will be lost, and so are cramming as much activity and happiness into their supposed remaining days, while others, like Adelaide, refuse to believe that the war will go wrongly, and instead live on as normally as possible.

And then there’s the in-between, such as Eric and myself.

I watch Eric as he crosses the common room, heading to the adjacent office where Adelaide is seated. She insisted on having her own space, a request that led to much head-scratching on Eric’s part.

He taps on the glass, says something I can’t hear, and gesticulates absently. After a few moments, Adelaide mumbles something indistinct and waves him off. He walks back, a grin on his face.

What?” I ask, when he saunters in.

She said yes.”

Well duh. . .”

Does this count as a date?”

No, remember, because I’ll be there,” I say dryly. “When are we leaving?”

Constructive criticism?

Edited by Earthlinger

10 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

Thanks it's up

Okay, so in terms of humour, that first one was hilarious. The idea for the second is also quite unique, and I feel like it could easily evolve into a very humorous and memorable story. Are the two related, btw? Or just different versions?

Regardless, you should definitely continue :D

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

Okay, so in terms of humour, that first one was hilarious. The idea for the second is also quite unique, and I feel like it could easily evolve into a very humorous and memorable story. Are the two related, btw? Or just different versions?

Regardless, you should definitely continue :D

Thanks! What do you mean first and second I only did one 

Edit: Oh the Scottish highelands one was someone else. I only did the one with Berd the farmer 

Here is another. It's about some army guys that are under orders to "stop the blob from spreading."

Edited by Findthepin1

7 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

Edit: Oh the Scottish highelands one was someone else. I only did the one with Berd the farmer 

Oh, my bad lol :P

It was the funniest one :D I'll read over the blob one later

2 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

What kind of suggestions

Amateur suggestions

22 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

Here is another. It's about some army guys that are under orders to "stop the blob from spreading."

That one was interesting lol

I still like the first one better though :D

Are any of you writing full-length books?

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

That one was interesting lol

I still like the first one better though :D

Are any of you writing full-length books?

For the last couple years I have been slowly working on a novel but I haven't made maiorbproegeess since February

Deck 1- Airlock section one and forward docks

Deck 2 through 10- research labs

Deck 11 (five normal decks tall)- Sky Scanning center

Deck 12- Zero- G recreation

Deck 13(twenty-four normal decks tall)- Pressurized manufacturing area and four very large airlocks

Deck 14- Connection to spin gravity modules

Deck 15- Connection to ship yards section

image?w=639&h=444&rev=515&ac=1

image?w=338&h=265&rev=1&ac=1      

(Made using google draw.)

(Very WIP)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.