[Request] Transforming Kerbal Head Project

theJesuit

Calling all modders!

As JPLRepo has pointed out in a post below, there is now the possibility of replacing the infamous Kerbal heads with different 3D models.  The KSP code now allows this.

The request is really two parts, if someone(s) is/are able to assist with either of them that would be great!

1. Write the code .dll that would replace the head of a Kerbal using an object made in an accessible 3d modelling programme.
    (I'm not suggesting that 3d modelling is easy, but if anyone wants to have a go, then open source such as Blender might be a good option unless others are easier to use and are cheap!)

2. Create some alternate kerbal heads or offer themselves for requests (or commissions).

Thank you for considering this worthwhile project!

Peace.

Original Orinigal Post

Hi all,

There is a mod, Kerbal Space Ponies, available on SpaceDock that changes the Kerbal head models to ponies of all things.

http://spacedock.info/mod/352/Kerbal Space Ponies

I can't find the author of the mod on the Forums, and have no idea how to contact Veon.

What I really want to know is how Veon managed to change the head model, and if someone knows how to contact Veon whether they would be up for a request.

Or if someone else was up for a challenge request.

Or if I could be pointed in the right direction on how to go about it myself if I learnt 3D modelling.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
Updating OP to reflect request

Hi the mod uses a C# plugin to alter the heads, plus of course the models,,. the odd thing is that none of the model files are in recognizable formats, however the file types included may actually be encoded to be read by the code,  but the whole structure seems a bit odd to me. Admittedly I've done zero modding of kerbals so it may be as it should be.  

The source is listed should you want to have a look, though not overly complex it's not that simple either if you are looking at it from the perspective of starting to make mods for KSP

Confirmative. Here's what i know:

• Veon is russian (or russian-speaking) brony (Веон, email:[email protected])
  • The models he use are of his own uinique format - "more an absense of format than actual format" (exact cite).
  • Those models were converted from some plaintext model file like .obj. he had before.
  • He does have a tool (script) capable of .obj conversion to his format.
  • He denied to share script for community "because it looks untidy" (exact cite).

P.S. We could really make some "Kitty Space Program" thing with proper tool...

art-zhivopis-kartina-painting-3688.jpg

Edited by Dr. Jet

Thanks @kerbiloid, @SpannerMonkey(smce), @Dr. Jet.  This is obviously possible, how difficult would it be for a modder to achieve?

What I was hoping for is for a semi easily manipulative model (in blender) that I can adjust so I can put my kids faces into the game :) even if the uncanny valley is completely awful.  

Alternately making the head smaller so I can photoshop faces in easier.

Peace.

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hold your horses, people! Don't you remember how this turned out last time?

Image result for ksp scott manley head pack

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! MY EYES ARE BLEEDING!!! (Yes, I know that's from build battles.) 

Actually, I think @pandoras kitten would probably like the kitty space program idea. So would I. Seriously, the Scott Manly one is super creepy! 

Edited by max_creative
Not that I don't like Scott Manly. I just think the kerbal faces are freaky.

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

This is obviously possible, how difficult would it be for a modder to achieve?

Veon's tool? If you are persuasive enough to convince brony that some third-party mod NOT involving ponies is more important than his own aestetic feelings... Quite possible. :D But my own persuasiveness is not strong enough.

BTW. I misspelled above: "denied sharing" not "refused to share". It's still an open option for persuasion.

7 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

KSP 1.2 API changes allow anyone with enough knowledge to completely replace the kerbals, animations, etc.

Can you be more specific? Does this involve writing code, or just new models with proper configuratiuon file will be enough? 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Jet said:

Can you be more specific? Does this involve writing code, or just new models with proper configuratiuon file will be enough? 

I meant someone who is able to write a mod/code and create new models, animations, textures could replace the entire kerbal.
Just doing models and config would not be enough. you need code to replace the models and animations.
but 1.2 does allow this now, where before it was very difficult.

Edited by JPLRepo

Just now, JPLRepo said:

I meant someone who is able to write a mod/code and create new models, animations, textures could replace the entire kerbal.
Just doing models and config would not be enough. you need code to replace the models and animations.

That's a pity. My last coding experience had place about 13 years ago. And it was not even object-oriented.

Okay everyone, I'll update the OP for a request to do two things:

Write the code .dll that would put replace the head of a Kerbal using an object made in an accessible 3d modeling programme. (I'm not suggesting that 3d modelling is easy, but if anyone wants to have a go, then open source such as Blender might be a good option unless others are easier to use and are cheap!)

Have others (or the same) create some alternate kerbal heads or offer themselves for requests (or commissions).

Thanks for your feedback, especially @JPLRepo for pointing out that this is now actually a possibility! rbray89

It s a shame @shaw and @rbray89 aren't currently active as they might be able to do something with Texture Replacer.  However, let us throw it open!

Peace.

I love the idea of Kitty Space Program :) 
I can do some coding and eager to do this but was lacking ideas. However, I'm absolutely useless when it comes to modelling.

Edited by whale_2

7 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

we could finally ditch the collars?? That's all I want

@MrHappyFace is the one most experienced with Kerbal bone and animation structure. He's prob too busy to do this mod himself but may be willing to provide referential support

Also, I wondered if @RangeMachine would think if it was worth/ able to added into Texture Replacer, or something similar?

Peace.

23 hours ago, whale_2 said:

I love the idea of Kitty Space Program :) 
I can do some coding and eager to do this but was lacking ideas. However, I'm absolutely useless when it comes to modelling.

Well, modelling is no problem at all. In worst case one can just chop off a head from free model - like this or this. Problem is having a proper tool for game insertion, capable of working with some decent file format (preferrably .blend or .mu) and proper rigging scheme that will work for stock animation clips. I, myself, can do some modelling and even some rigging in Blender (though didn't have much experience with animated characters), but I'm almost useless when it comes to proper texturing or modern coding.

Edited by Dr. Jet

7 hours ago, passinglurker said:

So if the api allows kerbals to be replaced can ksc buildings be replaced too?

@sarbian did say his next version of Custom Barn Kit was coming with some new features and a long-standing ToDo for that mod was to allow you to define the building models...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.