[Minimum KSP: 1.12.2] Snacks! - Friendly, Simplified Life Support

Angelo Kerman

2 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

This old parts set is worth checking for the .cfg files. Some parts (the storage) should still work. The greenhouses have a flaw in how the sun-angle for snack-generation seems to be in the wrong direction for the windows.

https://spacedock.info/mod/943/Snack Parts By Whyren Version 5.2

OK, the Snackhouses work in v1.4.1 The sun angle axis is about 45° off from the apparent axis of the windows. I suspect the axis id defined in the .mu file and it is going to need access to the source files to do anything about that.

@Wolf Baginski, I'm reading MM's thread right now. I actually use Whyren's cool snackhouses (I love them), but they are of the 2.5m size. I'm actually planning on using them once I built a space station of the 2.5m size, alongside SSX's awesome parts. Oh man I can't wait > _ <

15 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

OK, the Snackhouses work in v1.4.1

That's good to know. I'm actually not planning on updating to 1.4.1 in the foreseeable future, but it is still good to know.

As part of my role playing right now, the R&D is testing the feasibility of self sustainability in space. Using different components (parts) made by different companies (mod makers), I'm creating mobile bases with greenhouses and checking to see whether they can really sustain a certain amount of crew. It's gonna be awesome, I can't wait! 

It's arguable that 1.25m is a bit small for a useful greenhouse, but the Soylent mod, mentioned upthread, could bypass that problem. It does look a little contrived, and if that's what a Kerbal thinks provides adequate food, I am not sure I want to risk a MacKerman's Happy Meal.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/112127-122-soylent-life-support-through-algae-v0061-20161231-big-hellfire/&

5 hours ago, Ventzi said:

getting a null reference point when attempting to change difficulty settings, 1.4.2

Same problem. Actually trying to open any difficulty settings with this mod in 1.4.2 bricks the game and requires a client restart. 

I'm kind of a noob with CKAN, but I'm still playing 1.3.1, and CKAN is telling me that Snacks 1.9.0 is compatible with 1.3.1, while spacedock shows 1.8.7 is the last compatible.  CKAN installed 1.9, and I'm getting zero effeciency in all my modules, the snacks resource is still present, but none of the buttons are available.   I don't know if this is an error on CKAN's end, or in the Snacks listing.  I'm going to manually downgrade to 1.8.7 and apply the patch listed above in the thread for the over zealous use of EC. 

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I'm kind of a noob with CKAN, but I'm still playing 1.3.1, and CKAN is telling me that Snacks 1.9.0 is compatible with 1.3.1, while spacedock shows 1.8.7 is the last compatible.  CKAN installed 1.9, and I'm getting zero effeciency in all my modules, the snacks resource is still present, but none of the buttons are available.   I don't know if this is an error on CKAN's end, or in the Snacks listing.  I'm going to manually downgrade to 1.8.7 and apply the patch listed above in the thread for the over zealous use of EC. 

1.4.2 broke the 1.4.1 update

1 minute ago, SessoSaidSo said:

1.4.2 broke the 1.4.1 update

Not running 1.4.2.  Running 1.3.1.

Ckan is keeping all my other mods compatible with 1.3.1, but forcing the 1.4 snacks on me. 

Edited by Gargamel

Ok, I found the problem. It has to do with the snack grinder efficiency. That's now fixed, though you'll need to redo your settings.

Also, I have a new death penalty that I'm testing for Snacks. The original mod did have kerbal death as an option, and while I don't think it's in the spirit of Snacks, it'll be an option in the next release. By default it's turned off, and you can configure how many skipped meals it takes before a kerbal dies (max of 42 skipped meals).

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

Ok, I found the problem. It has to do with the snack grinder efficiency. That's now fixed, though you'll need to redo your settings.

Also, I have a new death penalty that I'm testing for Snacks. The original mod did have kerbal death as an option, and while I don't think it's in the spirit of Snacks, it'll be an option in the next release. By default it's turned off, and you can configure how many skipped meals it takes before a kerbal dies (max of 42 skipped meals).

now this is serious concurrence to USI-LS and TAC with that option .. I still prefer it over the other ones!

Snacks 1.10 is now available:

- Fixed NRE causing the Settings menu to not appear.
- Kerbals can now die from a lack of Snacks! This penalty is trned OFF by default, and you can change the number of skipped meals before a kerbal dies in the settings menu. Kerbals listed as exempt will never starve to death.

• 2 weeks later...

I accepted a rescue mission for a kerbal in orbit of Minmus and I'm getting penalties for him being out of snacks whilst on my way there. Is there a way to have the pod that they are in to spawn with snacks? Also I added his name to the does not consume snacks list and still lost rep and funds, maybe I did this wrong?

20 hours ago, Ogre1983 said:

I accepted a rescue mission for a kerbal in orbit of Minmus and I'm getting penalties for him being out of snacks whilst on my way there. Is there a way to have the pod that they are in to spawn with snacks? Also I added his name to the does not consume snacks list and still lost rep and funds, maybe I did this wrong?

In my experience, Kerbals do not start consuming snacks until they have been activated.  By that, I mean you have switched to them or the pod they are in.  I have kept a to be rescued kerbal in a pod for months without getting to them, and they did not consume anything (there isn't any on the ship to start with) nor did I get any warnings they were out.   But once I have switched to the pod, I start to get warnings.   I believe the clock doesn't start ticking till the first time you take them "off rails", which normally would be the launch of a vessel.  

So now, I never view view the pod/kerbal until I'm within docking range, and by then, I'll have them onboard before they want their first meal.   

@Angel-125, This would be an interesting (optional) feature to include.   Spawned rescue missions would start consuming snacks from day one, and the pod would be fully stocked at contract acceptance (currently I've noticed the pods are empty, even the ones I've rescued within hours).  These kerbals could have an adjustable consumption rate, as they would be rationing their food. 

Another idea then too.  Add a "rations" option.  This would probably be a major overhaul, as it would require the addition of a GUI element on the right click menu of the command pod, but it's something to think about.   Enabling rationing from a command pod would reduce their food consumption.  1/2 rations would knock all kerbals down a level of functionality, 1/4 rations 3 levels.  After retuerning to full rations, the reduced level would persist for a percentage of the time they were on rations, say 10%.   This would prevent a player from sending an interplanetary mission on 1/4 rations, then upon changing SOI's, have fully functionality right off the bat.   If the ration time was 100 days, then they would require 10 days to come back to their full level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any links to mods that add greenhouses? (as I have a station in orbit and I want it to be able to generate snacks)

Also, will I have to start a new world to enable Snacks! Or will I just have to change the difficulty?

Edited by TeslaPenguin1

1 hour ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Any links to mods that add greenhouses? 

There's mine which adds Mk2 and Mk3 ones and is purpose built for life support (provides a snack grinder and a greenhouse in each size, plenty storage options and more nifty things..... actual greenhouses and some functions may require Pathfinder, Angel's base parts mod)

Then there's this big and really awesome one... (2.5m and 3.75m only, I think there are 2 snack grinders, but also lots of storage options)

Then there's this base parts mod but who's stopping you from making a station with base parts? :p (Only has 1 snack grinder. I think it's rather lacking in Snacks support)

1 hour ago, TeslaPenguin1 said:

Also, will I have to start a new world to enable Snacks! Or will I just have to change the difficulty?

No, you won't have to start a new save but you'll have to disable Snacks as soon as you get into your save, so your kerbals don't starve while they're waiting for you to attach Snacks parts.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I just completed a Duna mission and I noticed that the snacks supply estimate in the Snacks! toolbar window is way off.  The mission started a 330 day voyage to Duna with 3 and a half Kerbin years worth of snacks for the 5 man crew.  By the time they reached Duna they had less then 30 days left.  Fortunately, I had predeployed just enough food for the trip back, as I originally planned a longer duration stay at Duna.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.