A New Mod List for 1.2

Grease1991

I've been enjoying ksp for a few years now and have become completely addicted to numerous mods out there, and in the last years ish it seems like the community mods and plugin list has gotten crowded with currently out of date mods that don't work with the latest build of ksp.

My thought is maybe we should start another page just for the mods that are fully functional/updated in 1.2 for the ease of finding them instead of going through a huge list of incompatible mods, 

I'm in no way saying anything negative towards the mods but the current list is a bit overwhelming, especially when they may or may not work with the latest build.

10 hours ago, Grease1991 said:

My thought is maybe we should start another page just for the mods that are fully functional/updated in 1.2 for the ease of finding them instead of going through a huge list of incompatible mods

You have plenty of tools to search for updated mods. For starters, each mod's forum thread generally has its supported version(s) in the thread title, so you can easily see when something is not 1.2-compatible. It has become a quasi-standard, with only the greenest of newcomers not following suit (and then usually someone recommends it to them inside the thread). Also, on both Spacedock and Curse/Curseforge, you can filter for specific supported versions when searching. CKAN even defaults to only showing mods that your current KSP installation can run.

I somewhat support this, but can't think of a good way to do it without burdening the forum moderators. My thought would be to have 2 forums, "mods for older versions." and "mods for the current version" (with the version listed in the forum title). The day a new version comes out, every mod in the "current version" forum is moved to the "old version" forum, and the "current version" forum is renamed. Then, when a modder releases an update for the current version (and properly titles their thread :D) they ask a moderator (via "report this post") to move it to the current version.

That would clean up the mods forum for sure, but jeez I'd hate to moderate it. And these people ARE volunteers, it's not like we're paying them.

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

The day a new version comes out, every mod in the "current version" forum is moved to the "old version" forum, and the "current version" forum is renamed.

A plenty of 0.18, 0.25 and 0.90 version mods will stay forever alive.
Some of them can be alive indeed (simple parts) others just haven't been officially buried.

19 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

A plenty of 0.18, 0.25 and 0.90 version mods will stay forever alive.
Some of them can be alive indeed (simple parts) others just haven't been officially buried.

That's fine. The threads would still be present, and they could be posted in, and in no way would they be hidden. But until the modder applied to be promoted to the "current version" thread it would stay in the thread where it belongs, mods that were created for an older version of the game.

I quite like 5thHorseman's suggestion of having split lists for mods. I would suggest myself that the up-to-date list should include mods "working with latest version" - including mods for older versions that are verified to be working with the current one -, the rest being separated. But, of course, there's also plenty of resources, as stated by Streetwind, to keep track of updated mods, to which I would also include the, often forgotten, forum search tool. It is amazing what it can do. So, while a list of updated mods is something that depends on people having time and will to do it, keeping track of your favourite mods' updating state isn't as hard as it might look like :P.

14 hours ago, Streetwind said:

You have plenty of tools to search for updated mods. For starters, each mod's forum thread generally has its supported version(s) in the thread title, so you can easily see when something is not 1.2-compatible. It has become a quasi-standard, with only the greenest of newcomers not following suit (and then usually someone recommends it to them inside the thread). Also, on both Spacedock and Curse/Curseforge, you can filter for specific supported versions when searching. CKAN even defaults to only showing mods that your current KSP installation can run.

I'm just saying that instead of trying to update the current Mod list thread, to make a new one dedicated to 1.2, as an ease of access type thing, cause it can take alot of time to check if mods are ready to go for the new build,

and maybe it's something im doing wrong but typing in a pretty generic keyword like "1.2" in the top right search bar gets one post from the .25 engine ignitor thread and i was surprised at that. (it doesn't usually work for me)

Plus not all mods are on Spacedock/curse etc, and again a single page with current mods would be super convenient.

[EDIT]

I had never really check out ckan before and while it looks like it will do everything i want it to do and more, i still dont think a new mod list would be a bad idea

Edited by Grease1991

Grease, I too often consult the list

an updated page would be very useful.

I also use ckan, however sometimes just looking on the forum page is easier when looking for something new..

I do hope someone will take it upon themselves to do this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.