Science fiction authors of the KSP forums, UNITE!

Spaceception

I have an idea for a story, its called Zanzalurs Odyssey, Its about near-apocalyptic future, during the oil chrisis. Humanity finally makes the decision to colonize the Solar System for our survival. Spaceflight has been long forgotten however, luckily, a bunch of smart and rich people spend enormous amounts if money on Space travel and within a decade they put a base on the Moon.

It is going to be realistic, with realistic concept for propulsion.

Edited by NSEP

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

I have an idea for a story, its called Zanzalurs Odyssey, Its about near-apocalyptic future, during the oil chrisis. Humanity finally makes the decision to colonize the Solar System for our survival. Spaceflight has been long forgotten however, luckily, a bunch of smart and rich people spend enormous amounts if money on Space travel and within a decade they put a base on the Moon.

It is going to be realistic, with realistic concept for propulsion.

Give us WIP reports :) It sounds interesting :D

Im going to read the atomicrockets website now, and im working on a spacecraft for my Sci-Fi, that must have around 30km/s and no disposable parts, while being in the range of modern tech. Maybe using a fusion reactor, powered by a nuclear reactor and with a magnetic nozzle. Have any ideas? Maybe i should design my own NTR?

29 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Im going to read the atomicrockets website now, and im working on a spacecraft for my Sci-Fi, that must have around 30km/s and no disposable parts, while being in the range of modern tech. Maybe using a fusion reactor, powered by a nuclear reactor and with a magnetic nozzle. Have any ideas? Maybe i should design my own NTR?

Your mind-boggling science speak is boggling my mind in mind-boggling ways

Translation:

What?

:D

Edited by Earthlinger

2 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Your mind-boggling science speak is boggling my mind in mind-boggling ways

Translation:

What?

Translation:

Help me design a spaceship that can go really fast with technology of today/yesterday.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Translation:

Help me design a spaceship that can go really fast with technology of today/yesterday.

I'm not too good with that type of thing :P (And yeah I know, I play KSP, I should be an expert :D)

On a side note, I just wrote this:

Spoiler

It was in the morning. The sun was barely rising, it's soft red glow slowly staining the sky in increasingly lighter shades.

Red, orange, yellow, and then the usual, blinding white.

I had been walking down one of the alleyways – the ones between houses, the ones strewn with little stones and flanked by garbage cans every few metres.

In those days, every house had their own garbage can.

The backyards were all neat – orderly lines of flowers, or vegetables, or tiny trees. . .

I remember kicking a stone – a piece of gravel, which I had gotten from the main road.

Skipping down that road, carefree and young and happy and free of worry. . .

I remember hearing the low, rumbling boom of the missile.

But it didn’t explode.

Not then, at least. It burst apart a kilometre above the town, releasing thousands upon thousands of leaflets.

For a few minutes, it was practically snowing. White papers with text scrawled on them fell from the sky, landing gently on the ground, on roofs, on cars and trees and in vegetable patches in backyards.

I remember staring, open-mouthed, at the veritable rain of paper. I remember snatching one out of the air as it drifted by me, fluttering in the gentle wind.

I remember the text, too.

This town has been Targeted by the Coalition

Evacuate now

Bombing Begins in Five Hours

My heart had fallen then. I could feel that sickening plunge of dread and regret and fear, that cold, prickling shiver running up my spine at the sight of those words.

Why us?

Our small town of fourteen thousand. . . We didn’t even have a laser turret. We were one of those old-fashioned villages where people lived simple lives.

Farming communities.

We had nothing, and yet the bombs fell.

The leaflets were true to their word. They warned us, and with no room for confusion.

But did we leave?

. . .

I did.

. . .

I watched the bombs fall from orbit. Big blue bullets, ten metres tall and tinged with red flames as they tore through the atmosphere, towards my home.

We had nothing to offer - no money, no resources. Nothing but our lives.

It wasn’t long before I found myself in a recruitment office.

Eight months after that, I found myself in a dropship, streaking towards an enemy outpost filled with refugees. The pilot up front yelled an order, and the firebombs in our cargo bays were released.

It’s funny how it all goes round in an endless cycle. Sad, too.

But I don’t think about that.

I do my job.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎23 at 6:59 PM, Boorang said:

I have a WIP book called the thirtieth of February.

What's it about?

Edited by Earthlinger

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

I'm not too good with that type of thing :P (And yeah I know, I play KSP, I should be an expert :D)

Its not that hard, just a simple calculator and simple estimates is good to design a basic spacecraft.

I did not reach my 30km/s goal, but i did however get 15km/s for my transfer vehicle (9,1km/s when you include the habitat and return vehicle).

It can send a staggering 85 tons to LMO (Low Mars Orbit), and 130 tons to LLO (Low Lunar Orbit) i introduce you to:

UNTITLED SPACE CRAFT!

djnljiz.jpg

And i also designed this thing, named after Hugo Grotius, some Dutch Guy who escaped prison in a really creative way (look it up). Its an inflatable habitat. (Inclusive Orion/Federatsya class Spacecraft)

JAjwmA6.jpg

6 hours ago, NSEP said:

Easy: Mini-mag Orion.

29 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Almost forgot!

Does not sound too strange in a world with an overdose of nuclear weapons.

Mini-Mag Orion doesn't use nuclear weapons, though. The charges can't go off without an external field. Classic Orion, on the other hand...

10 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Mini-Mag Orion doesn't use nuclear weapons, though. The charges can't go off without an external field. Classic Orion, on the other hand...

Thanks did not know that! Opens Atomicrockets and looks for Mini-Mag Orion.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:31 AM, NSEP said:

Pulsed plasmoids are another alternative.  Basically its ball lightning in space.  

Hey writer types! I am not really a writer or a world builder. But I'm looking to collaborate with one or two on a mod that adds Easter Eggs and kind of revives the idea of a storyline behind them. I've got a few notes of my own for background but would like some help fleshing it out (or brand new ideas that are better than I could have come up with). I won't say too much here so that the people can explore the story once the mod is released but if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll add you to a DM group chat. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Booots said:

Hey writer types! I am not really a writer or a world builder. But I'm looking to collaborate with one or two on a mod that adds Easter Eggs and kind of revives the idea of a storyline behind them. I've got a few notes of my own for background but would like some help fleshing it out (or brand new ideas that are better than I could have come up with). I won't say too much here so that the people can explore the story once the mod is released but if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll add you to a DM group chat. Cheers!

Sounds very interesting! Looking forward to the release of the mod. 

I don't want anything to be spoiled so i will wait for it to be released.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.